PDA

View Full Version : string streach

ovation shooter
March 15th, 2005, 01:56 PM
how many arrows do you shoot before the string and cable are streached to a normal state i have a new bow just wondering
:confused:

PA.JAY
March 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM
stock mathews string ? if so change it with a after market & you wol'nt have to ask that question . IMO THEIR STRING IS JUNK ! I WASTED SO MUCH CASH ON ZEBRA-TIGER NEVER AGAIN THEY COULD GIVE IT TO ME I'D THROW IT IN THE TRASH! ;)
WITH MOST OTHER STRINGS 200 TOPS I THINK! VTX ABOUT 50 FOR ME :shade:

Earl
March 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Try some Vapor Trail srtings. I put a new set on my mathews and set the peep. I have shot it about 500 times and the peep is still in the same spot.

rye
March 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I had no stretch at all when I put a Stone Mountain on my Mathews FX... it settled in perfectly .

ryan.

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM
You are talking about creep, which is a permanent lengthening. Stretch is a temporary deformation which returns to normal. All you guys are talking "brands" of bowstrings, but what really determines whether a string creeps and continues to creep throughout its life is the MATERIAL its made of. For characteristics of the different materials checkout the BCY and Brownell websites, since they probably manufacture 90% or more of the bowstring fibers on this planet.

Jorge Oliveira
March 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Or see this thread in AT:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43136&highlight=fastest+string+mater ials+market+today

Dean Lawter
March 15th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Bigdog knows strings! Hey look, if you want to spend money on pre strethed stings these guys are right, you can buy some good stuff. I made strings for years from all types of fibers. I now have 2 Mathews LX's with factory strings. I went in garage when I got bows out of new box, installed arrow rests and shot 400 times into bag before I began my set up. After set up was complete I made marks on cam so I could watch for creep. There has been zero creep on either bow and they have been shot thousands of times. Keep'em waxed

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Dean Lawter:

Thanks! You give me a big head!

Those marks on the cams: If both the string and cable creep the same, the marks won't move, right? How about ATA and brace height?

low12
March 16th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Have tried most all strings and settled on Zebra strings. If you will put on a Zebra string and a Tiger buss, in that combination, after the shoot in period, the marks on the cam will never move again.

Jim

Dean Lawter
March 16th, 2005, 08:13 PM
ATA and brace height is still the same!

tjb357452
March 17th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Ditto the Vapor Trail product. A good string will usually settle within 60 shots. Some strings will never stop moving and are so poorly made as to be worthless. Mathews strings have gotten better, but they're not nearly as nice as the Vapor Trail Strings.

pbwhite
March 17th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I bought an ovation in September and after the initial bit of stretch, it has not budged since. It has stock a stock zebra on it. I now have an LX with a tiger string on it and it moved a tiny bit after the first couple of hundred shots but it has also not moved at all since. I don't know why everyone is so down on zebra and tiger strings. I have owned numerous ones and have never had a problem.