PDA

View Full Version : Level nocking point

gregvisser
March 14th, 2005, 04:28 AM
How is this exactly measured? Do I put my bow square in on the rest where the bottom of the arrow is supposed to be and read the square back onto the string a) in the middle of the arrow where the arrow is supposed to be, b) top of the arrow is supposed to be c) middle of the nock on the arrow is supposed to be or d) top of the nock of the arrow?

Thanks,

Greg

fastcamo
March 14th, 2005, 04:47 AM
With the bow square attached to string and on the rest, mark nock point on string approx 1/8th above the top of the shaft, most bows favor nock high, but start there, then start the tune the tears will tell you which way to move, you can " tie" one on its much better IMHO

gregvisser
March 14th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Your nick should be fastreply - not fastcamo. ;)

Ok - so it means that the top of the arrow is then the level nocking point? Irrespective of nock size then....

I got shown tonight that when the square rests on the rest, the bottom of the square (same end that sits on the rest) is level. You then add your 1/8" from there and ignore arrow size. Sounds fishy though....

Greg

JAVI
March 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Your bow square will as you stated have a “0” mark on it… usually in line with the bottom edge of the long bar… if you want to set your nocking point to Square (level) then you center the arrow nock on this line. If you want it an 1/8” high then you center the arrow nock on the 1/8” mark…. And so on…. See most people use the Berger button hole as an alignment aid… aligning the long bar of the bow square with the center of the BB hole…and setting the nock point. They then set the rest to center the arrow on the BB hole as well.

One thing about this exercise is there are a zillion ways to accomplish the same result…

cuttingedge
March 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I agree, there are many ways to accomplish this. I have a "bow square" that screws into the insert of my arrow. It sounds cheezy, but it works. I let the arrow gently lay in the rest and install my knock point (where the top of the knock will rest) 1/8" high on the scale. I have had very good results with this method and it puts you real close to where you need to be.

gregvisser
March 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks Javi - sounds reasonable. It just seems that many people throw the term 'level nocking point' around while we all measure it (slightly) differently and will hence obtain different results.

Cheers,

Greg