Archery Talk Forum banner

Finally got the buck I have been chasing all season!

2K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  buckeyboy 
#1 ·
I finally got the buck I have been chasing all season. I started seeing him a couple months ago on a local farm that I have permission to hunt in (it is very local, like almost next door...). I actually missed this deer last year, saw him late in the season last year (Jan) and have been trying to outsmart him for basically two years. His rack is on the down hill slope, it was nicer two years ago when I first saw him. This is "that" deer that you think you have patterned, do everything right, pay attention to the wind, get up early, carry all the gear to your stand, sit until noon, then chase him out of your front yard when you go home for lunch. I have taken some very nice deer, but this one has to have been the hardest and the smartest. I was always one step behind this guy... until this past Saturday.

My son's birthday was this past Saturday and my in-laws all came in to celebrate. We were up kinda late on Friday, but my father in law really wanted a crack at this buck and insisted we got up and got after it Saturday morning. After 2 hours of sleep, I got up with him and went out. I put him in my "honey hole" where I thought he would have a great chance at this buck or another nice one I have been seeing. I figured I would go out to another area where I have been finding scrapes, and if worse came to worse, I would get some sleep in my climber...

It was not to be. At about 6:45 the woods exploded. I had does around me coming in from the cut bean field all morning. Then, I saw the antlers. He came to within 20 yards of my stand but was in some heavy briers and I didn't have a shot. He was grunting and moving pretty quickly along one of the paths a doe had taken earlier. His nose was glued to the ground. He came into the clear and was on a track quartering away from me. I made all kinds of bleats, snorts, whatever I could - he would not stop. I put my pin ahead of him where I thought he was going, and squeezed my release when my pin got to the front of his shoulder.

It ended up being the best shot I have made all season. The T3 went in through his ribs and came out in his arm pit. Got both lungs at 40 yards. He bucked and trotted off a little, started wobbling, and dropped within sight - maybe 35 yards from where I shot him. I am proud of this buck because I have been chasing him for literally 2 years (I took other bucks, just couldn't get this one...). It is very special to me.

I have never had a deer scored before, so I am curious what you guys think? What do you think he will score? I know there will be a deduction for the brow tine that is broke off (I like it... gives him character).

I also need to say that this is the first year that I have hunted with my current bow - My Maitland Retribution. This is the best hunting bow I have ever used. I have not missed with it this season. 4 Arrows, 4 dead deer, all recovered within 100 yards.

Let me know what you guys think, curious what he might score.

See less See more
#25 ·
Great buck, congratulations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.