PDA

View Full Version : Help with maps and FL management areas !!!!

johnsizzle00
November 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Im planning on hunting one of our local WMA's (citrus) here in about a week, and ive hunted there plenty of times, seen alot of does, which are illegal during archery season, and a few young small bucks. I was hoping i could get a fellow WMA hunter to give some knowledge of how they like to choose areas on a map to have a successful hunt on a WMA. Ive heard that when hunting a WMA you should try and stick to the outer bounderies, but its hard to do that when there is 1500 other people thinking the same thing, Ive not been there this year to actually scout but i guess I was just wondering where to start scouting once i get there. Ive put a link of the actuall WMA map on here and ive also been going on google earth to see the actual area, i just cant seem to pinpoint an area where i would like to start scouting. http://myfwc.com/media/1386893/Citrus.pdf

dragonsfire311
November 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM
I hunt the interior areas of Citrus. I stay at Tillis Hill when I'm there and hunt in an area off of trail 20. I hunt the same area (10 years). When I go I check the area for fresh sign and look for activity. See deer there every year and have missed a couple decent bucks in the last 2 years. I pick an area and stick with and shift inside the area according to the sign observed.