PDA

View Full Version : Another Rage Survivor.

Pages : [1] 2

TrophyGameTags
December 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
This deer was apparently shot on Nov.16 with a 3 blade rage. Check the dates on the neighbors trail cam pics. Hunter I'm sure was EnRaged!

jbsoonerfan
December 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
In before the bashers

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'd suggest getting a fact checker before posting things like this....

Whaack
December 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Wow, that looks like a spot-on shot. I would think that is a dead deer.

PassYoungBucks
December 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wow.

TrophyGameTags
December 15th, 2011, 12:00 PM
No matter what broadhead was used, this should be a dead deer. I don't use Rage, but this one appears to be, because of the lack of penetration.

tarsalgland
December 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
And you know it was a RAGE because.......................

Let me guess. You killed the deer with a different broadhead you just had to have because some TV personality endorses it and recovered the arrow from the deer broadhead and all. It was then you were able to verify the broadhead was a rage. I'm guessing not.

tarsalgland
December 15th, 2011, 12:02 PM
No matter what broadhead was used, this should be a dead deer. I don't use Rage, but this one appears to be, because of the lack of penetration.

Lack of penetration? I shot a doe last night with a rage 2 blade at 35 yards and had a complete pass through. Check your facts and try the equipment before you start bashing.

Bowhunter 22
December 15th, 2011, 12:02 PM
huh.... interesting. That's too bad.

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
This deer was apparently shot on Nov.16 with a 3 blade rage. Check the dates on the neighbors trail cam pics. Hunter I'm sure was EnRaged!

So you actually don't know what broadhead was used but you felt the need to post up that APPARENTLY, APPEARS to be a Rage?

Nice going, toss this post in the garbage pile with the rest of the non fact based crap...

chaded
December 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Not sure what broadhead but it looks like a easton FMJ arrow. Not sure though.

B16vtec
December 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
thunderheads would have killed him...

Bo Bob
December 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Appears to have been an extremly quartering shot and possibly the BH glanced off a rib out ward and just slid up under the skin.

Looks like a short shaft, can't imagine there is a lot of shaft in the deer. Possible not a lot of speed and KE.

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
thunderheads would have killed him...

How do we know it wasn't a Thunderhead?

tarsalgland
Why does the bottom picture look like the arrow is pointing more towards the ground? I might call shenanigans on this one.

TrophyGameTags
Not bashing, just showing. My friend I hunt with shot a big buck last year with a rage 2 blade. Came back to the house all pumped up, said he nailed a big buck. Long story short, he sold his broadheads, and now is shooting fixed blades again. There's my facts. I saw that deer on the hoof 2 weeks later with a big gash on the side of his rib cage, alive and well.

I like Meat
December 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Once again WHY post this trash ....moderators Please pull this ....... more ammo for the antis.....didnt you guys read the thread about this crap and we being our own worst enemies......

Whaack
Whether it was a Rage or not it should be a dead deer. If the OP doesn't know for a fact that it was a Rage then shame on him.

jbsoonerfan
OP, so you don't know what BH was used? You just ASSume it was a Rage?

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Not bashing, just showing. My friend I hunt with shot a big buck last year with a rage 2 blade. Came back to the house all pumped up, said he nailed a big buck. Long story short, he sold his broadheads, and now is shooting fixed blades again. There's my facts. I saw that deer on the hoof 2 weeks later with a big gash on the side of his rib cage, alive and well.

Your facts are your friend shot one with a 2 blade Rage last year so this must be a 3 blade rage?

Really?

wacker stacker
December 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Wow! Shot with a field tip more like! That is something!

Nichko
December 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Cool pics, too bad the OP doesn't know the facts..

Elite fanboy
December 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
That should be a dead deer with any broadhead. Regardless of what head it was, I wonder why there was such a lack of penetration?

TrophyGameTags
December 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wow, tough crowd. Here's what the hunter reported:

"I shot this buck on Nov. 16 in Kansas from a ground blind at 16 yards with a
70 lbs. bow and a Rage 3 blade broad head. I waited until he was quartering
away and aimed for the opposite shoulder. The arrow penetrated almost to
the fletching. The deer ran about 60 yards, stopped, staggered and almost
went down. He looked around then ran another 120 yards and jumped over the
neighbors fence. We obtained permission to look for him and did so for most
of the next two days. We trailed him about 1/4 mile and lost blood. We
then put a tracking dog on him, but never found the buck. When the neighbor
checked his trail cameras this is what he found.

IowaHunter83
December 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Why does the bottom picture look like the arrow is pointing more towards the ground? I might call shenanigans on this one.

I agree with Tarsalgland on this one. These two pictures are not of the same arrow/penetration. The first picture the arrow is angled toward the front. The second picture looks like a broadside shot that hit too far back.

TauntoHawk
December 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Haha APPEARS to me that you cant see the broadhead at all if there was one... :thumbs_do

mike 66
December 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
deer can survive just fine with one lung.... seen this many times.a field tip will work out, but this guys is now weakened by infection.. nice pic i hope he kills this buck if so please video tape the skinning to end the story.....

zztop1026
December 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for setting the record straight.

useyourbow
December 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Not the broadhead it was the Hoyt bow. :wink:

2arrow1
December 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
i dont call BS on much but something here is fishy(story wise).

ARnut31
December 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
im callin bs on this!

chaded
December 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I agree with Tarsalgland on this one. These two pictures are not of the same arrow/penetration. The first picture the arrow is angled toward the front. The second picture looks like a broadside shot that hit too far back.

Its the same arrow and deer. There are two different angles and one picture appears to be closer than the other which could make things look a little different. Also, I believe since its at two different times that the arrow could get shifted around from hitting off brush or trees.

Buckhavoc
December 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM
another bad archer blaming it on the broadhead.... its not the arrow its the indian!

MissAlaLogBuyer
I dont care what kind of broadhead he had on the end of that arrow! Thats INSANE!

zztop1026
I think its the same deer i'm thinking as he drops his head to feed it's flexing the muscles in his neck and shoulders. Tighting things up and raising the arrow.

crockett
December 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM

ha ha... zztop beat me too it!

i thought this also but then noticed his head down in 1st pic and up in the 2nd.......this alone could change the shaft angle from photo to photo.......iv'e shot bucks that i thought would be lying "right over there somewhere" and end up tracking them all over creation!

leroy8541
December 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I made the same shot with 3-blade rage sorry to say got the same result. now in the process of trying new broadheads. I have made several kills on Identical shots with rage broadheads some completely passed thru. after a problem with a new string and a light arrow this was the result for me too. I love rage broad heads, but I have found their limitation..

zztop1026
December 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
It never fails something gets posted on here that people can't get their head around and they start screaming BS. ZZ

threetoe
December 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Poor Animal.
That's just wrong.

It would break my heart to wound a beautiful animal like that..

Whoever shot it should seriously stop hunting.

SAD..

crockett
December 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I made the same shot with 3-blade rage sorry to say got the same result. now in the process of trying new broadheads. I have made several kills on Identical shots with rage broadheads some completely passed thru. after a problem with a new string and a light arrow this was the result for me too. I love rage broad heads, but I have found their limitation..

maybe this will help you decide.....iv'e shot the last 9 deer with 3 100gr slick tricks and they didn't go far!....just going to get some new blades for next season

bowmadness83
December 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Crazy!!

mikepahl318
December 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Why is it so hard to believe that Rages fail so much? After all there is SOME truth to all stereotypes and if Rage failures are always the topic of discussion its most likely safe to assume a degree of truth.

crockett
December 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Poor Animal.
That's just wrong.

SAD..

please don't cry.....**** happens buddy and you probably shouldn't hunt your way to emotional about killig deer!

06hoythunter
December 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Have any of you thought that maybe the arrow is shifting around as the deer moves, since the arrow is in differnt spots in the 2 pics

zztop1026
December 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM
You have got to be kidding the guy should give up hunting because he hit this deer and didn't kill it. if this was the case out ranks would be very thin in a very short time. so you have never shot a deer that you didn't recover?
Poor Animal.
That's just wrong.

SAD..

strazz
3 blade rages suck. im sorry. im not bashing rage at all my 2 blade rage just split open a heart in 2

Briar

They are photos a day apart. First day the arrow is sticking almost straight out, 2nd day it has been bent or pushed back due to brush or something else I would guess.

leroy8541
December 15th, 2011, 12:44 PM
between g-5 strikers and slick tricks right now strikers penetrate a little better slick tricks are a little cheaper. bought 3 pack of both and trying them out I really like the striker. now that my bow is fixed and still have some heavy arrows ( cx pile drivers) I still like the rages you just have to use them correctly.

RoddyScott
December 15th, 2011, 12:44 PM
The extereme angle is the problem here not the broadhead. The arrow is in the deers shoulder thats why the arrow is still in the deer. NOt taking up for the Rage, just stating my observations. I'm not sure that angle would have resulted in a kill with my old Muzzys or slick tricks either.

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Why is it so hard to believe that Rages fail so much? After all there is SOME truth to all stereotypes and if Rage failures are always the topic of discussion its most likely safe to assume a degree of truth.

What degree of truth should we accept for any given topic based on assumptions?

Tell your theory to the attorneys if you ever want to get out of jury duty.....

Olgord
December 15th, 2011, 12:47 PM

If that arrow would have done what I put in bold, that deer would be dead.

OlGord

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM
What degree of truth should we accept for any given topic based on assumptions?

double

brodiemeadows
December 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Shot this deer 32 yds, 64# 287 fps, complete pass through rage 2 blade. 5 th one this year an all pass throughs i wouldnt trade rage for anything and ive shot all kinds: thunderhead and muzzy. 1230233

walleyehunter78
December 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Unreal, thanks for sharing pics. You always wonder what happens when shots go bad. Looks to me like there was more angle quartering away, or it deflected. Happened to me once, don't know if twig or broadhead kicked arrow, but the deer ran off with arrow flat on its side, just behind shoulder. I probably would of left out the part of it being a rage, like i did:wink:

Grizz1219
December 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
If that arrow would have done what I put in bold, that deer would be dead.

OlGord

X 1000 even with a field point...

TrophyGameTags
December 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Here's another pic, Nov.22.

TrophyGameTags
December 15th, 2011, 01:00 PM
One more, for the road.

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
oh, with those two pics I'm now convinced it was a 3 blade Rage. I can also tell it was shot from a bow at 67 pounds, d-loop on the string and hook style release. The hunter was obviously using some type of scent control clothing too.

crockett
December 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM
enough pics already........will someone PLEASE put that buck down!

mn5503
December 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/mn5503/258Troll_spray.jpg

bsites9
December 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM

We have a winner folks!!! Dumbest statement of the week.

I thought there was going to be even the SLIGHTEST bit of proof in his comment until I read his whole post.

danimal7802
December 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
pretty poor shot selection. looks like the deer spotted him drawing his bow, turned and started to run away and the arrow was released at a predominately straight away shot, therefore, entering the deer just below the hide while glancing off of the ribs.:)

CUPPEDFowl
December 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
oh, with those two pics I'm now convinced it was a 3 blade Rage. I can also tell it was shot from a bow at 67 pounds, d-loop on the string and hook style release. The hunter was obviously using some type of scent control clothing too.

Seriously, man???

How could you miss that clearly these pictures show that he was using a Double Bull Ground Blind!? hahahaha. Liking the troll Spray pic.

sirrobinhood
December 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Man that shot looks good to me..regardless of broadhead brand

mez
December 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Don't care what kind of BH was used that shot is too high. It is not in the shoulder blade either, a good ways behind the shoulder blade. You can clearly see the outline of the shoulder blade in the frist picture. It may have got the back of the near side lung. That is the area of the junction between the loin/spine and the chest cavity. Poor shot placement from a ground blind.

flintcreek6412
December 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Not sure what's worse....someone bashing rages or those defending.

The OP could be legit by knowing the date it was shot and what it was shot with. The fletching should tell the tale as that hunter should be able to ID his fletching. Unfortunately now even that would be suspect.

I can say that no matter what happened I'd be bummed because that looks like a good shot placement for a quartering deer.

Bowfreak
December 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Cut away showing spine and vitals.

scrub1
December 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Rage, its like throwing an axe handle at a deer

larmike
December 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Look at the pics again if you think the arrow is angling forward in the 2nd pic...it sure looks rearward to me.

I 1 lunged a beauty 10 this year with a Ramcat (wicked 3 blade fixed head that I've had great success with last 2 years). Hit low - was expecting him to drop, he didn't. Didn't get him. Need to pop both lungs. I've used Rage and RM Snypers in the past, but went back to fixed 3 years ago to simplify things (less moving parts), I prefer chisel points, and I'm a "shoulder hugger" when I aim. My buddy still uses them (rages), took 2 beauty bucks w/them this year; I've shot 4 deer w/them - all went down w/in 80yrds...but all were double lungers.

My Points: 1) an archery shot is like real estate...location, location, location. From the pics - I agree w/those that said "got 1 lung". 2) Crap happens with all types of heads. 3) Deer, especially mature bucks, are tough as h-ll. You better hit them right or they will either survive or live quite a while post hit.

Too bad...beauty deer.

Kstigall
December 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Just getting this on the second page so folks can read for themselves that the history of the arrow in the deer IS known.

Hawgfan
December 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Right in the VOID....:darkbeer:

APAsuphan
December 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Wow

Make It Happen
December 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
well is it the same color fletching on the arrow? same markings on the shaft? Because it looks like white fletching and maybe a green nock?
so does it look like his arrow?

catfishmafia76
December 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Rage broadheads are junk and should be made illegal. Anyone that hunts with them should be arrested and charged with animal cruelty. I mean rage broadheads are great heads. I used them for several years without any problems and was impressed with the huge holes they cut. That about cover it?????lol. I am not surprised that a any broadhead COULD be deflected by a rib and lodge under the skin on what should have been a lethal hit. Stuff happens and deer have an incredible will to live. I hope that the infection doesn't kill him though.

lunghit
December 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I agree 100% These threads do no good at all.

Once again WHY post this trash ....moderators Please pull this ....... more ammo for the antis.....didnt you guys read the thread about this crap and we being our own worst enemies......

Bowfreak
December 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Inverted the deer photo, resized it to the cut away of carcass photo, and then overlayed them.

mez
December 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I agree 100% These threads do no good at all.

Not true, this one does a lot of good. That is a bad shot, period. It is far too high from a ground blind. Would have been fine from a tree stand but not the ground. Topographical anatomy is very important and also very different that looking at a carcass.

Make It Happen
Thats really cool how you did the pics Bowfreak

bdeal
Has to be a rage. Any other head and that's a dead deer.

mez
Thanks for the pics and overlay's Bowfreak. Shows it very well and is very accurate.

170p&ywhitail
December 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Not a kansas buck!

DJ Trout
December 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Dead deer, bad shot or whatever!....It is what it is....... But I believe it's a Rage broadhead in that deer.

TriState
December 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/paulczarnecki/Zebra-308-Burchells-AssProflePoopTxt.jpg

retrieverfishin
December 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
HAHA...like it steve....

hawgdawg
December 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM

or either shot from a long ways off or a very low poundage bow or both.

Whaack
December 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
The amount of ignorant posts on this thread is nauseating.

Ybuck
December 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
-----------------

scrapejuice
December 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
after going back and looking at all 4 pics. Especially the 1st and 3rd pics, the shot don't look THAT bad. A little high and a little forward for the angle, but if I made that shot, I would still feel like that is a deer I would find. Regardless of what BH I was shooting. Believe its a freaky thing that he is still on his feet roaming around.

just say'n.

scrapejuice
December 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Don't care what kind of BH was used that shot is too high. It is not in the shoulder blade either, a good ways behind the shoulder blade. You can clearly see the outline of the shoulder blade in the frist picture. It may have got the back of the near side lung. That is the area of the junction between the loin/spine and the chest cavity. Poor shot placement from a ground blind.

Not sure what's worse....someone bashing rages or those defending.

The OP could be legit by knowing the date it was shot and what it was shot with. The fletching should tell the tale as that hunter should be able to ID his fletching. Unfortunately now even that would be suspect.

I can say that no matter what happened I'd be bummed because that looks like a good shot placement for a quartering deer.

Inverted the deer photo, resized it to the cut away of carcass photo, and then overlayed them.

Good job doing the overlay, but I believe its portraying the arrow to be a little more forward than it actually is. The actual deer with the arrow in it is slightly quartering away. The carcass photo is directly broadside.

hawgdawg
December 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
or either shot from a long ways off or a very low poundage bow or both.

And I stand corrected by later post giving distance and bow info.

Robin@AimLow
December 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Not true, this one does a lot of good. That is a bad shot, period. It is far too high from a ground blind. Would have been fine from a tree stand but not the ground. Topographical anatomy is very important and also very different that looking at a carcass.

It only took 77 posts for someone to say what I was thinking. I wasn't going to say "far too high" but was going to say "too high" and maybe even deflected upward/forward by the spine. I say upward/forward because of the dipping of the spine towards the front of the deer in that area.

For those saying "lack of" penetration...there is plenty. You guys think a deer is way more wide than they actually are. Half an arrow is way plenty.

Robin@AimLow
December 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
We have a winner folks!!! Dumbest statement of the week.

I thought there was going to be even the SLIGHTEST bit of proof in his comment until I read his whole post.

Nah...I give you that award. You might have read his whole post, but you sure didn't read the whole thread where he posted some more info.

dmgiss
December 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Regardless, that is a nice buck. It's a shame he has to live with an arrow sticking out of him. My guess is he will eventually die from some sort of infection. That's a shame. If I hit one there, I would really think he would have died.

fishx65
December 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Would someone please just go setup by that frickin camera and finish him off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did anyone ever kill this buck or was he eventually found dead?

3d-deerhunter
December 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! S@#T HAPPENS. let me guess all the shots you have taken were perfect.

4evrl8
December 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Ok now I'm really confused! between this bad shot and T Bones shot discussed a few days age! Both looked good at first glance but it takes how many second quesses and an autopsy to figure maybe they aren't so good.

I just don't now were to shot em now! that pie plate is starting to look like a beer coster.

B&C Bones
December 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Dang, another deer born without lungs. Seems to be a common birth defect in this years herd!

z7master167
December 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
How do you know he was using a rage?

WEEGEE
December 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM

some have no clue...period.....

hunter74
December 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
It's called hunting for a reason hate to see it but it does happen not all hunting is like on tv.
Poor Animal.
That's just wrong.

SAD..

KeeganA
December 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
the arrow probably hit the opposite shoulder and depends on the way hes standing to move the arrow up and down with his shoulder.

MIbowhunter49
December 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Lack of penetration? I shot a doe last night with a rage 2 blade at 35 yards and had a complete pass through. Check your facts and try the equipment before you start bashing.

You're kidding, right? Lack of penetration has got to be the #1 bashed fact about Rage.

QS34Reaper
December 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Tough animal is the whitetail...ashamed he will not make it through the winter we have coming. It happens though...that is part of the game we play. Gun, bow, xbow...rage, muzzy, rockets...scott, tru fire, carter...Ripcord, golden key, whisker biscuit...hoyt, mathews, pse......could happen to anyone.

3d-deerhunter
December 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
cant agree more qs34reaper

Bucks & Bulls
December 15th, 2011, 03:34 PM
If you look at the first pic notice the angle of the arrow. The second pic shows it sticking out. That must be like a 4ft arrow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bsites9
December 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Nah...I give you that award. You might have read his whole post, but you sure didn't read the whole thread where he posted some more info.

actually, after i thought about it, I still give him the award. He should have posted all of the info in the original post. But he didn't, and his original post, as is, was pretty dumb.

DMAX-HD
December 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM

I guess the arrow could be lying over the spine. It would explain why when the deer lifts up his head the external part of the arrow points down - that even makes a little sense. :doh:

Saying it's a Rage just because the deer isn't dead is laughable. Thatĺs like hearing on the news there was a traffic accident and me saying it must have been a Toyota.

I like Meat
December 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM
some have no clue...period.....
Yep, that is why these clowns keep posting this drivel ....

double o
December 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
One thing i cant stand is when some one thinks they have fuel for the fire about a failing product they just have to post it on AT.

Cool story OP but a major FAIL in my book.

People are still going to use Rage broadheads and some people make poor shots sometimes. Thats hunting. Whats your goal to posting this? It wasnt your shot. It wasnt your deer. So why start a usless thread about someone elses deer?

Doubledroptine4
December 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM

In the first pic the buck has his head down which is going to bring the back end of the arrow up

rgcanfield86
December 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Tough animal is the whitetail...ashamed he will not make it through the winter we have coming. It happens though...that is part of the game we play. Gun, bow, xbow...rage, muzzy, rockets...scott, tru fire, carter...Ripcord, golden key, whisker biscuit...hoyt, mathews, pse......could happen to anyone.

X2........ Some folks will never understand that this tuff shappens. Doesn't matter what equipment you use or how much you paid for it. This SHOULD have been a dead deer even if someone was shooting a 40 lb recurve with an arrowhead.

OP, next time you might want to put all the info in the first post. Obviously some see a Rage bash thread and read the first post and go on to slam the poster with out reading further to find ot you know the guy who shot the deer and he used 3 Blade Rages.............

TrophyGameTags
December 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
One thing i cant stand is when some one thinks they have fuel for the fire about a failing product they just have to post it on AT.

Cool story OP but a major FAIL in my book.

People are still going to use Rage broadheads and some people make poor shots sometimes. Thats hunting. Whats your goal to posting this? It wasnt your shot. It wasnt your deer. So why start a usless thread about someone elses deer?

After reading the posts on this thread, I wish I would have left out the word "rage" in the title. Why did I post this, because its not every day you see pictures like this, which looked like a pretty decent shot. When I saw the pictures of this buck, it reminded me of the T-Bone and Waddell buck. As someone mentioned here before, it is not a useless thread, and could be used as a learning experience for shot placement from a ground blind.

double o
December 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
After reading the posts on this thread, I wish I would have left out the word "rage" in the title. Why did I post this, because its not every day you see pictures like this, which looked like a pretty decent shot. When I saw the pictures of this buck, it reminded me of the T-Bone and Waddell buck. As someone mentioned here before, it is not a useless thread, and could be used as a learning experience for shot placement from a ground blind.

Fair enough. I think you've learned that the word Rage on AT is a sensitive subject. Be carful what you post here. These guys dont let anything slip.

Yamahog12
December 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I think its the same deer i'm thinking as he drops his head to feed it's flexing the muscles in his neck and shoulders. Tighting things up and raising the arrow.I thought the same thing.

Dan7168
December 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM
This should be in the broadhead discussion forum as it is only to Bash Rage

chuckalope
December 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hey it happens, I know if you even come close to saying a Rage didn't work you are bashed. It's not a perfect world, for one reason or another those shots happen. I am always amazed at how tough these animals are. With all the controversy, I sold my Rages and went to Slick Tricks Mags. You don't see 100 threads bashing them and I watched all 3 of my deer drop this year. One was a marginal hit, my fault completely, I went too far forward and low and got both shoulder blades. Pass through no problem, 28 yards 63lbs. The blades never even bent. I sharpened it and shot a doe 2 days later.

DoeSlayer75
December 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM

+2 Agreed kill this thread

wolfeman
December 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
that should be a dead deer!!!! a field tip in 4 days would kill it i bet!

BucksnBass525
December 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
One more, for the road.

With that shot and quartering away its possible he got little if any vitals. Definitely not heart and pretty high for lungs, maybe nipped liver but doesn't look like it. Looks to me high and buried in the other shoulder which explains it not coming out. Hopefully he breaks it off or it dislodges soon and doesn't do damage on its way out. Keep us posted but I bet this deer is caught on camera in the future, less the arrow and looking better.

bwlacy
December 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
It probably wouldn't have mattered what bh was used. It's poor shot placement. People always blame the equipment when they make a bad shot. I don't shoot Rages and can't say good or bad about them, never used them. But I have lost deer with Muzzy and Thunderheads in the past do to shot placement.

That shot is too high and maybe far back, depends on the angle of the shot. But for sure a few inches to high.

JoeRE
December 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
It only took 77 posts for someone to say what I was thinking. I wasn't going to say "far too high" but was going to say "too high" and maybe even deflected upward/forward by the spine. I say upward/forward because of the dipping of the spine towards the front of the deer in that area.

For those saying "lack of" penetration...there is plenty. You guys think a deer is way more wide than they actually are. Half an arrow is way plenty.

I agree. It is a bit depressing to see how many "bowhunters" are very deficient in their understanding of deer anatomy.

pjrol
December 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Maybe its a crossbow bolt and only entered a short way. Friend had pictures of a buck with an arrow similar to this and then found the bolt on his food plot a few days later.

tiny52
December 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I agree. It is a bit depressing to see how many "bowhunters" are very deficient in their understanding of deer anatomy.

Speaking of the location as to entry on this deer?.... thats pretty funny.

dac
December 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I say it was somebody on TV them guys never get a pass through.:mg:

buffalohunter
December 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Funny how Rage always gets a spark from both sides.

BowArkie
December 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
They also shot Pods!

davejohnson2
December 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
well looking at the shot he either got the front high end of one lung, or went over the spine, the spine dips down as it gets to the shoulder and is lower than people think, some call it the "void", but it is really just a miss lol. no matter the head i dont think that deer would have died on that severe angle and high shot. the top of the lungs are less vascular than the lower and middle areas, why do you think people aim low 1/3 of a deer? they can live on 1 lung if they dont lose too much blood first. i wouldnt put the blame on the head but rather the shot, and i dont even like rages. would a fixed head have gotten better penetration? probably, but would it matter here? probably not.

navyman20
December 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM
i just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading posts on here, and then deciding to comment on it....

Fred Bear 191
December 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Poor deer!

I don't post much but really feel bad after seeing the photos.

Rage broadheads are made for advertising.
DO NOT use these things they are garbage.

The blades will and can open upon flight and there is no track for the blades to follow. They can deploy any which way possible which will decrease penetration to the MAX.

nontypical169
December 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Poor deer!

The blades will and can open upon flight and there is no track for the blades to follow. They can deploy any which way possible which will decrease penetration to the MAX.

Great 10th post. You should have to change your screen name because you sir are not worthy. I want to know how in the h!@# you know they open in flight. Have you personally seen this happen? If you have and have proof besides you just repeating what all the rage bashers say Id like to see it.

Dan7168
December 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Poor deer!

Made for advertising? hmm I have killed NUMEROUS deer with rage as have a TON of other people.
The blades WILL open in flight? Really? Guess we don't all have this issue, plus even if they do it has been proven that it does not effect arrow flight by numerous test done on here

Anyone notice the story posted was the arrow was buried to the fletchings? That arrow is not and never was even close to buried to the fletchings.

Uncle Bucky
December 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
If that penetrated to the fletching that deer should have been dead

I don't aim to hit the opposite shoulder, I aim so the arrow will nick the elbow or leg

I've shoot plenty of deer that died with my Rage 2 blades quartering away, here is a video of one:

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/bowhunterjohn/?action=view&current=2010novemberdoenocktur nalvid-2.mp4

zztop1026
December 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ttt
if that penetrated to the fletching that deer should have been dead

i don't aim to hit the opposite shoulder, i aim so the arrow will nick the elbow or leg

i've shoot plenty of deer that died with my rage 2 blades quartering away, here is a video of one:

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/bowhunterjohn/?action=viewĄt=2010novemberdoe nocktur nalvid-2.mp4

evasiveone
December 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Like others have said, with all the daytime pictures of this buck from consecutive days, why has someone not put him out of his misery?

Uncle Bucky
December 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Like others have said, with all the daytime pictures of this buck from consecutive days, why has someone not put him out of his misery?

he might not be in misery, maybe he is healing up ? they are tough animals

Uncle Bucky
December 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
strongly quartering away deer should not be shot in the ribs, asking for any broadhead to follow the path of least resistance

Seems to me that common sense would say that arrrow traveled under the skin up to the shoulder, otherwise if his chest cavity was opened up then he would be dead where that arrow hit, his chest cavity would most likely decompress

Uncle Bucky
December 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM

exactly why I believe and these photos prove that arrow did not enter the chest cavity, it slide along the ribs, which any broadhead could easily do if shot an extreme quartering away angle. another reason to aim right behind the last rib, you'll hit some stomach, but you'll take out the liver, diaphram and one or both lungs, a injury that no deer can survive

GrizzlyMan1980
December 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Poor deer!

The blades will and can open upon flight and there is no track for the blades to follow. They can deploy any which way possible which will decrease penetration to the MAX.Whatever,GO Bash some more,I Wasnt a Believer either then seen what they do with a Qualified Bowhunter of 32 Years,There deadly,And now i Am a Believer,I Can understand why you dont Post much,Knowledge,Dont Bash the Equipment,Its the Talent of the Bow hunter,Its Called Shot Placement....

Uncle Bucky
December 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Reading through all the post, now I see, shooting from a ground blind and the angle upwards, yep bad shot, same as hitting too low from a high tree stand

All those saying poor deer ? he is eating right ? then he must not be in any serious pain or agony, he'll survive and next year you'll have a freaky racked deer

happyhunter62
December 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM

amen to that!!! i shot this buck at 35yds also with a rage 2 blade with a complete passthrough. i guess these heads dont work do they? this thread is nothing but a freaking joke!

happyhunter62
December 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM

yeah, use a little common sense and dont shoot a light arrow. i guess thats why i have great luck with them. my arrow weighs 453 grains.

kylecurtis04
December 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
In the first pic the buck has his head down which is going to bring the back end of the arrow up

ding, ding, ding! Finally someone has realized this. OMG, it only took over 100 posts for someone to finally use their common sense about how positioning of a body will alter angles.

xtreme
December 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have shot the rage for 3 years now. I have never had animal run over 80 yrds. I still have the same 3 that I bought and the only thing I did was change blades. 90 % I see drop, the other 10% is because they run down a hill out of sight. With 20 yrs. of bowhuinting I never seen a BH put so much damage on a animal than the rage.
Other than that, I am very skeptical of the photos anyway. Any BH can fail, I dont care if it is fixed or mechanical.

crockett
December 15th, 2011, 08:58 PM
you should read the whole thread and you would of maybe posted somthing else......was said on the second page

ding, ding, ding! Finally someone has realized this. OMG, it only took over 100 posts for someone to finally use their common sense about how positioning of a body will alter angles.

davejohnson2
December 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
one thing i notice about these rage threads is that everyone has to defend the head like it is jesus on a stick, and that no other broadhead will kill deer, and the other guys that say it couldnt kill a fly and it bounces off a foam target. while i agree they are not the toughest heads, and dont get all the penetration that a fixed can, they do leave a good blood trail, but that comes at the cost of not being as tough as say a 1 piece solid fixed head, or getting the penetration on hard bone hits. however that fixed head will not bleed as much on a high or mid height hit. (on low hits they are about equal on blood trails though) there are pros and cons to every head i dont understand why guys are either 100% for or 100% against. therre are tradeoffs with everything and you have to decide which you want to use based on those tradeoffs. any head will kill a deer if you put it where it counts

ArchersParadox
December 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Appears to have been an extremly quartering shot and possibly the BH glanced off a rib out ward and just slid up under the skin.

Looks like a short shaft, can't imagine there is a lot of shaft in the deer. Possible not a lot of speed and KE.

..my thoughts exactly.....BH at an extreme 1/4'ing away angle glanced off a rib and slipped under the hide....because of the angle he cannot reach backwards and "pull" the arrow out....

Shafted
December 15th, 2011, 09:18 PM

I guess you missed this part>>>>>>>>

checked his trail cameras this is what he found."

Sounds like he has all the info on what happened. I don't see any reason to not beleive this is a true story.

CMA121885
December 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I shot a 139" 10 point a few years ago with a 3 blade rage at 32 yards, 74 lbs with a 400 gr arrow. Did not get a pass through and he was broadside. I did find the deer and had to put another one in him. Do I blame it on the boadhead, Nope not at all. I cant really answer what it was, only thing I can say is I took the biggest archery buck of my life with the initial shot of the rage, the deer would have expired without the 2nd shot, but with excitement, and nerves It was me that pushed the deer. But the end results was the same in my case. I retreived the deer and had a good day in the woods without jumping on AT and bashing the broadhead when in all reality.....IT DONE ITS JOB. This head being a rage, bloodrunner, muzzy or a head chiseled from a rock, didnt do what it needed to and its very possible its not the head that caused this.

The picture does look like a poorly chosen shot. Quatering shots are tough, especially with a big cutting head. I will not shoot a big head with lower poundage. Hope the deer makes a full recovery and the hunter gets another shot at him, maybe he will take a better shot.

jeffco
December 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
another bad archer blaming it on the broadhead.... its not the arrow its the indian!

Dude, that is not a bad shot. I can't speak for the archer, but it's not a bad shot. You just thought you had a funny little one liner you'd throw out there, huh? The archer just seemed to have very bad luck on that particular day.

Mordekyle
December 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
It seems like TrophyGameTags has the inside scoop. Do you know the hunter Trophy? Why don't you just ask him and end the speculation?

If not, why do we presume this is the same deer, the same hunter, and even that it is true in the first place?

kylecurtis04
December 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
you should read the whole thread and you would of maybe posted somthing else......was said on the second page

Its not worth my time to read through all those posts. Sorry you actually have the time on your hands to do that, but my life doesn't revolve around AT.

Uncle Bucky
December 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Dude, that is not a bad shot. I can't speak for the archer, but it's not a bad shot. You just thought you had a funny little one liner you'd throw out there, huh? The archer just seemed to have very bad luck on that particular day.

its hard to say if that was a bad shot or not, depends on how hard it was quartering away. If it was quartering away hard then the ribs did their job, to deflect and protect.

Like I stated before, if they are quartering away hard I shoot em right behind the last rib, my goal is to make the arrow try to exit right behind the opposite shoulder not into the opposite shoulder

Your going through the deer in the second most thickest angle, why slow your arrow down with hitting ribs, which will also act like a deflector

I've seen bullets travel down the ribs, so its not the head, its the angle

Boonerbrad
December 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Not a surprising result to most of us at all. A combination of a hard quartering angle,open on impact head and shooting from a ground blind. It all adds up and the result is bad for the hunter and the animal. The deer would have a much greater chance at survival if the shaft would break off and let the wound seal over. I am really surprised the arrow has not been pulled out since it is an open on impact head. They have a better chance at retracting and not continuing to cut on these type shots. No doubt a fixed head would have penetrated better and maybe never deflected enough to hit high and forward but not sure there was going to be any vitals hit either way. Hope he survives and the next hunter is better prepared and equiped.

ozzz
December 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Poor *******. (the deer)

Babyk
December 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM
wow this picture is hard for be to think that deer could live with a great hit like that put on it...Ive hit them worst and found them!!!

Straight Arrow
December 15th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I've seen this happen before,a couple of posters here have it right,too much quartering away,arrow deflects along ribs lodges in the shoulder area!

It was more common back in the recurve days with low poundage bows!

ozzz
December 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Think he will die during winter?

QS34Reaper
December 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Think he will die during winter?

I do...winter can get pretty brutal in North Wisconsin....plus the wolves are abundant now. Although he is eating which is good. Guess we will have to wait and see.

APA21
December 15th, 2011, 11:55 PM
looks like a it was shot with a feild tip any broadhead sould kill in that spot.

justanotherbuck
December 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
my guess if he does not show up for pic time this month or next month hes dead

mn5503
December 16th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I guess you missed this part>>>>>>>>

checked his trail cameras this is what he found."

Sounds like he has all the info on what happened. I don't see any reason to not beleive this is a true story.

No, I saw that part.

I've also seen a cougar dragging a buck in front of a trail cam. Problem is the cougar was dragging that buck from Maine to Hawaii.

There's only one person out there that knows the actual story behind these pics and that person isn't posting on this thread. A cut and paste from third party? That's how a cougar ends up dragging a buck across the entire country.

I guess I just don't believe everything I read on the internet. There's been a few times where information isn't correct. When it's emailed from a friends, uncles, neighbor, more often than not the story changes a bit from the original version.

txcookie
December 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM
BS

everyone knows rage wont penetrate this well

tiny52
December 16th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Your not saying anything that hasn't been said before.

Last outfitter I dealt with said there were three broadheads that he wouldn't allow on his ranch and 2 of them were Rage.
He said (with over 1800 clients each year) roughly half of the deer/hogs that were shot with the Rage were found dead, dying or absolutely fine.... sometimes days after the shot.
Many times in area's far from the shooters blind.

He said that it wasn't the shooters shot placement.
He saw no difference in shot placement for rage shooters as compared to any other archer on his ranch.

His experience with archery hunters at his ranch showed that wounds accounted for (in his words) 10-15% of losses and the better part of those wounds that resulted in a non-recovery were maybe 10% shot placement related.
Conversely, the Rage heads were at about 50% wound rate with shot placement being the same 10%

That's enough evidence for me!

The other head was the Hyper shock.

This is coming from a Professional who sees more dead deer in a year, than a hard core hunter will take in a life time.
That's good enough for me.

Poor deer!

SoIl.deerslayer
December 16th, 2011, 12:30 AM
my brother in law shot a deer and killed it with a field point(accidentally).he and i both use rage.no failures in 12 years each.the field point took a day and a half to track.i have used all sorts of bh.and sometimes still switch up or try something new.even the cheap stuff works.i must be in a magical part of the world where everything mechanical and non works as advertised.i dont shoot competitively nor am i a paid or staff shooter.branches ,nerves,and deer movement have made me miss and miss hit.my set up is pretty heavy compared to average.but i never aim for shoulder either.i think there are to many other factors for mech failure.lots of hunters i know wont shoot them for fear of failure but cant truely say the have had one.but i know even more that swear by them.mech hater stirring it up is what this sounds like

zztop1026
December 16th, 2011, 01:05 AM
You were the one that said it took 100 posts till someone came up with the right answer. Like you had read them all. Some of us have been following this thread since it started. If its not worth your time to read it. Why would you go off half cocked and make a statement on something you didn't read thru.
Its not worth my time to read through all those posts. Sorry you actually have the time on your hands to do that, but my life doesn't revolve around AT.

schruthg
December 16th, 2011, 01:20 AM
my brother in law shot a deer and killed it with a field point(accidentally).he and i both use rage.no failures in 12 years each.the field point took a day and a half to track.i have used all sorts of bh.and sometimes still switch up or try something new.even the cheap stuff works.i must be in a magical part of the world where everything mechanical and non works as advertised.i dont shoot competitively nor am i a paid or staff shooter.branches ,nerves,and deer movement have made me miss and miss hit.my set up is pretty heavy compared to average.but i never aim for shoulder either.i think there are to many other factors for mech failure.lots of hunters i know wont shoot them for fear of failure but cant truely say the have had one.but i know even more that swear by them.mech hater stirring it up is what this sounds like

How the **** do you accidentally shoot a deer with a field tip?

tiny52
December 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM
How the **** do you accidentally shoot a deer with a field tip?

LOL!, thats what I said to myself when I read that!

mathewsrzn1992
December 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM
1st pic looks like the deer should be dead no matter what BH the shooter was using. The second picture tho looks like the deer was quartering away really hard and maybe the arrow penetrated just past the ribs. Just my opinion.

turkeyhunter60
December 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM
The amount of ignorant posts on this thread is nauseating.

I have to agree with you.......:thumbs_do:darkbeer:

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 02:12 AM
People that shoot expandables should be tied to a tree and horse whipped until they lose control of their bodily functions. ^^^ This guy nailed it. :thumbs_up

tiny52
December 16th, 2011, 02:15 AM
^^^ This guy nailed it. :thumbs_up

:rolleyes:

flintcreek6412
December 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
one thing i notice about these rage threads is that everyone has to defend the head like it is jesus on a stick, and that no other broadhead will kill deer, and the other guys that say it couldnt kill a fly and it bounces off a foam target. while i agree they are not the toughest heads, and dont get all the penetration that a fixed can, they do leave a good blood trail, but that comes at the cost of not being as tough as say a 1 piece solid fixed head, or getting the penetration on hard bone hits. however that fixed head will not bleed as much on a high or mid height hit. (on low hits they are about equal on blood trails though) there are pros and cons to every head i dont understand why guys are either 100% for or 100% against. therre are tradeoffs with everything and you have to decide which you want to use based on those tradeoffs. any head will kill a deer if you put it where it counts

Awesome!!!! I will have to steal that Jesus on a stick line.

QS34Reaper
December 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I do...winter can get pretty brutal in North Wisconsin....plus the wolves are abundant now. Although he is eating which is good. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I recant this staement....did not realize buck was shot in Kansas. I thought it was shot in N Wisconsin where OP lives. Winters in Kansas may not be as harsh and coyotes are probably a little less inclined to kill the deer than wolves...he is eating so the result is a good possability the deer may survive. Lesson learned on skipping posts. Thank you!

QS34Reaper
December 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by ozarksbuckslaye

People that shoot expandables should be tied to a tree and horse whipped until they lose control of their bodily functions.

Dude...that is an ignorant statement. I have a 100% reovery on animals shot with Rockets.

Most people should not shoot expandable because most people: 1) Cannot maintain enough composure on any animal to impliment perfect shooting form and put the arrow exactly where it needs to be. 2) Have equipment set up to get proper penetration (light arrows/low draw weights) 3) lack the diligence and patience to track and recover a mortally wounded animal regardless of the weapon it was shot with.

Not saying all....but a lot don't. I am no expert but I would bet my best lease that 95% of animals that are not recovered or live through these experiences was operator error....not EQUIPMENT FAILURE! That is an excuse to make one feel less shame for taking a poor shot, misjudging yardage or pushing a deer that would have died to soon.

BeastModeBwhntr
December 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM
my only question is why do people always seem it's necessary to post dumb crap without reading the thread in it's entirety. if the broadhead did indeed glance off a rib and only go under the skin it would be hard to PRECISELY know the angle in which the deer was shot unless the hunter come on and said how hard the deer was quartering away. it happens with a lot of broadheads that have STEEP blade angles, not just mechanicals. I don't like Rage broadheads or most mechanicals but it's not just a mechanical issue.

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Any idiot can see by the angle of the arrow that it definitely made its way inside the diaphragm and not just underneath the hide. That deer would have been toast if a good broadhead was used instead of a piece of chit Rage. They are the most bashed heads for a reason. That reason isn't because people people get off on picking on people who shoot them. They earned their bad reputation because they fold like a cheap suit when making contact with bone plus to say their penetration sucks would be a huge understatement.

hoyt3
December 16th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Wow! Shot with a field tip more like! That is something!

That's what I was thinking...so tired of rage bashing...use what you want.

raylandarcher
December 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM

I would agree with you.If you notice the fletching in the pic dated 11-19 it is pointing down towards the ground and the pic dated 11-20 the fletchings are perpendicular to the ground.It appears to be just under the hide and moving up and down when the deer is walking.

QS34Reaper
December 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Any idiot can see by the angle of the arrow that it definitely made its way inside the diaphragm and not just underneath the hide. That deer would have been toast if a good broadhead was used instead of a piece of chit Rage.

Problem with that is you said mechanicals in your origional post....not Rages. I have had one rage experience (thanks to AT) and it tipped the deer over as quick as my rockets. So with one experience, I don't have the grounds to form an opinion on Rages...like previously mentioned I have killed a lot of animals with rockets...recovering all....so I think a scouraging for me because I shoot mechanicals is out of line.

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Problem with that is you said mechanicals in your origional post....not Rages. I have had one rage experience (thanks to AT) and it tipped the deer over as quick as my rockets. So with one experience, I don't have the grounds to form an opinion on Rages...like previously mentioned I have killed a lot of animals with rockets...recovering all....so I think a scouraging for me because I shoot mechanicals is out of line.Okay then I wont discriminate. Rockets suck too. Steelheads are a credit to all expandables and I have had them to fail on multiple occasions.

raylandarcher
December 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
LOL!, thats what I said to myself when I read that!

I have done it myself.I shot at an 8 point and missed.He stopped after the shot.I kept my eyes on him the whole time and slowly reached in the quiver for another arrow and got it nocked and drew back.Once at full draw I was so focused on my shot I never looked at my arrow.I center punched his lungs and when I got down to get the arrow I then realized I had shot it with a field tip.I got lucky and recovered the deer after a short track job.But I been there and can understand how it may happen in the heat of the moment.

AmishArcher
December 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
if i saw my arrow hit at that angle on that deer, i'd have said dead deer w/o a doubt.

jbsoonerfan
December 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I have done it myself.I shot at an 8 point and missed.He stopped after the shot.I kept my eyes on him the whole time and slowly reached in the quiver for another arrow and got it nocked and drew back.Once at full draw I was so focused on my shot I never looked at my arrow.I center punched his lungs and when I got down to get the arrow I then realized I had shot it with a field tip.I got lucky and recovered the deer after a short track job.But I been there and can understand how it may happen in the heat of the moment.

Man, takes guts to post that. You will be called a poacher by the AT police now. :wink:

apache pilot
December 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM
he probably had a pod on that field tip! lol

chuckalope
December 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Your not saying anything that hasn't been said before.

Last outfitter I dealt with said there were three broadheads that he wouldn't allow on his ranch and 2 of them were Rage.
He said (with over 1800 clients each year) roughly half of the deer/hogs that were shot with the Rage were found dead, dying or absolutely fine.... sometimes days after the shot.
Many times in area's far from the shooters blind.

He said that it wasn't the shooters shot placement.
He saw no difference in shot placement for rage shooters as compared to any other archer on his ranch.

His experience with archery hunters at his ranch showed that wounds accounted for (in his words) 10-15% of losses and the better part of those wounds that resulted in a non-recovery were maybe 10% shot placement related.
Conversely, the Rage heads were at about 50% wound rate with shot placement being the same 10%

That's enough evidence for me!

The other head was the Hyper shock.

This is coming from a Professional who sees more dead deer in a year, than a hard core hunter will take in a life time.
That's good enough for me.

The Outfitter I go to in Ohio has banned 2 blade Rage from his Outfit. He still allows 3 blade Rage. Lost 12 deer of the course of the year and 11 were from 2 blade Rage. Before I get called a liar here is his web site, ask him yourself. www.bowoutfitters.com

TriState
December 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
^^^ This guy nailed it. :thumbs_up

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/paulczarnecki/298262_2205351246337_102406981 2_32096000_1632393750_n.jpg

Uncle Bucky
December 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
The Outfitter I go to in Ohio has banned 2 blade Rage from his Outfit. He still allows 3 blade Rage. Lost 12 deer of the course of the year and 11 were from 2 blade Rage. Before I get called a liar here is his web site, ask him yourself. www.bowoutfitters.com

sounds like he should be giving a shooting clinic and test before he lets people out on his land. I"ve shot 36 deer with Rage 2 blades and recovered 36 deer, don't see what the problem is, people just shoot deer at bad angles

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
sounds like he should be giving a shooting clinic and test before he lets people out on his land. I"ve shot 36 deer with Rage 2 blades and recovered 36 deer, don't see what the problem is, people just shoot deer at bad anglesWhat is a bad angle shot anyways? I've killed deer from every single angle anyone can possibly imagine except from underneath. I've shot them from head on right between the eyes to straight up the azz. If your arrow is wearing a good broadhead and kicking out enough KE then sick it on them and let it eat. I don't hunt in the world of gumdrops and rainbows where every deer poses broadside perfect every time and neither does anyone else on here.

badfaulkner
December 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Poor Animal.
That's just wrong.

SAD..

Really? You've never lost a deer?

It is sad. I hate seeing it. But this is a bloody sport. Animals get wounded every time someone fires and sometimes they get away. I'm not advocating careless shooting but I am saying even the best have lost a deer.

Mathews LD
December 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Responsable. Bowhunter is not going to make those kind of statements

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Responsable. Bowhunter is not going to make those kind of statementsYou don't make the rules so I damn sure don't have to abide by whatever bullchit that spews out of your fingertips and onto the keyboard.

eric schmaus
December 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
What is a bad angle shot anyways? I've killed deer from every single angle anyone can possibly imagine except from underneath. I've shot them from head on right between the eyes to straight up the azz. If your arrow is wearing a good broadhead and kicking out enough KE then sick it on them and let it eat. I don't hunt in the world of gumdrops and rainbows where every deer poses broadside perfect every time and neither does anyone else on here.What's a bad shot angle? Geez, I'm glad all bowhunters dont have this guys attitude, we'd all be in trouble! And so would the deer! What a jerk! Speak for yourself when you talk about what anyone else on here does! I dont know any bowhunters that take poor shots on purpose.

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
What's a bad shot angle? Geez, I'm glad all bowhunters dont have this guys attitude, we'd all be in trouble! And so would the deer! What a jerk! Speak for yourself when you talk about what anyone else on here does! I dont know any bowhunters that take poor shots on purpose.Just answer the question.

easton shooter
December 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
lack of penetration. idc what broadhead u use if u hit a deer in that nice of a spot and u have enough penetration ur taking out the lungs and it will die!!

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Cats got their tongue. It must be sinking in that a shot angle that is bad for their big junk expandables isn't any match for a good quality fixed head. Case and point. Put it in your pipe and smoke it.

downabuck
December 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I love rage threads they make me laugh... This guy says that.. the other says this... "I've never lost a deer...EVER with a rage.." "Rage are junk outfitters hate them" "You just hate em cause the TV ppl use them" "get your facts straight man, cause it couldn't ever be a rage" "I live here, you live there, I don't know you, but you must be lying" Never gets old.

For the record I use meat seekers... Never lost a deer ever like 150 of em plus. Ever. Oh and head shots only. See a rage beat that!

TriState
December 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Looks like its time for this......

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/paulczarnecki/facepalm-funny-picture.jpg

ozarksbuckslaye
December 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I love rage threads they make me laugh... This guy says that.. the other says this... "I've never lost a deer...EVER with a rage.." "Rage are junk outfitters hate them" "You just hate em cause the TV ppl use them" "get your facts straight man, cause it couldn't ever be a rage" "I live here, you live there, I don't know you, but you must be lying" Never gets old.

For the record I use meat seekers... Never lost a deer ever like 150 of em plus. Ever. Oh and head shots only. See a rage beat that!Haha that's a pretty good average and I applaud you for your shot selection as well. No meat wasted that way. :thumbs_up

chuckalope
December 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Funny how these threads never pop up about any other broadhead, lol!

Bone slayer
December 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Has there been any sign of the deers since the 19th of Nov? I would bet he isnt still alive and well now. There had to be at least 10" of penentration, and a wound like that is not just going to go away. A shame no matter what the story and a heck of a buck

JonathanGlass
December 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM
that should be a dead deer....

Quikhonda
December 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
hmmm seems like the arrow was light on KE and it looks like it hit a rib. Should have put it about 2 inches lower blew through him like a wet paper bag.. I shoot rage 2 blade .. Never had an issue with them unless i touch bone even then i still get enough to get the job done just might need to wait an extra hr or so..

LiteSpeed1
December 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM

For the record I use meat seekers... Never lost a deer ever like 150 of em plus. Ever. Oh and head shots only. See a rage beat that!

26 years old and 150+ deer? Wow.

Out East
December 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Looks to me like the arrow could have hit the spine but not paralyzed him, I guess that is possible. But then again its hard to believe the spine is that low on the deer.

Roskoes
December 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I saw a deer shot in that exact same spot last week from a ground blind - same level as the buck. G5 Montec sharpened to a razor's edge. Pass through, with blood blowing out both sides along the short blood trail. There is nothing wrong with shot placement here, at least from what I can see.

Uncle Bucky
December 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM
What is a bad angle shot anyways? I've killed deer from every single angle anyone can possibly imagine except from underneath. I've shot them from head on right between the eyes to straight up the azz. If your arrow is wearing a good broadhead and kicking out enough KE then sick it on them and let it eat. I don't hunt in the world of gumdrops and rainbows where every deer poses broadside perfect every time and neither does anyone else on here.

if a outfitter is having as many lost deer as the person stated, then he need to discuss shot placement. Me thinks there is some large exaggeration going on about the numbers

All I am saying is I've recovered every deer I've shot with Rage, would I have recovered them with other blades, most likely

I hope your joking about shooting deer in the head, which I assume you are.

pabuckslayer08
December 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Maybe it was shot with a juddo head, thats the only explanation of that arrow being there. Or a very light poundage bow of course, and as we know the Rage really doesnt work as well with super light weight bows. So im guessing 1 of those 2 things

JParanee
December 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
That sucks

But then so do expandable heads

kw1
December 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM

My thoughts exactly

KW

thirdhandman
December 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Mistake I know but totally illegal in Ohio. Broad head is too small. I wouldn't post it again or talk about it period.

mtn. archer
December 16th, 2011, 10:58 PM
looks like a bad shot that someone should not have taken. alot of u need to just quite bowhunting with some of the ignorant comments made

The "WIZARD"
December 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM
To me it almost looks like the arrow is in at such a steep angle that it could have buried in the edge of the front shoulder and not got into the lungs at all.

JParanee
December 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Head shots with bows

This place is great so many awesome hunters

JParanee
December 17th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Class group on here makes me proud to be a hunter

RoxieTrees
December 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Rage 3 blade entry...... Found him....1231260

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Fortyneck
December 17th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Rage 3 blade entry...... Found him....1231260

Is that the same buck from the OP?

Congrats :thumbs_up

Bucks & Bulls
December 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Some people shouldn't be allowed to hunt period.

RoxieTrees
December 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Negative. Just don't like it when people always assume rages are horrible. And thank you Sir.

EagleI79
December 17th, 2011, 02:24 AM
OK I'll bite!

Does your friend know the blue ones are for practice?

Skeptic
December 17th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Textbook spine shot. To high.

solohunter
December 17th, 2011, 05:15 AM

Looks like a short shaft, can't imagine there is a lot of shaft in the deer. Possible not a lot of speed and KE.yep

gagodfrey
December 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I think rage heads are TOTAL crap! I went on a safaree to Africa and took rage heads with me. I shot 6 different aminals and none of them died I was shooting a 115 lb carbun phiber bow that shoots 535 fps I know because I measured it before we left hehehe. we hiked over 15 miles 1 way every day to even get a shot at these free range trophys and i was so diskuted that my broadheads failed after all that hard werk I hit every single animal with PERFECT dubble lung shots! I even have a picture to prove it so all of you pro archers here on bowsite.com can't call me a liar!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725404/archerytalk.com/Zoo%20Picture.jpg

NEVER SHOOT A RAGE BROADHEAD THEY DON'T Werk.

Fortyneck
December 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
:rofl::ROFLMAO:

atwanamaker
December 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Its the same arrow, one pic is a day later so the buck must have rubbed against something that twisted the arrow. They are tough animals for sure. Probably got one lung. If he was 1/4ing away your friend hit too far left and only poked a hole in one lung. Didn't do enough vascular damage to caused death. Hopefully the buck can shake the arrow, and not die from infection. Would be a shame for sure.

I like Meat
December 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz :thumbs_do :pukey: wake me up when this crap is over

Havoc-Tec
December 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I havent read this whole thread but it allways bothers me when hunter put pics like this up! ******ed. I hate rage heads as much as the next guy but this is plain dumb!

apache pilot
December 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
between g-5 strikers and slick tricks right now strikers penetrate a little better slick tricks are a little cheaper. bought 3 pack of both and trying them out I really like the striker. now that my bow is fixed and still have some heavy arrows ( cx pile drivers) I still like the rages you just have to use them correctly.

please explain this saying

TailChaser
December 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
might explain why barbed heads are sometimes illegal. The shot was quarting away too hard for whatever broadhead was used, period. not to mention how many ribs you have to take out with a large dia. head. People, don't take a hard quartering away shot with these things. You want to go as straight through the ribs as possible. Once you get past about a 30-40 degree angle, it's not just going to push right on in.

BOWCHIEF
December 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'll have to agree with the glace off the ribs and under the skin theory. Broadhead could be lodged under the shoulder blade and outside of the ribs. That may explain why the arrow is moving up and down, that is, the shoulder blade with the broadhead stuck in/under it is moving the arrow.

Shouldernuke!
December 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Wow, that looks like a spot-on shot. I would think that is a dead deer.

It is stuck in the shoulderblade at heavy angle I would bet he is just fine now no worse for the wear!!

TriState
December 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/paulczarnecki/379979_310843378949268_2783975 52193851_1037034_777302098_n.j pg

crazy wolf
December 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Sorry,... I just cant buy this one ,.. specially after seeing the angle of the two pics,... that show the arrow enter and exit.

Its my right to throw the white flag .... :bs:

Crazy Wolf

Hoyt Havoc
December 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Strange things happen. I've seen stranger. Tough critters for sure. Arrow might have been deflected a bit or shooter error causing terrible flight of arrow??? Who knows? I just wish that guy would walk by me tonight! I'd be broken hearted.

jeff25
December 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM

so you can not say there was a lack of penetration if the arrow went in all the way to the fletchings

mn5503
December 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
so you can not say there was a lack of penetration if the arrow went in all the way to the fletchings

"almost to the fletching" would also rule out hitting the opposite shoulder, unless it blew through the opposite shoulder and then backed out the way it went in.

Rule out a spine shot too, an arrow penetrating "almost to the fletching" into the spine? No animal on the planet would be standing after that.

That deer isn't that wide. With a 20" arrow it would still be out the opposite shoulder "almost to the fletching" on the entrance side.

mn5503
December 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'll have to agree with the glace off the ribs and under the skin theory. Broadhead could be lodged under the shoulder blade and outside of the ribs. That may explain why the arrow is moving up and down, that is, the shoulder blade with the broadhead stuck in/under it is moving the arrow.

With the arrow "penetrating almost to the fletching" ????

I think we can rule out any bone hit with an arrow "penetrating almost to the fletching" then backing out as far as it is.

The entrance hole would need to be by the rear quarter to have penetration almost to the fletching and be stopped by the shoulder.

This tall tale keeps growing. Lol

buffalohunter
December 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I think rage heads are TOTAL crap! I went on a safaree to Africa and took rage heads with me. I shot 6 different aminals and none of them died I was shooting a 115 lb carbun phiber bow that shoots 535 fps I know because I measured it before we left hehehe. we hiked over 15 miles 1 way every day to even get a shot at these free range trophys and i was so diskuted that my broadheads failed after all that hard werk I hit every single animal with PERFECT dubble lung shots! I even have a picture to prove it so all of you pro archers here on bowsite.com can't call me a liar!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725404/archerytalk.com/Zoo%20Picture.jpg

NEVER SHOOT A RAGE BROADHEAD THEY DON'T Werk.

Wow, that's one long arrow sticking through the giraffe on the left! No that's funny!

Roskoes
December 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Wow, that's one long arrow sticking through the giraffe on the left! No that's funny!

That's some pretty good photo shopping.

ullr88
December 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM

The deer's leg is back on the 2nd picture which is pushing the point up and the fletching down.

REB57
December 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Rage BH's....sound like an excuse for some poor shots by people not willing to take responsibly for their mistakes.

Really Guys...a good shot angle and it is a dead deer with a sharp stick!!! I truly think Rage or what ever BH makes no difference.

Please be intellectually honest with yourself if no one else and don't make silly posts somehow blaming the broad head.

MonsterMuley77
December 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I've heard many bad things about the rage broadheads but never actually seen it, our guides in Colorado for elk hunting don't suggest
rages to kill elk, they say they're terrible. Fixed blade presents no difficulties, I used 125gr thunderheads in colorado.

Roskoes
December 17th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have also heard that many New Mexico elk guides won't allow them. Haven't heard anything, good or bad, about the new Ti Rages on elk.

ullr88
December 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Great 10th post. You should have to change your screen name because you sir are not worthy. I want to know how in the h!@# you know they open in flight. Have you personally seen this happen? If you have and have proof besides you just repeating what all the rage bashers say Id like to see it.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! HAHAHA. Bear 191 stated facts...

bobbie
December 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I cant under stand why he is still alive,i am thinking shot with a feild tip?

ullr88
December 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Thank you for this post. I agree 100%

ullr88
December 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
26 years old and 150+ deer? Wow.

LOL He's gettin it in!

poorman
December 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I dont understand why that deer is alive. If the ops statement is true and the arrow originally buried to the fletching. I know its high but is it really high enough to miss vitals??

mn5503
December 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I dont understand why that deer is alive. If the ops statement is true and the arrow originally buried to the fletching. I know its high but is it really high enough to miss vitals??

Obviously there's a lot to what really happened that we don't know. Like first of all what kind if broadhead. Any story that starts off on the Internet with comments like supposedly this is what happened...should be questioned. Unfortunately some people still believe everything they read on the Internet.

I mean it's written down on this post what happened, must be true. To bad not a speck of what supposedly happened can be verified.

How many times have we seen on this site alone the same picture of a deer with 20+ different stories as to what happened to said deer.

People are fueled by their emotions and for whatever reason when Rage is in the title they jump all over it. Most have zero experience with the head but they read about 'em on the Internet so they suddenly become experts.

It's not just broadheads or hunting threads, it's everything today. With instant information comes a lot of instant crap information too.

mn5503
December 17th, 2011, 08:57 PM
To sum it up, I was agreeing with you and the op's original statement about it penetrating almost to the fletchings. Makes a lot of what happened next extremely hard to believe. But still bandwagon jumpers will blindly climb aboard and ignore the obvious things.

SCFox
December 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Hit them high and wave goodbye.

SCFox