PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a Martin Prowler SE

shess
March 14th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I have only shot since September 2004, however really got into it and then bought a new prowler February 5, 2005. The pro shop at gander mtn set it up for me, and now I cannot seem to get tight shots with it. When I shoot it at 25 yards, I can see the arrow fishtail. I have tried to adjust the rest both in and out. I am shooting the bow at 27" draw and about 65 lbs pull. The arrows are Whitetail Hunter 4570's, gander mtn Carbon Express knockoffs. I cannot seem to get it fixed, please help!!!
I have heard both good and bad about paper tuning, and there is not many pro-shops where I live.
Thanks a lot.

bfisher
March 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM
If you take a look you'll find that the arrows are 45-60. Am I right? I work at aGander store and we don't have any 45-70 arrows. That being said, you got a couple choices. Lower the bow weight to see if the arrows will work. You may have to play with point weights and other tuning procedures. Or get the next stiffer arrow, which would be 60-75.

shess
March 15th, 2005, 09:52 AM
:smile: Thanks a lot bfisher, I am not that comfortable with the tuning issues yet, but trying to learn all the time. I guess I just need to take it back and get some more advice/help from the pro where I got it.
I went to a 3d shoot weekend before last and got a 195 out of 360. I feel like I could get closer to a 300 if I had some more tuning.
Thanks again.

I would take any additional info too.

shess

ftshooter
March 15th, 2005, 05:26 PM
http://www.martinarchery.com/manual/2004manual/comp1.html

cmherrmann
March 15th, 2005, 10:20 PM
You did not say what kind of rest you have, but it sounds like your nock point might be to high. I had the same problem when using a whisker biscuit and turbo nocks, lowered my nock point and fishtailing stopped. It could also be to low.

bfisher
March 15th, 2005, 11:30 PM
shess, what store did you deal with? Do they have a range? They should have a paper tuner where you can do some tuning. At least get things close. No matter where you go you gotta take some things with a grain of salt. There are very few "Pros" working in pro-shops.

Try to learn your own tuning. Then you'll have the knowledge.

Another point made . Give more detail about your setup such as what kind of rest, etc. AND---is the arrow fishtailing (left to right wobble) or porpoising (up and down) or corkscrewing (both)?