PDA

View Full Version : arrow guide for dropaway?

matt menke
March 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I currently switched the spring on my mathews rest to convert it to a dropaway. Everything works good but I need something on my bow shelf to guide the arrow as I start to draw back. Any homemade ideas? or does anyone sell these seperate? I thought about splitting a piece of black hose in half and glueing it down. Any ideas guys. Thanks

Mexican 3D
March 11th, 2005, 08:19 PM
i took a thin piece of leather, made a V cut, and glued it to the bow shelf. it makes for an extremely quiet draw. i can email pics if you whish.

also i think golden key sells arrow guides, but why pay if you can do it yourself???

Jhorne
March 11th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Go to Walmart's and buy some furniture pads that go under the legs of couches and chairs to keep from scratching the froor. They come in different sizes and they are peel and stick. Get the small ones and cut them in half and space them on your riser to hold your arrow. Works great and you get enough to last a life time. Hope this works. John

archery4life
March 11th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I currently have two mathews drop aways set up on my bows. What I did is took a mini limb saver and put it under the prongs on the front of the arrow rest itself. I took a razor and cut the top of the limb saver off so it stands only about 1/4" high. This serves as two purposes... 1. when the drop away falls it doesn't slam against the riser and make that TINK noise. And 2. since it isn't quite flat on the riser, your arrow will ride along your t.m. prongs the whole way it is raising up, and you don't have to have that hokey unsightly arrow guide permanantly attatched to your riser. This is what I did to mine and I couldn't be happier with how well it works and how quiet it makes it. Just my .02 cents. :D Hope this helps.

matt menke
March 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll think on it for a while. Anyone else with more great ideas?

cobo
March 11th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Trophy Ridge sells their arrow holder seperately, has and adhesive backing. It's a steep in price though, at about $10.00 each.
I have used two short pieces of 1/8" tubing placed parallel to each other with an arrows space between them. Put them underneath a piece of adhesive backed moleskin that covers the entire arrow shelf. They stay in place well.

psychobowz
March 11th, 2005, 10:42 PM
NAP also sells their's seperatley

hansel
March 11th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I've got a acouple of extra NAP ones, my hoyt's have a notch in the front of the handle that the arrow seats down in, plus my NAP forks also hold them in palce, send me your address, and I'll send you one.If you want to try one.

matt menke
March 11th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the offer Hansel but I'll get something worked out. thanks again guys.

EAZY
March 12th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I took an arrow and let it rest on the front shelf and where it touched i used a rattail file and cut a notch in shelf lined it with felt works great and nothing to buy or glue on.
EAZY

Jbird
March 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM
"took a rat tail file and notched my arrow shelf". :eek:

BIG ARCHERY NUT
March 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
matt menke,

I cut a pice of plexiglass about 3/8" square and 2" long. I then drilled a hole slightly larger then my arrow down through it. Next I cut part way down through it as if you were cutting it in half the long way. Now cut off a piece about 1/2" - 3/8" long. Presto, you have two holders. Sand them down and put mole skin over it. Add a piece of double sided tape to the bottom and stick it on the bow. You can redrill the leftover to a larger hole if you shoot different size arrows. I drill the small hole first for carbons and cut that part off. Then I drill it out bigger for my aluminum arrows. You can get about 12 halves from a 2" piece.

Good Shooting,
Bill

Daniel Boone
March 12th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Cut some pieces and glue on the front. Works well. Over size arrow shaft cut in half works also.

Jbird
March 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Nice arrow guide

EAZY
March 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM
How abought this? 2in. p.v.c. 3ft. long glue to snelf stick arrow in side. :

hoytnut
March 12th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I have tried alot of home made one's. None hold the arrow on better and are more reliable than the "ARROW CATCHER" from GoldenKey.Go to there Website and take a look.

matt menke
March 13th, 2005, 02:03 AM
I currently have two mathews drop aways set up on my bows. What I did is took a mini limb saver and put it under the prongs on the front of the arrow rest itself. I took a razor and cut the top of the limb saver off so it stands only about 1/4" high. This serves as two purposes... 1. when the drop away falls it doesn't slam against the riser and make that TINK noise. And 2. since it isn't quite flat on the riser, your arrow will ride along your t.m. prongs the whole way it is raising up, and you don't have to have that hokey unsightly arrow guide permanantly attatched to your riser. This is what I did to mine and I couldn't be happier with how well it works and how quiet it makes it. Just my .02 cents. :D Hope this helps.
Thanks archery 4 life, I set it up today and it looks like it will work really good the arrow rides on the prongs great and is deadly quiet. I drew it back several times without a hitch.

archery4life
March 13th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Good deal Matt. I have the two on my bows set up like that, and set up a buddy's the same way. He was very happy on how well it rides and how quiet it is. I don't think that a dropaway set up this way could possibly be any quieter. I am pleased that it worked well for you! :D

rye
March 15th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Jbird,

I got one of those that was made of out a rubber type stuff. Ihad to cut the sides of it almost all the way down to avoid contact with the vanes. Almost not worth it!... neverind the almost... it wasn't worth the money.

Rye.