PDA

View Full Version : Hoyt Spiral to Cam 1/2 conversion??

Ohio_3Der
March 8th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I have a ultra tec with spirals XT3000's on it right now. I'd like to go to from the spirals to some cam 1/2's. My limbs are rated at 50-60 pounds. I'm spirals are for a 29" draw.

I'd like to go to cam and halfs on the same limbs. What cam size do I need? This is a 3D bow, so the fastest option is what I'm looking for. What size cam and what length cables and strings?

How much speed do you think I'll loose? How many pounds will the bow go up? What will the ata be and the brace height be?

Is it worth going this route? I can't get along with the spiral cams at all. My grip evidently isn't jiving with these cams, so I hear. I can't get rid of a left tear through paper.

Thanks

HoytShooter88
March 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
If you go to Hoyt's siteyou can look everything up there..

Bobmuley
March 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ohio:
Just swapped mine out last night, only the other way. Went from cam 1/2 to #4 Spiral. Built the string/cables before the spirals came and took about 10 minutes to swap cams and adjust the cable lenghts for timing, and to twist string for my draw length. Center shot and nock height was setup the same and it rough tuned easily through paper.

A D cam should work good for you, I think its 28.5 to 30". You should just need cams, string, and cables assuming all your existing hardware is in good condition (spacers, axled, limbs, etc).

HoytShooter88
March 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Here is the link to the tune chart for your UltraTec...

http://www.hoyt.com/technical/mychart.tpl?page=03_ultratec.i nc&cart=11103142892421784

Ohio_3Der
March 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I have already seen that, but I have a question. The cam and halfs are adjustable, how much adjustable, what is the range in a cam? I see that I need a D cam with the 4 module in the D module position for a 29" bow. Does that mean that that cam is on it's longest setting at that module/position? Does that cam go from 27.5-29 or 28.5-30 or something different?

How many pounds, about, am I talking about gaining in the switch? What's the speed difference going to be, roughly?

JAVI
March 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Changing to a softer draw force curve ain't gonna fix the problem... but if it makes you feel better go for it.... :eek:

Ohio_3Der
March 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Javi, I have your number, I'm going to swallow my pride and give you a call. When's a good time? I can call pretty much anytime, including the next few hours. Just tell me when.

got_elk?
March 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Guys,

There was a major foul up in ordering my ultra-tec. I looked at the Spec chart one of you listed and I see that the string and cable lengths are different for the original 29" spiral versus the 30.5" I was suppose to get. The owner just swapped out the cams and left the same strings on. I think the cam says on it sl-70 or something like that. The bow appears fine and the cams are within the tuning marks but I'm not quite sure its like it really suppose to be.

How can I be sure this bow is really set to it's intended specifications and I really got the right cams and strings on it???

thanks for any help...

Bobmuley
March 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Mark, get that thing on a press and measure the string/cables. If the string/cables are the right length it will feel alot better when drawing than if the cam is "forced" to fit you.

I think you need a Number 7 cam for an XT-2000 Ultratec at 30.5"

JAVI
March 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Bob….

Go on over there and fix it for him… if it came with 5.5 cams then the string will be a ½” short… Should be 60.0” the control cable will be ok, but the buss will be a ¼” short..

If it came with 29.5” cams # 6.0 then everything will be ok….

Bobmuley
March 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Jave, Thats a great idea,

Mark tell me what you've got (limbs and cams ,and what draw length you want) and I'll make you some strings and cables. I owe you one as it is. :)

Jave: Your old #4s are working sweet. :D Ended up putting them on the 3000 limbed Ultratec. Lost a whopping 1.5 pounds, but gained that great wall.

got_elk?
March 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Bob and Mike,

I think you both are right on. I had a feeling the draw just seemed a little short and I now know the strings are just as you said mike. I'm not as adept with these thing as you two are so I was trusting the shop to get it right. Which they will, it just takes some discussion since I now have facts and some verification.

thanks for your help!

Bobmuley
March 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM
If you need anything Mark, just let me know.

got_elk?
March 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Bob,

Seriously you owe me nothing.. just a little misunderstanding and my own weird tendancies. Except when you pushed me on that black bear shot! :D things could have been different had I not blew that one and I might have given you a run for your money.

But perhaps I should take up your offer seeing the way you shoot. Perhaps your string making capabilities have something to do with it.

Bobmuley
March 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Just shoot me a PM if you need anything.

I figure if I'm handicapped with my non-WC strings everyone should be. ;) Levels out the field a little. :D

Did Ohio_3Der get his problem sorted out?

Ohio_3Der
March 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I spoke with Javi a little the other night, and he offered plenty of routes to take, but unfortunately I didn't fix my problem. I tried a totally new grip with no avail. I also checked all of my bow specs, and some of them were way out, and I fixed them, but to no avail. I still have a left tear! I don't know what to do next. Maybe this hoyt isn't for me and my style. I wish we had more hoyt people in the area to help me out with this thing. My next venture is to borrow the same bow from a buddy that has some cam 1/2's on it just to see if they would help me at all. But, if it's my grip, I'm sure they won't.

I would guess that if I could shoot a perfect bullet hole with the other bow, then it may go back to something is wrong with my bow. If my grip works on the other bow, it shouldn't just be because the cams are a little different.

Any other ideas out there???

JAVI
March 9th, 2005, 03:17 PM
One more question, I didn't touch on.... Do you have an aftermarket cable slide on the bow?

And can you send me a photo of the tear...????

Ohio_3Der
March 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I tell you what, post your email, and I'll send you photos of my tear, my rest, my grip, and my form. You can take it from there. It won't be tonight though, I have a archery committee meeting that will run late.

I'll send you pics though! I may even post them here.

Oh, and no, I don't have an aftermarket calbe slide, it's a hoyt slide. The cable guard is one thing that I have tried to fool with to fix my problems. The tear gets the best when the guard is as close to the arrow as possible, like you would think. It's a stainless guard, not a fiber guard, which I would prefer, I just don't have one.

Ramhunter
April 14th, 2006, 12:15 AM
So did you get your problem solved? I have a protec 3000 with spirals and have had similar problems. I can get very close on the tear, but not perfect. I know how one grips can be an issue, but I really don't think that is the problem I'm having.

I'm shooting a trophytaker rest, and I tell you what I first tried this rest on a mathews conquest and had the same left tear problem. Sold that bow, got the protec and while the issue is less, it is still there. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the rest, or specifically the cord? I have powder tested and I know I don't have any contact with my fletch and the rest, but I'm not sure about the cord.

So Javi, you're saying the spirals vs regular Cam 1/2 would have no bearing on this issue? They say the regular cam1/2 is more forgiving - I guess I don't understand what is meant by that. I know the spiral has less valley, but that hasn't been an issue for me in shooting this cam.

Confused in Colorado.

Ramhunter