PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New hunting Bow

gmwilkes
December 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
So I have an older bow, its a '99 that I've had for about 1.5 yrs. Im thinking of keeping this as a backup and buying a newer used bow. I would primarily be using this as a hunting bow, with some local target shooting too. My question is, what kind of ATA should I be looking for? Shorter or longer? I like the look of the Elite Hunter, but cant afford a "Brand New itb" bow. I plan to shoot a few and see what i like, but im asking suggestions on what kind of things to look for in a primarily hunting bow?

sharpshooter359
December 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Primary hunting you would want a shorter ATA 32-34 Some target but mostly hunting 34-38 ATA. Longer brace height is also more forgiving.

dmgiss
December 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Expect to get all kinds of suggestions on this question. I guess I'll start it off. I am a Bowtech fan all the way and I strongly suggest you look at their line of bows. You can get a real good used on for a reasonable price. I would look at the Destroyer 350/340 first, then look at the assassin and then the admiral. The assassin is probably the best bang for your buck in the entire line of bows by any manufacturer. Good luck in your quest. I strongly suggest you go shoot a Bowtech. Have fun

BOHO
December 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Id get somewhere around a 34" ata and 7" bh. That will give you lots of choices.

gmwilkes
December 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I expected the normal preferential responses. And i know a lot of people who shoot bowtech,hoyt,pse, and bear, but i wanted something not everyone around here has and thats why i like Elite. I plan to shoot all different brands, but there is one shop in particular here that sells matthews, and i refuse to buy from him so that brand will be out of the question.

MAG00
December 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
ATA really depends upon you. Some people like longer becasuse they feel they shoot them better than a short ATA. Some people want a shorter ATA for hunting just for mobility or being compact.

Either way, I would highly recommend you look into Athens Archery. I currently hunt with the Accomplice 34 (34" ATA). It's a great mid size ATA bow. Thye also make several other models raning from 30" ATA up to 41" ATA. They make great bows and have super customer service if you should ever need it or have any questions.

DTales
December 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I expected the normal preferential responses. And i know a lot of people who shoot bowtech,hoyt,pse, and bear, but i wanted something not everyone around here has and thats why i like Elite. I plan to shoot all different brands, but there is one shop in particular here that sells matthews, and i refuse to buy from him so that brand will be out of the question.

If you are stongly looking at an Elite bow, why not look at the AT classifieds for an 09/10 GT500 or Z-28. I've never shot one personally, but by all accounts they have a strong following and I've heard nothing but good things about these 2 bows. You could likely pick them up used for as low as $400.

Meat
December 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I just picked up a Mathews Outback in the classifieds for $300. Bow is in awesome condition. If you are patient and persistent, you can find some really great deals here on the AT classifieds. Look early and often.

Meat

gmwilkes
December 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks, i've looked at the ads, but with christmas and what not, im not able to buy a bow at the moment. Maybe around february i can but not at the moment.

Meat
December 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Deals may be even better then with most bow seasons either closed or coming to a close. Good luck.

Meat

gmwilkes
December 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

hunter_tlh
December 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM
A lot has changed since '99. Any bow you choose is going to be a drastic difference. Elite has some fine offerings. You can also pick up a used one and have a warranty. I myself have a Carbon Element and love it. I don't know how much you are wanting to spend but it is a great bow.

gmwilkes
December 6th, 2011, 02:45 PM
well, prob no more than $300-$400 bare bow. Wouldnt hurt to have a good rest with it, but if it doesnt i have one to put on for now. I guess the thing to do is to go test shoot some and see what im comfortable with.

hunter_tlh
December 6th, 2011, 02:47 PM
You could probably find a good used Elite for that fairly easily. And the warranty deal you can't beat... Check the classifieds here.

BRNDNDILLON22
December 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Bowtech assassin great for hunting if want a little cheaper diamond outlaw bow are fully equipped and ready to shoot

cass2
December 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I shot a Quest the other day that I was very impressed with. The price new was about the same as a good used bow on AT ! I normally shoot a Mathews long ATA and long BH. Have owned short ones and not for me. Elite is a good choice as well as some Hoyts. You can also find a good Mathews Dren for around 350 on AT. Unless you are strictly a blind or stalk hunter I wouldn't go shorter than 34 - 38" range.

sharpshooter359
December 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Parker also offers a good fully set up bow at a reasonable price which you can view on there website, martin offers bare bows for around 300-500. Not saying they are better than any others but price wise they keep up with the rest of the so called big boys. All the companies made some excellent bows in 2011. Just depends on what you want to pay and if being a fanboy of certain bows matters. carbon matrix $1500 aprox., mathews z extreme, $1200 aprox, Rytera Nemisis or Seeker 365 $950 aprox, Martin Onza III $599 aprox. just to name a few at aprox. new price.

Muzzy61
December 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Give the hoyt rampage xt a try.

gmwilkes
December 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys. And anything over $500 is to say the least out of my budget. Im going used because even if its barely used the price should drop reasonably to something i can afford.

cdmorten
December 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I see you're a lefty. What's your draw length? I will be selling my Hoyt Alphamax 35 in 3-4 weeks when my new bow arrives. PM me as I don't get on AT as much as I'd like.