PDA

View Full Version : 4"or 5" what would you use ?

Bubbahoyt
March 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I'm making some new arrows for a bow hunt and i'm torn between 4" or5" feathers . I'm shooting carbon express terminators with 150 grain german kinetic silverflame . I think the 5" will work better . Just wanted to get some feed back and see what all the fellow AT junkies had to say .

cobowhntr
March 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Your set up screams work horse!!! So I'd go with a steering system capable of consistanly steering a work horse. I would test just to make sure that U still get good rest clearance w/5". U might also check into the different shapes as some may provide better control than others.

njshadowwalker
March 9th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Ive always shot 5" fletching. As long as you can get them to clear your cables/rest etc shoot the 5" in my opinion.

Bubbahoyt
March 10th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the input . Looks like I got some fun shooting ahead of me .

Dave Nowlin
March 10th, 2005, 12:49 PM
To be perfectly honest I would recommend 4 inch Quick Spins as they can be fletched straight and they will impart more spin than the 5 inch feathers. The real interesting point with the Quick Spins they actually should be fletched staight as the little tab on the vanes causes the spin. With a straight fletch clearance problems are minimized.
Dave Nowlin

jonnybow
March 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, the quickspins should be fletched straight but offset slightly right according to the manufacturer.

Jon

littlebubba
March 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I would go with the 4 inch. Been shooting them for about 25 yrs. with no problem. If you have trouble with the 4 inch maybe you need to retune your bow.
ZIGZAG

460461whatever
March 10th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I just want to add to all the good advice so far. I shot 5" feathers for a few years on 2315s and had to work the rest and nocks just right to avoid fletching interference. I just went back to carbons and am using the four inch now and clear the cables and prongs just fine. I don't know how close you are on your spine with the heavier broad heads, or how straight those arrows are in the first place, but you might need the added spin. Feathers are better than any vanes if you can't seem to get the bow tuned perfect IMO.