PDA

View Full Version : summit treestands

strubedog
September 19th, 2002, 07:18 PM
I was going to buy the summit viper treestand when I heard that they don't grip the trees very well and the self leveling doesn't work very well. Supposedly a friend of a friend slid down 10 of the 15 feet he was up.

Has anyone else noticed problems with them gripping trees or have word of mouth stories? They look very comfortable and would like to get one if it works well.

robk
September 19th, 2002, 07:35 PM
if you want a good climbing and comfortable treestand try the ol man treestands i have owned them for several years and they grab and hang on any tree. they are also very stable and easy to climb
sorry i can't tell you about the summit stands
rob k

martin-rage
September 19th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Hi robk I have a summit climber and have never had a problem with it most of the time you hear of something like sliding down a tree youll find the hunter did something wrong and just dont want to say.summit API old man there all good stands when used right .A lot of the bow shops today have the little fake trees in the store with the stands on them so you can see how go on the trees.Years ago the first climber I ever had the bottom half slide down the tree as I was on my way up the tree good thing I was only about ten feet up after I dropet down to the ground I swore up and down I would never use one of those dam things again aften looking at it awhile I thought to myself ok my foot gos under this strap but where dose the other strap go then it dawned on me it gos around my heel thats why it fell.The guys at summit make a good stand.

Nino
September 20th, 2002, 12:17 AM
I had a Summit Viper and did not have any problems with it at all. It was very quiet and I loved the way it packed up. Griped trees like the dickens. I could see maybey on a real smooth bark tree, if wet there may be a problem. I sold the Viper to get the Goliath cause I like a bigger stand. I also have the API Super Mag another awesome stand. Summit, API, OL MAN I beleive are the best.

Flyin6
September 20th, 2002, 02:26 AM
I have a Summit Cobra and absolutely love it. If the stand slid it was "pilot error". This thing is super quiet and more importantly comfortable. I found the Cobra after I posted on the Easton board. Everyone loved it and now I see why.

By the way use the tether rope that goes between the platform and the hand climber/seat!!!! An old hunting partner of mine had his Loggy platform go down the tree on him at 20+ feet! Needless to say the scratches and scars on his face and hand remind him now! Lucky he did not have two broken legs to go with it.

Mike Rhinefield
September 20th, 2002, 06:52 AM
I own 2 Summit Cobra XLS stands and never had any problems with slippage on trees when used properly. IMO the Summit stands are among the safest and most stable stands available today. I believe most if not all slippage problems result from improper use of the treestand.

3dsteve
September 20th, 2002, 09:25 PM
heres my 2 cents
i have a summit cobra an api grand slam supreme and an oldman vision and i hunt from the summit cobra the most i like the api also but the old man will slip with out a doubt i am willing to sell mine its only been used one season so bottom line is that summit makes a real good tree stand

Dave1
September 24th, 2002, 02:08 PM
I have three of the Summit climbers. These are the old style with air cushion pillow type seats. These are the most comfortable climbers I have ever had. Never had a problem with any slippage on a tree. Of course if you try hard enough any of them may slip on a hard bark type tree if you stand on the platform very close to the tree where the leverage of the stand is minimal.

The only problem I have with the Summit climbers is after lots of usage the insulating material (heat shrink) on the cables wears off exposing the steel knuckles and it now is now somewhat noisy when climbing. The cables move around back and forth in the slot and everytime the steel touches the aluminum frame it clangs.

I have tried to repair with various materials, tape, and heat shrink but haven't had much luck. If anybody has found a solution be sure to send me a private email to davisalf@aol.com

Thanks, Dave1
Winter Springs, Florida

jonnybow
September 25th, 2002, 12:57 AM
I also have a summit cobra XLS, love the stand and its very comfortable and safe. The heatshrink does come off quickly but I dont have any problems with it making any noise while climbing, just setting up. As long as your careful, its ok. I'd buy another Summit. There's no problems with them slipping on any trees as long as you seat the cable and grippers before doing anything.
Buy one!
Jon

deadeye
September 25th, 2002, 07:55 AM
The best tree stand I have ever had. So good I gave my old man
away. :cool:

strubedog
October 1st, 2002, 02:56 PM
Gander Mountain has 25% off all treestands and it is time for me to get one. Here is the only question I have left.

I am looking at the summit viper and the api grand slam. Which seat is more comfortable. I have back problems and will be trying to sit all day in it.

huntnnut
October 1st, 2002, 03:44 PM
Summit has had some problems with some welds braking on some of their stands a few years back. If you have one of those models they will replace the part for you at no charge if you contact them. I believe it was on the foot climber piece only. For more details contact the factory.

You should also make sure the bottom of your stand is tied off to the top portion of your stand prior to climbing the tree in order to prevent the bottom half from falling all the way down the tree and leaving you stranded.

Most importantly, always wear your safety harness!!!

huntnnut

Moonge
October 4th, 2002, 10:46 AM
I have a summit and have never had any problems with the stand at all. they are one of the best made stands out there if you ask me.

3dsteve
October 8th, 2002, 09:17 PM
i have both the API and THE SUMMIT COBRA and the seat on the API is better for long stays in the tree but i use the summit more because it only weighs 17# -vs- 22# on the long hauls deep in the woods where i hunt you need something light

stoz
October 10th, 2002, 08:48 AM
I sold my Summit viper to get an API with the shooting rail/ footrest, I just bought the Summit Python because the API is heavy, a pain in the you know where to hook up with the chain, and the base was unstable compared to the summit, I also like to mark the nuts on the cable on the summit so I know before hand how many I need for the size of the tree, the API you have to guess and hope, all in all I think the summits are hard to beat, A friend of mine has the ol man and says it rocks a little too, I don't know bc I have never tried it. The summit packs nicer than the API too. Hope this helps.

Scott

strubedog
October 10th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Yes that helps stoz, thanks. I am getting the ultra so I will have the footrest and shooting arm.

Sagittarius
October 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
I checked out most of the stands for larger hunters.
My favorites in this order are...
1 BuckShot BigShot Mag
2 Ol'Man Grand Multivision
3 API Grand Slam Supermag
4 Summit Goliath
To me, the BigShot Mag. is stronger, grips better, and is better finished.
Also, no rubber or plastic shrink tube to wear off or cables or chains to rust or fray like the others.
It doesn't put the others to shame but it, imo, is the best of the bunch.
You can get a free video from the BuckShot website.
I did and was very impressed.
Ordered one from my friend Pinwheel 12 at his http://www.pinwheelproducts.com website.
Check them out!

Sag.

http://www.buckshot-stands.com

strubedog
October 11th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks for your input but 32lbs isn't something I want to carry around and don't need that much room.

Actually I just ordered my summit viper ultra last night. I had basspro price match biggameproshops interent site, used a $15 from the redhead magazine and did the 6 pay plan with no interest which using one of my existing credit cards.

I feel great about my new purchase. Thanks to all that helped!

MY DOG JAKE
October 13th, 2002, 10:41 AM
I have used Summit stands for years
I have never had a problem with them
They are very light and VERY easy to use
I would and have suggested them to all my friends

BrianDamage
October 17th, 2002, 07:07 PM
I had my viper slide about 4-5 foot on me my first year I hunted. I was in a VERY slick, hard-barked tree...the teeth just would not penatrate the bark to get a "bite". It was also raining. Entirely my fault, 1)for picking that type tree and 2) I was new to climbing stands, and wasn't really using the proper technique when climbing

I've had NO problems since, either with my Viper or my Cobra

chalk it up to :"Operator Malfunction"

VA-RobinHood
October 19th, 2002, 08:43 PM
I've used alot of climber stand in the past and have always depended on Summit stands, they are light and easy to setup. With all climber stands, you need to get used to them prior to hunting. I spend several days a week climbing trees in the back yard getting use to the stand, even if I've had if for years.

mobowhunter
October 21st, 2002, 01:55 PM
Everyone has there own preference. No one stand will fit everybody. What I would recommend is that, if possible, try a few out. I tried Ol' Man, Summit, Bear River, W & S and API before I purchased. I went with Bear River because of the Belt System they use. I just couldn't get it to slip or move, I feel in love with it. One of my hunting buddies uses the Summit Viper and says there is nothing better, for me it didn't grip as good. For him it does great. Just make sure you get what you feel with fit you, not what fits everybody else.

mobowhunter
October 21st, 2002, 02:05 PM
Everyone has there own preference. No one stand will fit everybody. What I would recommend is that, if possible, try a few out. I tried Ol' Man, Summit, Bear River, W & S and API before I purchased. I went with Bear River because of the Belt System they use. I just couldn't get it to slip or move, I feel in love with it. One of my hunting buddies uses the Summit Viper and says there is nothing better, for me it didn't grip as good. For him it does great. Just make sure you get what you feel with fit you, not what fits everybody else.

Mikie Day
October 21st, 2002, 02:09 PM
I have a summit also and the ol man grand vision. I like them both fine but I did have one problem with the ol man, all I want to add is dont climb a cherry tree-it almost killed me (dont climb anything with a loose or layered bark.)

speedmaster
October 28th, 2002, 03:49 PM
I bought a summit viper with the cables before arhery started this year! I have never had any problems with mine either.I love it! It's the most comfortable stand I had to date! Not that I'd give up my Warren & Sweat climber. Only thing I bought the summit used & it's the heavier version not the light one. Oh well for a stand only used for half a season $50 was well worth it!!

strubedog
October 28th, 2002, 03:52 PM
I went ahead and bought the summit viper ultra and wow what a stand. It is like riding in a cadilac. Man is this comfortable and easy to use. Light to carry as well.

Thanks for all your input!

jjgrizz73
October 28th, 2002, 10:19 PM
I just got an API grand slam magnum supreme and im only 15 and I wasnt a bit afraid to go 25 feet in tree because it felt really safe.

hawgdawg
October 28th, 2002, 11:24 PM
I hunt from a Summit Phython and have never had a problem with slipping or sliding. This past weekend I made a hunt and I found out what I didn't like about Summits. Got caught out in a lot of rain and the cushion seats soaked up like a sponge and it takes a long time to get these things dry. I've owned an ol'nan before and to me they are a little easier to climb with, but the Summit is a little more comfortable.

Ryan
October 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM
I've been using the Cobra XLS for a couple of years, and I love that treestand. It's light, quiet and very easy to climb with. If anyone ever stole it from me, I'd definitely go buy a new one, no question about it. Good choice on the Viper.

BrianDamage
October 29th, 2002, 11:56 AM
strubedog

on a side note, if you friend slid down 10 foot sounds like he didn't have his harness on - the seat o' the pants harnesses that come with the Summits are hard to beat - tell him to be safe and wear it, especially when climbing

hawgdawg
October 29th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Went on afternoon hunt , got to location, attached stand to tree and luckily noticed that the v bar support weld was broken. Upon further checking the other side of bar also was starting to crack. Naturally I'm upset. No climber and going into peak of rut. I have e-mailed Summit to see what procedures to take but don't know for sure if I can trust these things anymore. Might go tomorrow and look at Ol'Man multi vision. Gotta have a climber and don't know what Summit will do. I've had this stand a little over a year.

Ryan
October 30th, 2002, 08:29 AM
I heard somewhere that they did have a problem with a couple of welds a while back. They'll fix it for you, give them a call. That, of course doesn't help you right now though. Good luck.

SteveR
October 30th, 2002, 09:57 AM
I have the Summit Cobra and for most situations it's very nice. It grips most tree species very well, but some you have to avoid.

My opinion of the Summit: Not the best climber, not the most secure, not the strongest, not the lightest, not the most comfortable and not the biggest. However, it's probably in the top 3 in all these categories. Add to that, the fact that it packs easily, comes with a great safety harness and is backed by a company with great customer service and you will be hard pressed to find something that rates anywhere near this stand in overall features.

hawgdawg
October 30th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Got message back from Summit and they are sending a complete new stand. Pretty fast response, of course a lot of liability issues could have arised if an accident could have occurred, thankfully nothing happened though. Think I'll still make trip to store and look at other stands. Can't hurt to have a backup.