PDA

View Full Version : Under Spined?

deer dude
March 13th, 2005, 09:25 PM
i shoot 2114s- 27.5 inch draw. at 55 lbs. i get a high left paper tear which tells me my 2114s are under spined. now to make things worse -i bumped my poundage up to 60lbs. what would be a good easton alum.arrow to change to? ive always shot the 2114s so im not familiar with there other arrows.

mobowhntr
March 13th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Download the Easton shaft selector guide and that will give you all the options for your set-up. Michael

Jorge Oliveira
March 13th, 2005, 10:12 PM
As suggested, dowload the Easton shaft selector.

I would consider the 2117 if you dont want to change points, etc.

Will Wisp
March 14th, 2005, 08:08 PM
According to the easton chart,the 2114s are correct for 55lbs and for 60lbs the 2213s fit the bill.You may need to play with nock set and centershot adjustments,one at a time in small increments.

bfisher
March 14th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Yeh, they should work even at 60lbs. High left tear means your first adjustment should be to lower your nocking point. Then deal with the left tear--if it's there anymore. Take care of the vertical adjustment first.

nolucklarry
March 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Depending on the point weight your us'ing. looks like the 2117 will work. I have 9 that I no longer use. They are 29" and you could have them cut to your length. They are camo with 4.75 vanes set right helical. Called Spring Stalkers 2117. Let me know if youd like them. I'll let you have them cheap.

johnhames
March 14th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I would use a 2413 Its on the stiff side and you can use a 125 point if you want to. The 2413 is a real good shaft, quick recovery, light for its stiffness, and stiff enough to do the job.

Tom D
March 14th, 2005, 10:11 PM
According to the easton chart,the 2114s are correct for 55lbs and for 60lbs the 2213s fit the bill.You may need to play with nock set and centershot adjustments,one at a time in small increments.

I shot 2213s with a 28-inch draw at 60 pounds. My archery shop told me that they were probably a little stiff for my setup. They said I could have gone down in spine and that the Easton charts would produce a heavier spine than what I needed. I never tried going down in spine, however. I shot the 2213's for a couple of weeks as I was getting into archery and then bought CX200's instead of aluminums.

SpotShy
March 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM
deer dude,

How do they group? Don't base everything on something as misleading as paper. Sounds like there may be several possible solutions. First, if you are shooting at paper closer than 10 yds your barking up the wrong tree. Second, depending on the point weight you are using, you could be over spined as easy as under. The 2114 is a versitile shaft. Back in the day, when 275 fps was gettin "r" done, I used to shoot the 2114 out of a 84 pound Pearson Spoiler cut to 24 inches with an overdraw and had no problem hitting . At 27.5 you should have no problem getting robin hoods at 40 yds with a 60 lbs bow. Bring the nocking point down a smidge by putting a 3/4 turn in your bottom limb or taking 3/4 out of the top, then get back at 12-15 yds and fire that puppy through paper. I bet you get a different result. May not be perfect but it will be different. Many time I see people making rude 1/32 adjustments to their nocking point while paper tuning expecting to see magic. The key to paper tuning is to go to an extreme to get a result, then backtracking a bit at a time to reach a point in between a bad result at one extreme and a bad result from another extreme. Bottom line is you have to be able to get a different result to know if you are going in the right direction. Paper tuning in not for the novice, nor the weak minded, not to imply you are either. However you really need to have a sound understanding of archery physics to understand what the paper is saying. It is my bet that if you experiment with point weight and back away from that paper a bit you can acheive a tune with that shaft that will be rewarding.

zmcgill
March 15th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I also think these shafts could work for you. I would try a lighter point and if possible shorten your shafts, these action will have the same effect as a slightly stiffer shaft.

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Spotshy:

Well said! The worst paper tear you can get is at about 5 yards with a bare shaft! With a fletched arrow, the shaft will have stabilized at 10 yards - of course, that's why we fletch 'em!! :)

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM
DeerDude:

When you say your draw length is 27.5" do you mean "to the rest" or AMO draw length? It would make a huge difference in this case.