PDA

View Full Version : Nock Point on Old Glory

CY67
March 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I'm swapping from ACC 360's to Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575's on my Old Glory. I have a Muzzy Zero Effect rest. I set the initial nock point at 1/8 " above the arrow, but I'm getting a lot of fletching contact on the bottom vanes. I'm shooting cock vane up. Is this vane contact due to the nock point not being high enough? Should I go up to 1/4" or 3/8" above the arrow?

Dave Nowlin
March 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I could be wrong, but this sounds like a timing issue. In other words it may be that the rest isn't falling soon enough to get out of the way of the vanes.
There seem to be a lot of folks who want to leave the rest up as long as possible. When this is done you lose much of the forgiveness of a fallaway rest. These rests help a great deal in eliminating fletching contact with a full helical, but also help minimize some of the effects of form defects. The longer it guides the arrow, the greater amount of input from you as the arrow is guided on its path. The shorter the interval the more the string is doing the guiding provided it was pointed in the right direction when the string is released. Many people have a problem , mostly psychological, with the idea the bow will hit the ground when they shoot with an open hand. Therefore they grab the bow as they release the string which of course torques the riser and changes the steering input on the arrow ,if you are still guiding it's front end. This effect is slightly minimized when the front of the arrow isn't guided by the rest all the way as it moves forward with your bowstring. :)
Dave Nowlin

Jhorne
March 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I shoot an Old Glory and my nock is 1/8" high. But I shoot a Trophy Taker rest. You need to try this rest. There's a lot more of these rest out there than the muzzy. What part of Mississippi are you from? I'm from Meridian.

CY67
March 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Dave,

I was wondering about if it was dropping in time. I think it is because it was working fine with my other arrows.

Jhorne,

I may try the TT. I've read a lot of good things about it here on AT and I like the adjustments on it better. Did you have to get the one with the extended windage bar? I live in Olive Branch, just across the state line from Memphis.

Jhorne
March 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Yes I got the extended windage. I don't know if you can buy the extended model yet or not. I sent my short bar back to trophy taker and they sent me an extended bar free of charge. I believe you will like it a lot better. Easy to tune. Good Luck, John

ndbowhunter
March 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM
In regards to using a muzzy zero effect rest on a bowtech, you need to do a few things. First you need to have the cables crossing ABOVE the cable guard, Second you need to make sure that the rest doesn't come up until the last half inch of draw, and third you need to shoot cockfeather out. I actually talked to a tech guy at muzzy because I was having the same problem.

Good luck

Tim

fatboy111
March 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM
There is a few issues on some bows, Bowtech being one of them. Turn the turn-buckle screw out to make the arm longer and shoot thru paper. I have spoken to Muzzy about this at great length. If you observe your Bowtech as you draw the cable slide moves very little. This is a problem with some bows, and even bows that have short draw lengths. We set up ALOT of MZE's and love them, but sometimes they don't work on certain bows. I have been told that Muzzy is looking into this problem. Hope this helps.

vodekz
March 12th, 2005, 07:49 PM
With TT XL I could tune this bow. All Bowtech are harder to tune with drop away rest than most Mathews. I shoot both brands to make it clear, but they are tunable.

Vodekz :D

CY67
March 12th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe the turnbuckle was not turned out enough and my slide was not traveling as far as it should. I adjusted this and it, at least, eliminated the fletching contact. I'm still going to shoot it through paper.

I had not heard about the cables crossing above the guard, but I had it setup that way anyway. I'll try cock vane out, also.

Back on the TT, I pretty much hear nothing but good things about it. Are there any drawbacks?