PDA

View Full Version : Timing Marks on the Equalizer Cams

Tax Lawyer
March 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I replaced the string on my Old Glory and got everything within the factory marks. After installing my peep, I had to twist the string a couple times to get it lined up correctly.

Well, now my timing marks are out 1/2" outside the limbs.

I would twist up the cables but it will beef up my poundage (I want to stay at 60 pounds and I have the limb bolts way out).

I thought timing was not a critical issue with these cams. Does anybody have an opinions?

BTW, I will only be shooting this bow (outside the timing marks) at 20 yards for three more weeks. Just curious if I should get this resolved before I start to tune and sight in.

jonnybow
March 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM
If you untwist the string so the peep is aligned, can you get it back to the factory alignment marks?

The bow will shoot fine but will shoot better at the marks.

Jon

Jerry/NJ
March 11th, 2005, 08:15 AM
When I got my Allegiance (and it was right out of the box) it was not right and it all related back to the cam timing. To look at it, it was within the lines but far from the way it should have been! I finally contacted Bowtech and asked how and what do they use as a reference for timing similar to the Infinity cam uses the screw and limb distance as a reference. Once I got those reference points, I adjusted and checked my let off and have been good to go since.

swampfox
March 14th, 2005, 01:48 AM
So Jerry what is the reference point on a allegiance? :confused:

Meleagris1
March 14th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Paul, I setup my buddies allegiance this weekend. It is shooting great. I didn't even notice timing marks on the cams, but if they are anything like Hoyts, just ignore them and look at the cable tracks in the cams, to make sure both cams are in sync. By the time I got done reading all the warning labels on his bow about twisting/untwisting cables, I have to admit I was a little nervous about doing that. Would stink to have your bow lock at full draw. Luckily I didn't need to, Don showed me a neat trick for getting the peep flat were you don't have to twist the whole string, or glue your loop at an extreme angle.

Anyways we got the allegiance shooting great. 59lbs 28" draw with 414 grain GT XT 75/95 hunters were doing 250fps, and 320 grain hunters were doing 285fps. He is shooting around 60 until he gets the release down, then we can bump it up to 70 and see what the bow really does. I was surprised to get bulet holes with the 75/95's at 59lbs. Shooting a WB B2 rest and Copper John Dead Nuts Pro 3 on it.

jonnybow
March 14th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Nice job Mel. it sure is a tack driving setup.
I actually had to put the bow down for a month or so just to get the bad habits out of my system before giving it a second chance and I'm glad I did. This bow shoots solid and shock free. It should be turning the 3d world on it's ear this season.

Good stuff.

Jon

Traven
March 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I spoke to a tech at Bowtech and he told me that these cams don't go out of time since they are not working against each other. Any truth behind this??

Jhorne
March 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
ttt

olehemlock
March 14th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Backing down the equalizer's will move the timing marks outside the limbs. Also adding twist to the string. You might want to twist the cables back up. I like to rotate the cams so the eyeloop that is connected to the post is just touching the string. I find the feel to the valley and wall is more to my liking with the cams in this position.

swampfox
March 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I spoke to a tech at Bowtech and he told me that these cams don't go out of time since they are not working against each other. Any truth behind this??

It has been my experiance that these cams do not go out of time. I would suppose some one could possible get them out of time if they did something extra wierd with the bow. Mine have been rock solid from the start with about 2000 shots thru the bow. :thumbs_up

stodr
March 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I have found they don't go out of tune to effect the impact point except for the case of creeping. My bow was shooting tacks at 50 meters but was haveing an occasional high arrow. I creep tuned it put in quite a few twist in one cable and the impact point stayed the same but got rid of the high arrows.

jrb CO
March 22nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
TTT for information regarding optimum cam position on these binary cam bows.

calmrage
March 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
I have also heard that it isn't a good idea to twist the strings on the equalizer cams. I haven't had any problems with my allegiance yet. Good luck.

TL8
March 23rd, 2005, 09:01 AM
My friend has a defender and has not been able to keep the fletchings from hitting the rest, (TT) come to find out the string was 3/4 in to long took it to the shop where he bought it and the guy twisted it till it was the right length. Is this acceptable?