PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Launcher Wear:

rhinoshooter
March 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
A Friend Of Mine Is Having A Problem With The Inside Launcher Of His Tko Drop Away A Great Deal More Wear Than The Outside. His Bow Is A Rh Hoyt Raider Shooting 55lbs And 26.5 2213 Xx78. He Asked For My Help But I'm Somewhat New To Tuning Myself So I Thought I'd Consult A Higher Power :) So Could One Of You Tech Wizzard Help Us? Thanks :)

rhinoshooter
March 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Ttt

Bert2
March 11th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I've seen that before on my bow and I always thought it meant that the rest needed to be moved a little toward the inside, but it didn't seem to make any difference and/or threw off my tune when I tried moving it.

Mr.Optics
March 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I had the same problem with excessive wear as you have mentioned and what fixed it for myslef was my center shot was off.

rhinoshooter
March 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
ttt

Bnbfishin
March 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
most likely the center shot is off. Also see if his vanes/feathers are hitting that prong. My buddy had the same thing happen....checked his center shot and it was perfect....then looked at his vanes and noticed discoloration....hence they were coming in contact with the one prong and causing the uneven wear. Good luck with it. Bill

njshadowwalker
March 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM
As mentioned its the centershot....

Been there done that more times then i care to admit.

Mexican 3D
March 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
most likely the center shot is off. Also see if his vanes/feathers are hitting that prong. My buddy had the same thing happen....checked his center shot and it was perfect....then looked at his vanes and noticed discoloration....hence they were coming in contact with the one prong and causing the uneven wear. Good luck with it. Bill

can plastic vanes wear metal prongs enough so you can notice it??

i shoot with a 3D Rover converted to a fall away. before the convertion, the bow was tuned. but after the convertion it began hitting to the side. i then noticed i had a little more wear on one prong than on the other. so i paper tuned, and had to move the rest a little to one side to get bullet holes...

njshadowwalker
March 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I cant see a metal prong wearing out due to the vanes. Vanes are plastic. Think about that?

It would take a lifetime of shooting to affect them at all.

rhinoshooter
March 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
The Prongs On The Tko Are Covered With Some Sort Of Black Plastic Or Teflon!

Will Wisp
March 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM
May I suggest that your 26.5" 2213 is over spined by about 10 lbs,this may be why your center shot is where it is in order to compensate.

Mrwildman
August 4th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Check my post on the same basic issu under the heading "2 prong rest wear"!!
Didn't get as much info on this as on other sites, but let me try to sum this up for you.

As has been mention center shot might be your problem. Mine however is not. String torque was brought up to me, but this for me does"t fit well since I shoot from all differn't positions and hieghts. Might explain though why I don't always have the same prong shoing wear. Using differn't tubes, such as the hush or golden keys might help. Shooting bare steel in practice, then adding the tubes for hunting has been what I have been doing. Nail polish and Toe Pro ( used for hockey skates to protect the toe form wear) was also reccomended. Using a thin layer of mole skin on the lauchers came up as well. Also the soft fuzzy part of velcro was suggested. That's tough stuff and might work well.

From the tuning side this came up. Nock hieght. Too low will push down into the laucher causing wear. (not my problem ) Tight nock, not allowing the string to rotate without moving or putting pressure on the arrow. If you shoot a stock string rotation is usally high. To much pressure on the launcher springs ( might be part of my problem) The tension should be light enough to just hold the arrow up at draw. this may allow the arrow to drrop at rest, but will rise up at full draw. Thus enabling the launchers to fall away more readily.

The other statement that was made was that if you are shooting carbon or graphite like me. you will have some wear no matter what you do!! This makes sense. When I still shot aluminum had very little wear.

Lots to think about!!

Your problem though sounds alot like center shot though. Wearing on one side exclusively mean the arrow is pushing hard off that launcher. Thus it needs to be moved over. Of couse it will screw up your sites. Adjust them. I' sure if it is a center shot problem and you paper tune it will jump right out at you. If you have more even wear like I do then some of the other things I listed are probaly in order.

Also try using foot powder on the rest and arrow. This will tell you where the vanes might be hitting if they are!!

Hope I helped you!!!!!!!

Steve "the wildman" white

Man I need a speel checker after midnite!!!!!!!!

RobVos
August 4th, 2005, 12:00 PM
This is very common and often nothing can be done to totally eliminate it.

Torque and cause it. Alot of torque is inherant with a bow that has a cable guard. The riser rotates due to torque during the draw cycle as the cable loads.

Anoth cause of this is varying cam lean through the draw cycle. This is caused by cables loading -- on a 2 cam it is at both axles, on a 1 cam or hybrid cam, the cable loads hard on the bottom.