PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Flight Spiral:

rhinoshooter
March 12th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Could Someone Explain To Me Why My Arrows Spiral In Flight( Not The Normal Spinning Of The Arrow) But Larrge Visible Spirals On The Way To The Target. Drive Tacks At 20 Yds But 4 Inches Rt At 30.

johnhames
March 12th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Could be the spine is too week or you may have fletching contact. If you are shooting fingers it may be a sloppy resease. Probably a weak spine.

Dave Nowlin
March 12th, 2005, 08:58 AM
It could be bent arrows. Have you tried spinning them to check for straightness. It also sounds as if your center shot could be wrong as you are dad on at 20 and considerably off at 30. I would try that as well as assuring your arrows are straight.
Dave Nowlin

Hollowpoint
March 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Sounds to me a like a soft spine, or fletching contact...or maybe both.
What arrows, draw weight, length, tip weight, ect. are you shooting??

rhinoshooter
March 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
I'm Shooting 2117xx75 26 Inches Long At 60lbs. I've Tried Both 125 And 100 Grain Heads With The Same Result. I'm Shooting A Dropzone Rest And Am Pretty Sure I'm Not Getting Any Fletching Contact.

johnhames
March 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM
2216 weights the same and has a stiffer spine. It just shoots better in the range you are in. But, I don't think that is your problem. It sounds more like fletching contct. Spray your fletch with foot power and shoot. Look for the power after the shot. Or touch the edges of the fletch with lipstic, shoot, and check for where the lipstic got left. Check your cables, the arm on the drop zone. You still didn't say if you are shooting fingers or not.

littlebubba
March 12th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Rhino,
Toss the 2117's. They were the arrow 25 yrs ago, but there is a lot of better suited arrows today. The carbon's have become very popular today. If you perfer alum. try the 2413's.
Bubba

Sounds like you need a tune-up.

RodS
March 12th, 2005, 11:17 PM
It sounds like 1. your arrow is to stiff and 2. your nock may be to high or to low. I would suggest you deal with the nock location first and eliminate the spiral, you should then only have a side to side issue to deal with. According to the Easton chart 2117 are to stiff, try a 2213 or a carbon arrow.

rhinoshooter
March 13th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks For Your Help Guys!

Jabwa
March 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Sound like you may be using two different color fletches.

3DBIGBULLX
March 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Id add at LEAST 1 1/2" to your arrows. Also try a 125 grain tip.

jonnybow
March 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I have found that with the drop zone (and many other drop aways) that a high nock point will certainly create this problem. I'd make sure that is correct before getting all wrapped around the axle about proper arrow selection. I'd bet the farm thats the problem.

Jon

ftshooter
March 13th, 2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.martinarchery.com/manual/2004manual/finetune.html

sweet old bill
March 14th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Sounds to me a like a soft spine, or fletching contact...or maybe both.
What arrows, draw weight, length, tip weight, ect. are you shooting??

sure seems to be...thrun down the bow and see if you still get the problem and also put babay power on the rest riser area and shoot one arrow and check for drag marks from the arrow hitting...

DwayneR
March 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
One other thing to think about....

Are your fletchings on Correct? and Are they all the same?

I have seen where 1 fletch is a little more hellical <sp> than the rest, or at the nock part, the fletching has a tab bit more "spin". Thus causing a fishtail.

Dwayne

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Read my previous post. An arrow won't spiral. It will fishtail or porpoise but not spiral. If you have a cock vane of a different color, the spinning of the arrow will make it appear to spiral in flight. Oh, one other thing. If you can see this, you are not focusing on the target until the arrow hits as you are supposed to and you are probably raising your head.