PDA

View Full Version : Picking a spot!

spitfire
September 19th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Has everyone got there opening day spot picked out yet? How about the deer that you hope to cross paths with on opening day? I have two spots that i am trying to decide on & that i will narrow down to one in about two weeks.

jeremiahjacobs
September 19th, 2002, 09:06 PM
I always have at least 5 spots in mind. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding where to hunt. I am also always looking for more land to hunt.

Daniel Boone
September 27th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Have twenty stands but no special spot. Usally dont see big boys until third week in Oct. Usally try to help some guys take does on ranch. We have way to many. Ole Robk and his Dad are coming to get there first bowkill. I have gameplan for them and have idea or two for me. We only shoot 8ptrs or better on my lease in Ok. I am ready!

Dbowguy
September 29th, 2002, 05:32 AM
My opening day spot in Md. has been the same for several yrs now. In 8 consecutive hunts from that stand, I harvested 8 rack bucks. The 9th and last time I sat it, I broke the streak, I passed on a buck that ate wild cherries around me for over an hour. He gave me every angle possible at less than 10 yds...I didn't have to release the arrow to prove anything. I won the game. All I had to do was slowly squeeze that release. I just said gotcha under my breath and let down 3 times. Happy to report another hunter in our lease got him 3 days later and he was ecstatic. I just admired the unique small rack and the excellent shot placement. Congratulations were in order

redtail
October 9th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Noticing your other thread, I’d say you made the right choice in stands!! :)

I love having to make major decisions, that’s why I hang multiple stands and then question my choice from the time I make it, till the time I go home empty handed…
:rolleyes:

kbrown
October 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
We have mulitple stands also and manage to take deer off the same hill year after year. You know the golden stand rule " If you see deer around another stand and you move, the deer will be under the one you just left" I had been seeing some deer under some oaks out in a field edge about 100 yards from my stand. I have my 15 year old daughter hunting in another stand so I decided I would set up another old ladder stand for her on the field edge for yesterday afternoon. We went in early and got it set and I told her where I had been seeing the deer, showed her all the droppings and I think it revved her up, I know it does me. Well we hadnt seen anything all afternoon and it was getting about time to come out when this nice little 4 point came walking up to my stand. He was a little far for me and I knew if he messed around long enough he would probably wind up down by the girl. He picked up on something about me and trotted right down to her. I did the old bobwhite whistle to alert her. She got a shot at him but shot low. Oh well, there will be others but you cant put a price on the look of excitement in those big brown eyes when you first get down there and she says " where did he come from!" I said " I told you there were bucks in here" We talked it over, found the arrow. I had showed her some of the yardages that afternoon and she and I decided that he was a little past the 20 yard pin that she used. All in all a wonderful afternoon and priceless. Good luck everyone and the season is still early. She has two gun kills but no bow, the bow is a special one for me, it took me till I was 19 years old.

Derbytown
October 9th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Great story kbrown. I hope she gets the little buck next time on stand. Do you think the deer has her stand placement pegged? Sometimes it only takes once. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

kbrown
October 9th, 2002, 04:16 PM
I think he had me pegged but from the way he acted after she shot I dont think he had a clue, we shall see. The little buck was actually a bonus since I had been seeing does there about every day. The first buck I have seen this year in fact off stand. We are headed back out this afternoon if the rain holds off. Does not look good for tommorow. I have a 10 year old girl that has been sitting on the stand a couple of afternoons with me also. She is a bit young and figgity but she seems to like it. They are on fall break from school and I am taking a week of vacation, moms working, hey somebody has to. They have one in spring also, too early for turkey so we crappie fish at Rough on that break. No boys, shot the balls off of both of them. I am a party leader at Fort Knox and the oldest has taken two with a shotgun up there plus she killed a jake during the youth hunt this year for her first turkey. Good kid, in fact they both are. Got to teach them while you can because you dont have them long.

kbrown
October 11th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Well I thought he had me pegged but wednsday afternoon the little buck came out in the field, messed around for about an hour and layed down just out from my stand about 40 yds away. He never made it down to the girl. It was getting about time to come out so I didnt want him to see us so I got thinking as to what to do. I thought I would throw something at him to get him up so that he may go down to the girl. I had an apple so when his head was turned I gave it a toss, he jumped up and looked around like what the heck was that. He finally wandered on off the same way he came in. The weather has been too bad to make it back out so hopefully we can get back out sat morning.