PDA

View Full Version : How many silencers on your string?

hockeyhead
March 13th, 2005, 08:01 PM
:confused: I've seen up to four string leeches put on a bow? I have two on the main (nock) string and the top leech is getting tore up? This problem is caused by my peep sight tube I think. Just wondering if a second set of leeches would help?

JAMIE
March 14th, 2005, 12:03 PM
That topic is brought up here from time to time, and I think you will find that the string leeches are going to get split and worn down fairly quickly, no matter what your setup. The number of leeches on the string doesn't have anything to do with it. I am shooting the regular cat whiskers on my string, with the leeches on each cable, and they haven't worn as quickly on the cables. But you will find that most of the guys replace them fairly often, especially if they shoot a lot. A few weeks ago, there was a thread that warned about the leeches coming apart and maybe hitting the shooter in the eye or head. I believe several guys said that this had happened to them. I just keep a close eye on mine, and don't shoot them if they appear to be worn or split.

njshadowwalker
March 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I use to string bats on the string. Comes in a pack of 4 and they keep the bow very quiet. If they tear apart after a few months i replace no biggy. Work a little better then the wiskers in my opinion and ive sed both.

Tn10point
March 14th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Not knocking whatever kind of bow you shoot but try one of the new mathews with string suppressors . You will find that the string leeches are not needed. :)

hansel
March 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I have a pair of Bowjack's on each of my Hoyt's, and so far no breaking like the string leeches. :D :D

rescue15
March 14th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I shoot with nothing on my string but a peep and tied on nock...I shoot a McPherson - the quietest bows you won't hear!

Steve

granny
March 17th, 2005, 05:45 AM
I tried those leeches for half a season & was not happy with them. They would wear out & just fall off.
When you have good ones, I see no reason for more than 2 on your string.
If your going for a quiet bow, don't forget the limb savers & the doinker stabilizer.

dahmer
March 17th, 2005, 05:51 AM
The string leeches work great but, they don't last long. I had 1 set of leeches last a whole 3 days on my last bow. I'm old school but if you need string silencers try the Tarantulas. My Switchback has a tie in peep and a string loop and that's how it's going hunting. Most quiet bow I have ever owned or shot.

goldtip22
March 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I changed the string on my Parker Extreme UL 31 the other day (went from factory string and cables to 452X) and decided to leave the leaches off. The bow is extremely quiet now and I gained 12 fps. I don't think I'll ever use leaches again.

low12
March 17th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Don't need them on my Mathews Q2XL.

freakshow
March 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I have two whiskers on my string , a stabilizer and limb savers on my bow. That is all I need to keep it really quiet.

Hollowpoint
March 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM
None, untill hunting season.....then one set of leaches.
Those targets dont care if there is a little string twang. :teeth:
.....and I gained 8FPS taking them off, and for 3-D......speed is good! :cool:

rwduncan
March 17th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I read some place that all these rubber or yarn fuzzballs we have been messing with only quite a bow by 1 db, 2 at the most. A human can only tell the difference in 3 db, like with a music system. I know a deer can hear better, lots better but we are just trying not to startle them. I hunted the last couple years with none and saw no difference! Shot deer at 20, 30 yards and even 7 yards, no different! I am so happy to get ride of thoughs worthless things!

tjb357452
March 17th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I'm with rwduncan. I fooled around with speed balls, spider legs, cats whiskers, and even some junk of my own design. Most of this stuff on a string does one thing real well, it slows your bow down. There's very little real difference in the sound made by clean strings as opposed to strings with all the ornaments.

bow_obsession
March 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Nothing on my string but a peep and a "D" loop. I tried cat whiskers and found out that they made more noise that the bow did without them. You are also robbing yourself of speed with everything you put on your string. Every 3gr you add robs you of 1fps. I think that the cat whiskers were 16gr each if I remember correctly.

deerhunter17
March 17th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I have 2 sting leaches on my bow, but I will be taking them off and putting some cat whiskers on the sting. They last a lot longer.

PABowhunt4life
March 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Don't need them on my Mathews Q2XL.

Well, my SQ2 was extremely quite with just a bare string. However, to play safe I put a set of String Leeches on. Personally, I can't hear the difference between the before and after shots, so I may be taking them off to gain a few fps.

skywarrior
March 18th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I just don't know how ANYONE can draw a bow back with that long chunk of rubber aimed at your eye! I realize that it makes your peep come around, but it is soooo easy to do it the other way and not have to put up with that slapping, dangerous pice of innertube flying around on your bow :rolleyes:

ursonvs
March 18th, 2005, 09:16 PM
that is why you buy a quality set of strings and cables and you will not have that problem. a rubber tube peep will slow a bow as much as 10 to 20 fps from the tests i have done. another thing is that the rubber will fatigue and slip off the end of the post on the peep. something i don't want to happen on a buck of a lifetime. goes to show paying a bit more in the beginning like quality strings will prevent heartache down the road.

Ian
March 19th, 2005, 10:59 PM
None

PLASTIC PAUL
March 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I like to hang little Christmas bells on my string, if nothing else the deer might stop from laughing so i can get the three or four shots i will need to hit it. LOL

PABowhunt4life
March 20th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah, my first experience with String Leeches was not a pretty one. After about a month of shooting them I was at the range one day and had one smack me dead in the eye when I released. I had no clue what had happened and I felt like Ralphie lol.

After regaining my vision I examined the bow and realized the top leech ha dbusted off and that was what smacked me in my eye. Since my last post on here I have removed them from my Mathews, there is no noticable difference in the sound, with ot without them on.

deerhunter1948
March 20th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have an SQ2 and have had terrible luck using any type of leech as a silencer. None will last long and I don't think that they really work that well. I now use Neet brand, N-HPM string mufflers. For me they work very well and with little or no noticable loss of speed. And they last forever.

Onebwhtr
March 21st, 2005, 05:16 PM
Has anyone tryed the ones for a crossbow , they look like the ones on a Hoyt bow, I have been told

bowmstr25-5x
March 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM
Peep, kisser button, and loop. you dont need anything more on a Mathews.