PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with Peep Sight View Please Help

mstein26888
March 14th, 2005, 04:35 PM
This past weekend I had a new peep sight added to my string. At times when I draw back my bow, the strings are in the way of view thru the peep. One of my friends said that if I reposition my string loop, it will correct this problem. Does anyone know if this is right or has anything to do with my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Northforker
March 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Is your string split into 2 groups of strands or 3 groups? Twisting your string loop is a temporary solution to peep alignment. If your string is shot in i.e. over 100 shots the best thing to do is put 1/2 twist in the string to improve peep alignment.

mstein26888
March 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM
My string is devided into 3 strings. Do you know if any archery shop can do what you suggested.

Thanks

Northforker
March 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Any pro shop should be able to put your bow in a press and put 1/2 twist in the string to align your peep. :shade:

niceguy
March 14th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds like you're shooting a tri slot or Shurz-a-peep. I have the same problem with mine from time to time. Turning the loop on the string will change the final position of the peep but I find that after a while it creeps back. If you can stand moving your peep up or down a fraction that will change it's final position. What I do now is to fix the position of the loop on the centre serving with a small blob of super glue top and bottom of the loop. Seems to work ok but it's a bit permanent.

Regards

hitech
March 15th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I too have had the same problem. I solved it by buying the newer version that has 4 slots for the string instead of three. The four slot has 2 per side and leaves a bigger gap to see through with being as fussy about string rotation. Another solution is to put a rubber tubing attachment to alighn the string, commmon on hunting bows. There are more choices available at your local pro shop. Good luck

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Anyone ever heard of "picking" string strands and moving them from one peep slot to the next? You must keep the number of strands equal, but using this method you can turn a peep without changing draw length (a result of twisting the string).

archeryshooter
March 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I have done all of the above with mixed results its a tough problem. The rubber tube system works ok but I finally spent the money and put a winners choice string on my bow with a trupeep, once it was shot in I have not had it move ever and its not even tied in they do not have any peep rotation.There are a few other string makers out there that claim the same but I have not tryed them. I have shot no less than 10,000 arrows out of my bow with the same strings. They have a website
Good luck Tony

hitech
March 15th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I totally agree with archeryshooter and I did the same with two of my bows. I didn't mention it due in part to the expense and second, due to the level of equiptment and experiance I saw in the orginal thread. Entry level shooters are often not ready to go out an buy high end stings. I offered the cheapest solution, a 4 strand peep at under $5. or a rubber tubing at under $10. I am sure there are other soultions as well. I am still learning too. My hunting peeps are two strand models and stay pretty straight for me. I drill them out too but that is another subject.
I think it is good to get several opions on the site and then choose the option that seems good to the person asking the question. That is part of what I like about archery talk.
Yes, moving a strand at a time from on side of the peep to the other can help rotate the peep to the correct postion. For those shooters who do not have high end strings or are not sure if they do, a 4 strand surz a peep will normally help out a lot.
Good luck to all.

Hawk_Eye
March 15th, 2005, 01:33 PM
If you turn the string loop to wear the peep comes around and then re since it down with pliers (put a set of needle nose pliers inside your loop and pull the handles apart it will stretch the loop and tighten the knotts) I cant spell. haha.. Anyway's this will solve the problem until the string gets broke in well, then some more tweeking may be necessary. I personally use the 2 strand peeps, and if its necessary you can jump strands. taking one to the other side. Or you can invest money in winners choice or zebra or another good brand of string. The better brands tend not to rotate the peeps as bad. hopefully I could help some.

mstein26888
March 15th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks to all the responses. Buying a new bow string won't be an option. It is a brand new Hoyt X-tec. I will try moving the strings, do I need any special tools to do this or is it something that a pro shop should do? If I go to a two string peep, can I simply slide in the new peep and remove the old one and move the individual strings around.

I appreciate the help and just want to be able to see my pins and target........ :confused:

TANC
March 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
You need to take the stress off the string by putting it in a bowpress to do either. If you don't have one, then it needs to go to a shop.

I use a Fletcher Peep, and you don't have to worry about strings in your line, but you might occasionally have to worry about the peep turning on you a little, so there's always a tradeoff.

But a properly positioned, snuggly mounted, string loop helps pull it back in the same place each time. A good string, after break in, will pretty much stop doing this.

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I melt a little beeswax on my string loop knots and melt it in with a hairdryer. This keeps the loop from turning on its own after you snug it down with the needlenose as mentioned in a previous post.