PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please.

Bwbarnes1
March 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I just got into the whole Bowhunting thing and I've got a New Hoyt Magnatec 50-60# Its set at 58# now. I'm Shooting 265fps with 33/55 Gold Tips and a 75 gr field point. Question is this. My arrows are 27 7/8" long and weigh 330 gr. Also having a very hard time finding 75 gr. broadheads.
Am I shooting the right arrow and weight to get the Top speed and performance out of my bow or do I need to change up and if so, to what?
Oh yea I have ZR 200 limbs.
Thanks,
Billy Barnes

Mike Trump
March 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
If you want to stay with the gold tips, I would switch to the stiffer 55/75 shafts. For point weight, you could use 85 grain tips which wouldn't change your FOC that much but you'll be able to find many more broadheads in that weight. Otherwise, I'd probably switch up to 100 grain points, then your BH choices are limitless.

rogbo
March 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM
The best set up for you is what works and what you have confidence in. If you are just starting out (?) then I believe it would be a mistake to set speed as your top priority in bowhunting. I don't even think it should be in your top three. Your personal hunting (stallking, scouting, etc) ability, accuracy of your set up and forgiveness should all come first. Having said that. Your set up will pass right through the vast majority of animals on this continent, no worries there. I shoot broadheads that are a little more universal in weight (100, 125) that way if I ever screw the pooch and leave them behind while I am packing or whatever, I can hit almost any sporting goods store or hardware joint and find a weight I can use. I know a lot guys shoot these lightweight heads and have good success with them, I'm just saying that walmart has a whole wall of 100 grain and 125 grain stuff and no (zero) 75 grain heads. Course I am a proponent of momentum over KE anyway and that is another argument for another thread. I also like to keep my arrow length in whole inches that way the local yokel at the "pro shop" can figure out how to cut me some arrows in a pinch. Find what you can shoot well, in hunting clothes, when you are cold and stiff and tired, don't get too hopped on speed.

x-cutter
March 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM
You are fine with the 3555's. If you go up to 100 grain you may start pushing the spine on that arrow size but I still think you will be ok. Shot placement is by far the most important factor when it comes to penetration. It sound to me like you have a great combo for hunting. Just practice a lot and become very proficient with you set up.

silverback
March 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
If you are just starting, you probably don't want to shoot more than 20-30 yards at a deer anyway. That being the case, you can easily sacrifice speed for a heavier arrow.

If you really want a light arrow, maybe check out the GT ultralights. They seem to be pretty stiff, but light. Then you could use an 85 or 100 grain head and maintain your stiffness.

Mike is right, having 100 grain tips really opens up a lot of opprotunity... and a bigger hole.

x-cutter
March 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Even with the ultralights you are only going to gain maybe 5-6 fps with the 500's. Unless you are just trying to max out your setup as fast as possible I would stick with what you already have. It is more than adequate. I think Wasp, Rocket, and Muzzy all make some 75-80 grain broadheads.

hitech
March 15th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I just had to jump in here for my two cents worth. Muzzy makes an excellent 75 grain broadhead. I tried them and they worked great. I also shoot the new Gold Tip 400 series. I find they are stiffer than my old 55/75 arrows. I called Kody Walker at GT and he said they are lighter and stiffer due to a new higher grade of carbon. They make a 500 series to upgrade you from your 35/55.
My local pro shop hunts everything with the 75 grain Muzzy and they get passthroughs on elk! You can have your speed and hit your mark too!
Hope this helps.

lazy8
March 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone. I'm very new to archery. Just wondering if you all have tried the Muzzy 75 grain 3 blade fixed broadhead on elk (we usually opt for the smaller cow, but if opportunity presents a big bull, I would not turn it down). I just got a Bowtech tribute 70#, set @60# with 29". I use a Easton obsession, spine 340; I think the arrow weights around 325 grains @ 29" without the head. I might set the bow to 70# in the future, but for now, I'm hoping the faster arrow will make it easier to shoot longer range, that's if get proficient shooting up to 40 to 50 yrds. With my current skill, I could not shoot at deer or elk past 20yrds.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

hitech
March 27th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I have used the 75 grain Muzzy and I liked the results but normally I shoot the 100 grain to break the spine better on my current setup. I do know several people who hunt elk with the 75 grain Muzzy, your main concern in chosing broadhead wieght is to get a proper FOC (forward center of balance). My personal prefferance is at least 15 percent of the weight forward of center for broadheads. The other concern is to have enough point weight to get your arrow spine correct. A pro shop is a good choice for this criteria if you are not sure how to check these things.
The end result for bowhunting is shot placement. This is the most ctritical outcome so you do all the tuning and practice for that one shot. In reality, almost any sharp broadhead will kill an elk if put through both lungs. However, I love Muzzy! Currently I shoot the 100 grain 4 blade (easy to tune).
I hope this helps, sincerely, Hightec