PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bow hunting In NH this year? ~ Any luck?

BrokenLimbs
November 14th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Looks like most hunters here in NH don't use A/T anymore.

Nothing has been added to this forum in about a year.......
Is this a "dead thread?"

jlavoie
November 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Southern part of the state is dead. No shots and very little activity.

k'em-n-g'em
November 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM
my brother is hunting round east kingston and he has not seen a deer in two years.. I was hoping to come on here on get a couple pointers for him but i believe i need to point him to western ny

jlavoie
November 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM
The F&G has been selling doe permits (4000/annually) in the M Zone which Kingston is part of. You have large groups putting on drives and many of them have 2-3 doe tags in their possesion. I think after 2 serious winters out of the last 3 they have managed to distroy the natuaral reproduction of the deer herd. I can't remember the last time I have not killed a deer in NH, but this year sure looks like I am gooing without, and I'm not alone.

BrokenLimbs
November 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Been tough up north too.. People are now seeing deer, but little sign in the places it's usually found.
None of my friends have scored yet.

As usual, I've hunted hard.... (Maybe a little smarter, and a little less hard.)
I've been blessed by filling all three tags here in Carroll County (all with bow.) ~ Finally did it!
Nothing big, all 120-130lb dressed. 128lb dow, 120lb "dorky-forky" and a 130lb 6pointer. (I'd call it a 4 with 2 extra nubs though.) ~ YUM!

Odd thing is, 15 years ago, I didn't hardly know what I was doing out there, but saw deer all the time around here. I've seen fewer deer this year thus far than ever.....
(so my results I am sure can't be "the norm")

My girlfriend saw a monster buck in the neighbors front yard this morning, on her way to work......

Good luck everyone, season is not over yet....

1Badboy
November 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM
got an 8pt in september , been slow since...waiting for a decent buck...usually the week after gun season they hammer the food ESPECIALLY withe this snow !
goodluck !

Archer Bunker
December 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Plenty of deer this year! No acorns to speak of three tags filled with a bow. I have an M permit but I agree to many pumpkin heads running around like coyotes chasing deer. i just can't get myself to hunt out in section M. Mybe next weekend I'll have to try to get out in M to go out for the last time.

NHLHVECTRIX
December 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I live in section M and every yahoo that bought the m tags have come in to everyones back yards and have shot up our town. deer have gone into hidding bedding till dark in everyones back yards. I think I heard 1-3 acorns fall all season. we have no mast crop at all.

1Badboy
December 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
nows the time i love !
love hunting with a bow in the snow !
got an 8pt with a rifle last week , so now i just have to find a good buck to hunt before the season closes !
goodluck to the few still out there !

dt5150
December 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
shot a 149 lb. 5 pointer on oct. 22nd and a 90 lb. doe on nov. 18th. both bow kills, got skunked with the gun again this year.

1Badboy
December 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM
well its over now ...passed a few deer , looking for a decent buck but couldnt find one in the last week that i could get on ...
now to dream and scout for next yr !

BrokenLimbs
June 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM
New season coming fast!

dt5150
June 20th, 2012, 04:27 PM
indeed.. 3 months away!

bull moose
July 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Getting closer....Ill be concentrating most of my time in J2...with some WMNF excursions thrown in at times...

dt5150
July 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
we've got some deer here in j2... lost a couple areas to posting and new houses though. they're also logging a piece right behind my land, i'm hoping they're not going to build there. if they're just logging, that's fine, but please don't build anything!

archerynut611
July 25th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Anyone out there in the rindge nh area? Looks like there is going to be a ton of acorns this yr. Have mixed feelings about that. But I am anxious to get started with the new season.

regnar
August 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Yep no deer down this way. Everyone may as well go to MA. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

oldvt.bowhunter
August 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
This year you can take a doe starting the 1st day of the season, so F&G must figure the herd has recovered to some extent.

regnar
August 25th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Has nothing to do with that. The only reason that this was done in the first place is because gun hunters pressured F&G saying that we had an unfair advantage killing does and that it made it harder for us to hunt them. This came right from the mouth of the Normendau at one of the public meeting last year. They changed it back because the total kill and the distribution of the kill was virtually unchanged. What was changed were fewer archery licenses sold. We get a lot of MA hunters in the southern part of the state for the early part of the season just to shoot a doe. Not being able to hunt one till oct made them hold on to their money and F&G did not like that at all~!

oldvt.bowhunter
August 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I didn't realize that! We all know the Almighty Dollar controls everything! Sad but true.

Duramax05blk
September 5th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Freakin Gun Hunters!!!!! any ways getting ready for this upcoming season last year sept 25 shot a 162lb 8pt in Hillsborough county.

archerynut611
September 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Freakin Gun Hunters!!!!! any ways getting ready for this upcoming season last year sept 25 shot a 162lb 8pt in Hillsborough county.Nice, I live and hunt cheshire county and got skunked, but I am anxious for this up coming season

archerynut611
September 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Anyone out there in the rindge nh area? Looks like there is going to be a ton of acorns this yr. Have mixed feelings about that. But I am anxious to get started with the new season.Oh, And I am not fan of gun hunters either.lol

Duramax05blk
September 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Well it's close to end of opening weekend any buddy have any luck? Nothing her yet few buddies jumped a few does and one shot a doe but haven't heard much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfp1972
September 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I was out yesterday for the afternoon shift and saw 3 sets of deer. All were does and fawns. I'll give it a couple more weeks before taking a doe. Beautiful out there this time of year whether you get a deer or not.

mtfallon88
September 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I've been poking around Newton/Kingston but no love yet. First year deer hunting NH so we'll see what happens!

Duramax05blk
September 20th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Good luck bh can be tough but rewarding

archerynut611
September 20th, 2012, 03:55 AM
So far its been pretty slow here in jaffery and rindge

BrokenLimbs
September 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Seen a few tiny ones & black bear in Carrol.... Gonna get one this afternoon though! ;-)

Duramax05blk
September 20th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Couples buddies tagged a few 100lb does in Goffstown. I'm early season spots got cold fast with our early abundance of acorns and poor apple tree growth. Time to break out the summit

archerynut611
September 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Smoked a nice doe last night, now got my sights on a good buck in one of my areas. Got to get him before the gun hunters come out.

Duramax05blk
September 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
My buddies deer in my walk in cooler 3 does all between 100 And 105 my buddies Doe this morning shoot from summit at 40 yds w/ slick trick outta reezen time for z7 to eat

Duramax05blk
September 23rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Well hit a nice 8 prob 2 1/2 little high n forward hit at 630 hopefully recover in am fingers crossed

mtfallon88
September 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Did ya find him?

Duramax05blk
September 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately not went out at 6 searched till 6 even called in a licensed dog for close to four hours

BrokenLimbs
September 25th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Seen a lot of very small deer and passed them up. Yearlings & fawns. One was tiny, like a runt! (All of 40 lbs maybe, no spots and looked healthy. At first I mistook it for a fox, which you never see in the morning around here. On second take, I realized it was a tiny deer.) Weird thing is, I've seen several fawns & yearlings on numerous occasions, usually in pairs (different deer with each sighting), but I've never seen an adult doe with them. ~ Something is different.

I've seen a few big deer too. One way too far out, and the other saw me first. (Doesn't happen often, but I got busted hard! With the bubbling brook & morning shadows, never saw it coming from the direction I least expected....) ~ Oh well, that's hunting!

Good luck everyone!

bull moose
September 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Well....830am opening morning I screwed the pooch on a 15 yard shot at a nice 4pt out of my tree....Im still crying about it.
Have been seeing deer almost every time I go out both in the Lakes Region and up here in the Whites.
Passed up shots at a couple of small does at 20 yards.
Shouldnt be too much longer before I let another arrow fly.

mtfallon88
September 28th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Shot my first deer ever last night around 6pm in southern NH! Will post the story in them main section but it was a ~100lb doe at ~33 yards. Didn't go far!

Duramax05blk
September 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Good deal man congrats pm me if u need to hang her for a bit got cooler running

Atrane21
October 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Went out last night and saw a smaller doe about 20 yards out. Debated on shootin her but i let her go since she was on the smaller side. Figured it's still early in the season and have plenty of time.
About an hour after that coyote came in, went to draw and i bumped my bow on my stand and he took off. Oops!

mtfallon88
October 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Duramax, I wish I saw this post earlier, that would have been great. She's in the freezer now after sitting on ice in quarters for a few days. Maybe next time!

Duramax05blk
October 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
No problem just pm me or shoot me an email extentracing12@gmail.com

bull moose
October 2nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
I had 2 skippers come out at 15 yards on me Saturday night...couldnt do it....too small.
Jumped a buck and a doe in same field Sunday at 2 in the afternoon and didnt see another until I was hiking out.
Tonight I found my first scrape.

Atrane21
October 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
checked out a new area last night and i'm pretty sure i found my new spot! about 20-30 nice rubs on 2 trails. Give a try this weekend.

This was one of the bigger rubs i found.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/305062_10150249149004955_20114 64829_n.jpg

dt5150
October 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
i whiffed on a doe at 40 yards last weekend, shot just under her. i haven't seen anything my last 3 sits though. i think the acorns in some of my spots have been gobbled up so i believe they've moved on to another acorn/feeding area. just gotta find where they're at.

Duramax05blk
October 5th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Had 3 does and a skipper At 40 this morning skipper gave me a shot @ 24 but elected to pass as she was maybe 50 lbs

Duramax05blk
October 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Heard 3 shotgun shots saw two guys with shotguns ;(

dropride
October 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Heard a couple shots this morning. Havent seen snything my lsdt couple sits.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Duramax05blk
October 21st, 2012, 03:45 AM
Any buddy seeing any good movement chasing etc..

mtfallon88
October 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Headed out in the morning, will let you know.

BrokenLimbs
October 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
I got all "bucked up" yesterday @ 7:30AM (in J1): I "smoked" a 160 lb. 7-pointer @ 20 yards. I literally blistered it! 2 good sized black bear had just rolled through too far out and too fast to even contemplate getting a shot. I thought hunt was "toast." I was hoping that just maybe the might kick something back my way. Sure enough 10 minutes later I "sensed" something. First thing I saw was "bone" coming from "the hard side" of my harness stand @ about 20 yards. (thick in that direction) I was able to pivot around to the front side of the tree silently and get into position without the deer noticing.....

By the time I was in position, I only had one small hole left in that direction (after getting into position) and apparently I "willed" the deer right into it & "threaded the needle." Next thing I knew the ~20 yard shot was off. (I never ever remember drawing! I always (only) remember "green pin locked on target" then the sound of what you hear from a good impact. I think my brain goes into "kill mode" and everything happens automatically without thinking about it. And when it goes down like that, I don't even get wound up & caught thinking about anything other than shot placement.)

Anyways, impact sound was great and instantly I knew the hit was very lethal by the noise the deer made bolting away. Also, it looked like the front and back legs weren't quite working together properly. From deer's response, it appeared as if I hit high in the back. Anyways, the story doesn't end here....

I'm sitting in my stand waiting (30 minutes at least before a slow get down) even though the shot looked great etc. But only 2 minutes after the shot I hear another deer coming? NOPE.... Coyote. I go to grab my bow (hanging from my hip) and realize it's not hanging from the D-loop, and it's not even "loaded" so I quickly get to work. The coyote came in from the opposite direction after it heard all the deer's thrashing as it tried to escape. (I was quite sure I heard the deer crash over the knoll, but just after the shot deer's rack was "cracking" small trees as it bolted away after arrow impact.) I didn't have enough time to get a shot after setting up, (I did draw back, but it was about 10 seconds too late) just as the coyote swung around and began heading to where I thought the deer was. I had picked up the deer's scent, blood trail so I did something I never do in a tree.

I start calling out to the yote warning it of my presence, trying to scare it away. Not sure of the coyote was up to I get down from my stand instantly and begin making noise heading towards the deer's anticipated direction. I cross over a spray paint trail of blood. Coyote gone, deer down and expired exactly where I expected. Shot time to recover, about 10 minutes total! (Not what you usually do, but felt it was my only option. Also, how weird is it to talk loudly from a tree stand?)

Shot placement was literally "perfect" (go figure, given the circumstances) as deer was quartered away @ about 60 degrees. (I think it swung a bit before arrow hit.) Deflated the lungs & arrow "bulls-eyed" the center of the heart. ~ Front 2/3 of arrow was still in deer, arrow cut all the way to just inside the front shoulder and tip barely cut skin between briskit and shoulder.

FYI: I was using the new ExpanDead heads (shooting in closed position) from Sanford Innovations from my 70# Bear Carnage. The fully locked open (after impact) broadhead did it's job, that's for sure! (If it was a side shot, I have little doubt it would have made it all the way through even if it clipped a rib. There was a big entrance hole too!

Sorry for all the "drama" but all of this happened in a 20 minute window!" (Not to mention this is now my biggest & best boned buck to date with a bow! ~ I've shot several 200+ lb. bucks years ago, but only with rifle / muzzle loader.) ~ "Feels good!"

BrokenLimbs
October 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
Because it has a strange rack, I'll put some photos of this deer hanging once I get them in good light. It has a thick boned rack, but it looks "odd" to say the least. Almost like it ran into the side of a vehicle when antlers were still soft. (Can that really happen?) Who knows, maybe this deer was "mentally challenged" after "running into something", and that's why I was able to get it? :eek3:

When you first see the rack structure, you initially assume the deer is going to be larger than it is. ~ At least I did, because that's the first thing I saw coming from behind cover. Still a really nice deer with a bow. (Aren't they all?) ~ Nevertheless, my fiends were thinking it went ~170 lbs., but I think it's because of the rack.

Duramax05blk
October 22nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Congrats sounds like some awesome t.i.t.s time on stand. I took a small 70 lb one last night passed last week and 5 times just keep coming back same thing with g5 stricken spray paint trail double lung and buried arrow 3 inches a root.

dt5150
October 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
i've been seeing deer, but seem to keep getting busted for one reason or another. i got winded once, then i bumped 2 going to my stand in the dark, then the last time i got busted because of a peice of bark falling off the tree and hitting my steps. i heard it fall off the tree and then i heard "PING...", 3 does and they all bolted. 10 min later i stood up to pack it in (dark) and one of em was apparently still around. caught me moving and started blowing like crazy.

all slick heads so far, nothing with head gear as of yet.

Duramax05blk
October 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
The one I shoot last night should have busted me directly down wind for an hour had some nose jammer out prob to much one 4 second blast a base off on some shrubs and one tree at height. They caught and got nervous and walked about 30 yds but never blew or stomped then they just were walking around trying to figure it out and finally present me with a shot. I would deff would recommend it but I certainly do not use it every hunt. Only twice this year in different spots does not take much. I think if you use it a lot they will get educated Quick. Just my .02

BrokenLimbs
October 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
The one I shoot last night should have busted me directly down wind for an hour had some nose jammer out prob to much one 4 second blast a base off on some shrubs and one tree at height. They caught and got nervous and walked about 30 yds but never blew or stomped then they just were walking around trying to figure it out and finally present me with a shot. I would deff would recommend it but I certainly do not use it every hunt. Only twice this year in different spots does not take much. I think if you use it a lot they will get educated Quick. Just my .02

I've read more bad things than good things about nose jammer. I don't dare use it. As for the photos, still working on that.

Duramax05blk
October 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
what kinda of stuff have you heard? I have only used the stuff twice, prob wont again with rut coming in and will be able to use much more effective cover scents. I prob should have added that both times were within a few hundred yards of houses with strong winds coming from houses to were deer came from. I am not a basher just curious of others experiances, Thanks. Cant wait to see the funky 7pt

BrokenLimbs
October 23rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Because it has a strange rack, I'll put some photos of this deer hanging once I get them in good light. It has a thick boned rack, but it looks "odd" to say the least. Almost like it ran into the side of a vehicle when antlers were still soft. (Can that really happen?) Who knows, maybe this deer was "mentally challenged" after "running into something", and that's why I was able to get it? :eek3:

When you first see the rack structure, you initially assume the deer is going to be larger than it is. ~ At least I did, because that's the first thing I saw coming from behind cover. Still a really nice deer with a bow. (Aren't they all?) ~ Nevertheless, my fiends were thinking it went ~170 lbs., but I think it's because of the rack.

Here are the photos.....

Definitely some good bone at the base. But notice how the bone structure goes back and then abruptly swings forward (both sides) at what almost looks like a "fused bone break". Almost as if they hit the side of a vehicle or something while still in velvet? Also, the arrow sticking (IN) is the entrance hole, fletching area was broken off. ExpanDead broadhead made it all the way from entrance to barely breaking the skin between the shoulder and brisket. Surprisingly, I pierced the heart "dead center!" (Hitting dead center on the heart was probably more luck than skill.)

Duramax05blk
October 23rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
He's a dandy. How far did he go would guess not very

BrokenLimbs
October 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
He's a dandy. How far did he go would guess not very

Thank you!

He didn't go far. As the crow flies, he ended up less than 100 yards away, but took a fairly erratic path..... I usually pull out my GPS and use "Point & Go" function to estimate last known visual/position. (A great way to "intercept" a blood trail after the blood really starts flowing.) Anyways, after watching & listening to him run, I didn't bother to on this one..... (Not that I even really had time either, because of the coyote!) Deer bolted over the knoll (~50 yards away) and out of sight with problems from the first step. (Hitting everything on the way with his rack, it sounded like this deer took every small tree down in his path.) It was the most noise I've ever heard a ANYTHING make in the woods, that's for sure! ~ From all the noise, I was pretty sure it was going to be a quick and easy recovery. (Not 10 minutes "coyote-quick" though!)

defrost
October 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Nice one! My cousin and uncle have seen a ton and she's missed a couple.

BrokenLimbs
October 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
i've been seeing deer, but seem to keep getting busted for one reason or another. i got winded once, then i bumped 2 going to my stand in the dark, then the last time i got busted because of a peice of bark falling off the tree and hitting my steps. i heard it fall off the tree and then i heard "PING...", 3 does and they all bolted. 10 min later i stood up to pack it in (dark) and one of em was apparently still around. caught me moving and started blowing like crazy.

all slick heads so far, nothing with head gear as of yet.

RE: The "ping" from the falling bark..... That is some bad luck. No doubt it will change for you this upcoming week/weekend! ~ Keep the faith!

I know how you feel about getting busted..... Prior to my good fortune on Sunday, for the past two weeks, I kept getting busted (seemed like every time) walking down the main trails to my stands. (Not in the woods near/at my stands, but close enough to ruin the hunt, & it didn't matter where I chose to hunt. It was happening almost everywhere.) If I wasn't busted going in in the early AM under dark, I was getting busted heading out just as I hit the main walking trail! (I've never had so much trouble getting in/getting out as I have this season!) ~ Last year I only got blown at once early in the AM after I was already setup in my harness. This year, I've heard deer blow at least 1/2 a dozen times, probably more & I'm using the same main walking (snowmobile) trails (the quietest part of the walk) heading in and out! Fortunately, my first deer / "beast" (I'm naming this deer "Bonehead") never had a clue, amazingly not even @ 15 yards......

PS: Thanks everyone for the "congrats." While I'm a meat hunter, it's the first deer I've taken by bow with "good bone." :smile:

archerynut611
October 25th, 2012, 03:52 AM
So talk about bad luck, The buck I have been hunting got killed by a car last night while crossing the rd. Now my confidence to shot a descent buck this yr has dropped considerably.

Duramax05blk
October 25th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Bad luck man. Fortunately there are more deer in the woods just keep with it you'll locate an another bruiser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

dt5150
October 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
i'm thinkin of leaving work early today to hunt the PING stand again tonight. the winds are near perfect for it.

dt5150
October 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
sat in the ping stand last night. perfect wind, and i could hear everything for a country mile. squirrels sounded like elephants. 545 i hear crashing and running coming from the timber headed to the opening i'm set up in. thinking/hoping is a doe or 2 getting bumped around by a buck... then a deer pops out of the timber into the clearing.. jumping and dancing around, having a good ole time all by itself. small deer.. as it got closer i could see it was a little button head. he fed on acorns all around me, 30 yards, 20, 15, and then to 5. he milled around for a half hour then eventually moved off. i coulda shot him several times but he was just too small, probably 80 lbs or so. little fella so i let him walk. that was the only deer i saw, but it was a beautiful night to be out.

Duramax05blk
October 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Anybody hunting near Hollis Amherst are. Met a marnie looking to start hunting this years ha an 870 with no experience but plenty of gun and marksmanship experience. In gonna do my best to help him but I have no experience in the area. Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

sshamberger
November 1st, 2012, 08:50 AM
Got my first kill with a bow, 7 lb Turkey lol, good eating made turkey pot pie that night, yum. Started hunting last year with bow seen a nice Ten Pointer, a thick 6 pointer, and a small 4 all in the same field. Just can't seem to get in right position for close enough shot. Scraping is happening now hoping weather stays cooler. Best of luck to all. Gonna get em !!

BrokenLimbs
November 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Smoked another one this morning @ 8:45. Taken at ~35 yards, maybe a touch more. Through the sight ring I watched him "sink" right into the arrow... Nice ~140 lb. buck w/a decent 4pt. basket. ~ Last day before the area gets raided with smoke sticks. Two for two.

Called this guy in with estrous bleats. Two down, one to go. (I'll be back out there with my bow once rifle season opens. "Go Carnage Go!!!") :grin:

BrokenLimbs
November 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Got my first kill with a bow, 7 lb Turkey lol, good eating made turkey pot pie that night, yum. Started hunting last year with bow seen a nice Ten Pointer, a thick 6 pointer, and a small 4 all in the same field. Just can't seem to get in right position for close enough shot. Scraping is happening now hoping weather stays cooler. Best of luck to all. Gonna get em !!

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up "Patience, patience, patience & you will be rewarded!" ~ Good luck back to you. I'm guessing you must be just a touch north of me.

archerynut611
November 5th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Smoked another one this morning @ 8:45. Taken at ~35 yards, maybe a touch more. Through the sight ring I watched him "sink" right into the arrow... Nice ~140 lb. buck w/a decent 4pt. basket. ~ Last day before the area gets raided with smoke sticks. Two for two.

Called this guy in with estrous bleats. Two down, one to go. (I'll be back out there with my bow once rifle season opens. "Go Carnage Go!!!") :grin: Nice job, Had a nice doe come right under my stand sunday morning. already shot a doe but fun to watch her.

BrokenLimbs
November 5th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Nice job, Had a nice doe come right under my stand sunday morning. already shot a doe but fun to watch her.

Thanks Archerynut611. Hope you get your buck too. Funny thing is, I thought I had taken a good sized doe. (still had tag) I just can't see the antlers with leaves down at that distance, unless they are big antlers. I think many bow shots are passed up on bucks because they are presumed to be does @ 25+ yards when they are "normal bucks".....

Anyways, as for watching, it's very entertaining & educational to watch deer that don't know you're there. I think it helps tremendously with timing and technique. I had seen quite a few does early season, but passed them up for one reason or another. (Either with young, very small, or thinking I didn't want to burn my doe tag yet because it's so hard to see antlers with leaves down at a distance for me.) Anyways, after the first 2 weeks, I saw almost nothing and kept getting busted going in/out to stand. For a few weeks after that I really began to think I was going get "skunked" this season.

It always "seems to happen" when you least expect it, and when it does: It seems sooooo easy (right after the shot anyways, almost as if "it was meant to happen"). But the next time in stand I relive the whole event thinking to myself: "How the heck did I just pull that off, and how the heck can I do it again." ~ And then "history repeats itself." ~ Hope I can do it one more time this year with bow, using my rifle tag. Time will tell...... I'm out hunting bear right now with bow.

PS: Looks like you're using one of the original C/P bows from B/T. I absolutely loved the size and design of my Admiral, but it turned out to be junk & B/T wouldn't stand behind it. (Shot placement became erratic after ~1000 shots or so.) ~Is that a General in your profile photo?

archerynut611
November 10th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks Archerynut611. Hope you get your buck too. Funny thing is, I thought I had taken a good sized doe. (still had tag) I just can't see the antlers with leaves down at that distance, unless they are big antlers. I think many bow shots are passed up on bucks because they are presumed to be does @ 25+ yards when they are "normal bucks".....

Anyways, as for watching, it's very entertaining & educational to watch deer that don't know you're there. I think it helps tremendously with timing and technique. I had seen quite a few does early season, but passed them up for one reason or another. (Either with young, very small, or thinking I didn't want to burn my doe tag yet because it's so hard to see antlers with leaves down at a distance for me.) Anyways, after the first 2 weeks, I saw almost nothing and kept getting busted going in/out to stand. For a few weeks after that I really began to think I was going get "skunked" this season.

It always "seems to happen" when you least expect it, and when it does: It seems sooooo easy (right after the shot anyways, almost as if "it was meant to happen"). But the next time in stand I relive the whole event thinking to myself: "How the heck did I just pull that off, and how the heck can I do it again." ~ And then "history repeats itself." ~ Hope I can do it one more time this year with bow, using my rifle tag. Time will tell...... I'm out hunting bear right now with bow.

PS: Looks like you're using one of the original C/P bows from B/T. I absolutely loved the size and design of my Admiral, but it turned out to be junk & B/T wouldn't stand behind it. (Shot placement became erratic after ~1000 shots or so.) ~Is that a General in your profile photo?Yes that is a General, I love that bow. But I also have an admiral that I love as well. I have had great success with both of my bows and love shooting them. I find it odd that b.t wouldnt stand by your admiral cuz they have always honored their warrenty with me. I shot my general so many time that 2 yrs ago I wore out the cams and axels and b.t fixed it for free. Did you buy your Admiral from a dealer or private sale? And did you fill out the warrenty card?

BrokenLimbs
November 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yes that is a General, I love that bow. But I also have an admiral that I love as well. I have had great success with both of my bows and love shooting them. I find it odd that b.t wouldnt stand by your admiral cuz they have always honored their warrenty with me. I shot my general so many time that 2 yrs ago I wore out the cams and axels and b.t fixed it for free. Did you buy your Admiral from a dealer or private sale? And did you fill out the warrenty card?

Yep, bought it new (09 Admiral) from dealer (LL Cote) who even sent it back to factory. BowTech refused to replace bearings in it. Said it was fine and had shot it daylights out of it while back at factory. When I got bow back, peep was in backwards. Bow was a great shooter when new even with all the riser torque. (Pre-Flex model) But it developed a strange habit of "cycling in and out of phase." (Only way to describe it, as it would begin throwing "wingers" (6 inches off @ 27 yards after 1200 shots or so). I would keep shooting it until it got better, (back in "phase") and then take it hunting... Bow also made an awful click on draw some times. (I added spacers to roller which helped, but didn't solve issue.) It cost me a deer once from the clicking and also resulted in loosing only deer I ever shot but never recovered. (I think it threw a "winger" at the wrong time, as just before the "crack" I thought I had taken one of the best shots ever on a deer.) I've taken well over 20 deer by bow since 2003, most up here in j1, but a few out of state too.) ~ Based on size & layout, it was "the perfect bow" for tree stand hunting, but mechanically it was "BAD." (Ironically, bow looked like it was still brand new, except for strings, when I got rid of it.)

PS: Prior to having dealer send bow back, I spent weeks just trying to get in touch with B/T. No phone calls returned, no emails returned, nothing. If it were not for a guy here on A/T who gave me a name and direct number to call, I never would have been able to make contact with anyone at B/T. That's why I have absolutely zero interest in another B/T bow. (I've owned 3 of them, but their complete lack of customer service at the time did it for me.) In comparison, at that time I was able to go to Hoyt's website, call a toll free number and actually speak with factory technicians. (I didn't get a Hoyt, and I'm presently hunting with a 2011 Bear Carnage now.) However..... The first B/T I owned was the best and most accurate shooting bow I ever owned. A 2003 TomKat. It wasn't a rocket though. Unfortunately, I fell victim to BowTech's limb/pocket failure issues of the early 2000 bows. After the lower limb exploded (a second time at the dealer, by the dealer, while he was poundage testing the replaced limb) I ran from that bow. My 2004 80# VFT Justice (which I still have) is a nice bow. And I do like the the concept behind a CP/CPX bow. Maybe I'm ignorant, but it makes sense to me....

Hope your season is going OK! Any luck? I'm heading out about 11:00. (I don't enjoy hanging from a tree in 20 degree weather with a bow, so I spend long mid day hunts and stay until dark once the weather gets frigid.) ~ I don't bother with rifle/muzzle anymore. (I could have taken a big deer last week with muzzle loader when I was out bear hunting though, but I had the bow as usual.)

archerynut611
November 15th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thats too bad you had that kind of expierance with bowtech, I have always had great service from them. I have a 2010 admiral and I love it and my general. Can never decide which one to hunt with.
I have had the bat stuck up my ass so far this season. Sense the muzzle loader hunters have come out there has been 3 bucks killed within 300 yrds of one of my stands. I knew they were there thats why the stand is there. Unfortunately I dont make any money while I am in a treestand so got to work. See what happens this wknd I guess.
Where abouts do you live in NH?

BrokenLimbs
November 15th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Thats too bad you had that kind of expierance with bowtech, I have always had great service from them. I have a 2010 admiral and I love it and my general. Can never decide which one to hunt with.
I have had the bat stuck up my ass so far this season. Sense the muzzle loader hunters have come out there has been 3 bucks killed within 300 yrds of one of my stands. I knew they were there thats why the stand is there. Unfortunately I dont make any money while I am in a treestand so got to work. See what happens this wknd I guess.
Where abouts do you live in NH?

West Ossipee.

Now that it's in the low 20's in the AM, I pretty much hunt afternoons. (COLD & noisy walking in the darkness of the early AM) PS: Had I taken a muzzle loader out the other day, I could have blistered a big buck. No regrets as usual, deer is still there I think.... Maybe I'll get another chance with bow, who knows. I've already been blessed with 2 good shots on 2 bucks.

I hope you score this weekend!

PS: As far as the Admiral, I had contemplated trying the 2010 model with FLX. But after the BS B/T "shoveled", I bailed. The Admiral is a perfectly sized treestand bow, IMHO!

Duramax05blk
November 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Friday had a skipper At 60 yds from sunrise till 930 just bedded on edge of a thicket at about 8 had a buck grunting for 10 15 min I believe he was tending a doe. I unfortuently forgot my grunt so isn't enjoyed it and video it for a few min I posted the video under nh buck grunting or duramax05blk spent weekend in Stratford county one guy in camp missed a young 8 fri night on a green field. Sat and sun winding was wiping don't think deer were moving much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

hoythunter3d
November 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I hunt hillsboro area and it sucks there's nothing for deer in this state makes me want to quit hunting. Only state I know of that you can sit in a stand for a month and not see a deer

dt5150
November 29th, 2012, 01:38 PM
^ it sure can be tough.. do doubt. but hey, that's what makes new england hunters so good! if you learn to hunt here, you're cuttin your teeth on some of the toughest deer hunting around.

my string of poor luck has continued. last saturday i went out to a spot where i'd been seeing some does. i had 2 nice ones all around for 30 minutes the last time i was there but i had my slug gun with me and and doe days had already passed. this time i figured i'd bring my bow and the 10mm glock in case i had a buck just out of bow range. well i got 20 yards into the woods and jumped a deer. turned out to be a real nice buck.. he ran about 80 yards, stopped, turned broadside and looked around for almost 10 seconds. and i'm standing there with a bow in my hand and a 10mm on my hip. if i'd brought my slug gun instead, i woulda had a really good shot at that buck. figures!

dt5150
December 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
been hunting every weekend since that buck encounter and hadn't seen a single deer since then. i finally saw some last night.. 4 or 5, think they were all does. no shot at any of em though. only got 1 or 2 hunts left!

sshamberger
December 17th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Well of course here's the snow now that season is over just our luck here in New Hampshire. Never got a shot off with my bow ( except turkey). Sat in stand for total of 3 hours whole season just no deer near it once rut started. Got down the river where the acorns were and saw a ton. Saw a ten pointer twice. Went out with my brother ( and i know you don't want to hear this) but I got him with my 30/30 200 lb nice rack. Went out everyday after with bow and some close calls, drew back a few times just not the right shot. I will be getting one with bow next year !!!!! O yea deer I did get with rifle 1st deer in 25 years !!

benel3006
December 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hunted in D quite a bit and first year I haven't filled any NH tags. Hunting National Forest land and there didn't seem to be any nuts. A few acorns here but not many. Even the turkeys weren't scratching around much.

BrokenLimbs
December 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Spent a lot of time this season as usual here in J1.... (I honestly spend over 200 hours in a stand, so my results are almost embarrassing to say the least.)

Anyways, passed up 4 or 5 small deer (does/fawns) early in season. And got busted more often than usual during the first 4 weeks heading into stands..... (mostly in the AM) Good news is: I took 2 shots on 2 nice deer. (both tough shots by my standards) ~ First on 10/21 and then on 11/02, one day before muzzle loader season opened. Both deer (160lb. 7ptr. with lots of bone, and a 140lb. 4ptr.) are both on ice in freezer. :)

After that, I passed up one nice buck, couldn't shoot it. (I chose to go into the woods with bow that day for bear, because I no longer care about hunting with a muzzle loader.) It would have been an "easy shot" though..... Once rifle season opened (moving mostly to afternoon hunting once mornings get crunchy & cold), I never saw another deer. (heard a few though)

Didn't see many turkeys. Saw 5 bear & 1 coyote. Visual deer count was ~18 for entire season. (heard another 8 or so "under headlamp") They say numbers are up for NH as a whole... Definitely not the case around here.... "Tag soup" for most of the guys I know.

Hunting is extremely difficult around here..... Sure would be nice to (at least) see more deer!

dt5150
December 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
i hear ya there.. i ate all 3 of my nh tags this year. first time that's happened in quite a few years. it sucks, but i had fun anyway and i learned some new things as always this year too. i passed a half dozen or so, so it's not like i didn't have any chances, but i'm not gonna shoot a fawn or a skipper. that one good buck i jumped should still be out there though, he'll be bigger next year.

cloutier172
January 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Worked two different areas all season. Had a couple does hanging around in the early part of the season then it seemed like everything vanished. At the end of the season I was covering a lot of ground and there was not much if any signs around. Itís getting harder and harder to even see a deer in northern NH. With any luck next season will be a little better.