PDA

View Full Version : Cam.5 cam lean question

Hoyt1967
March 15th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I've got an issue with a 05 protec with 2000 limbs, I'm shooting it for spots and it will start dropping low after 20 to 30 shots, I adjust my scope and all is fine for awhile, then it starts over again.

Here is some more info. I'm shooting a schaffer drop away, so I thought it may be the rest, so I swapped it out back to my pro tuner, still the same. The bow has dakota prestretch strings, I've got 500 arrows on these strings so I'm hoping this isn't an issue. Its definately not me, I can pick up my ultraelite or my other protec and shoot fine. The timing marks line up fine on the cams, but the upper cam has a very drastic cam lean, is it possible I have a weak limb?? Ive checked the upper bearing and all is tight, I've owned alot of cam.5's but have never had an issue like this before.

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Just some thoughts: don't bother with timing marks (holes). Time the bow according to the numerous pictures on here. I would tend to think it is a timing issue, in fact I would almost bet on it. Concerning the cam lean (which incidentally I don't feel is related to your other problem), I would check the limb deflection numbers at the base of each limb. I assume you just got this bow, and so it is possible the bow was assembled with the wrong limb.

hansel
March 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you need to put some twists in one of your buss strings. When I change my strings to vapor trails, I put twists in one side until the string came straight off the cam. As far as the timing holes, if your inside of them, then I don't think the timing is off, look for the post on cam timing, and you will see a good picture sequence of cam timing at full draw. To check it without anyone to help, I have a eye bolt in my garage ceiling, and chain attached that my bow scale hooks too, and just pull the bow to full draw, and check the timing. Then if out of timing twist cables or what needs to be adjusted to get your bow timed. But I've also noticed with my drop away rests is if one arrow or arrows are heavier than another, then you will not have a consistant arrow pattern.That's my 2 cents worth.

Good351
March 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Dude if your bow is that new and the cam leans that bad, send it back.

I ordered a safari ultratec XT3000, when it showed up it had severe top cam lean. I sent it back the next day and waited for new limbs. They said that it had a weak limb.

As I looked accross the limb faces, one of the limbs would stick out further than the other. I knew it was a limb issue.

Hoyt made it right, and it's now shooting awsome!

JAVI
March 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I really hate to start this... but is the buss yoke a floating or static yoke???? :eek:

Hoyt1967
March 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Javi, Its a static yoke, as all my bows have. This one just seems more cam lean than the others. With a static yoke it doesnt seem to matter how I twist up my y-cable, the upper cam always has some lean, maybe I'm wrong.

I just cant get this bow to shoot like all my other bows, It consistently will start grouping low after 20 to 30 arrows, I just saw the top cam with alot more lean than I'm used to and wondered if I might have a weak limb??

So Javi, what do you use on your Hoyts, static or floating??

JAVI
March 16th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Javi, Its a static yoke, as all my bows have. This one just seems more cam lean than the others. With a static yoke it doesnt seem to matter how I twist up my y-cable, the upper cam always has some lean, maybe I'm wrong.

I just cant get this bow to shoot like all my other bows, It consistently will start grouping low after 20 to 30 arrows, I just saw the top cam with alot more lean than I'm used to and wondered if I might have a weak limb??

So Javi, what do you use on your Hoyts, static or floating??

I only use a floating yoke on my Hoyts...

There is no way to trim the "lean" out during the entire draw cycle with a static yoke. The floating yoke while not perfect is at least fluid...

Take the cables out of the cable slide and see if the cam still leans... if it does press the bow and take the string and cables off... then relax the bow and check the cam to see if it is square to the limbs... If it is take the limbs out of the pockets and lay them down on a flat surface... see if they are level to each other and that the deflection #'s on the bottom match... If they don't that is your problem... if they do then swap the top limbs to the bottom and put the bow back together and see what happens... Adjust the yoke to remove the "lean" at either full draw or brace... whichever you prefer... and see what happens... If there is no difference send it back to Hoyt... Course you might try putting the floating yoke that cam on the bow back on it and see if it cures your problem...

P.S. ... if you are using an after market cable slide... check that the groove depth is at least equal to the factory Hoyt slide...

Hoyt1967
March 16th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Good stuff Javi,

I'll ck the limbs like you stated, I do have the factory strings so if the limbs ck out I'll swap them out. I have been to the point of putting this thing on the classifieds but will give it one more chance.

I've never had a bow that I would have to send backto Hoyt, does this happen from time to time???

JAVI
March 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Not very often although like everyone else they screw up once in awhile...

The dropping low after a few shots sounds more like a reference point issue than a bow problem... The "lean" if that is what it is would usually cause left and rights... from string oscillation.

you could alway send it to me and I'll take a look...

Jabwa
March 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hoyt1967:

Would you really sell this bow to someone in the classifieds without fixing it first? You have a warranty, the next guy doesn't!!! :angry:

Hoyt1967
March 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Jabwa, Did I say I was going to sell this to someone??? No, I said I was to the point of selling it. Its not on the classifieds if you look, and by the way thats where I bought it!!!! So ck my feedback and see how many people I've screwed, then come on here and show me your stupid smiley face.

Hoyt1967
March 16th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Javi,

I removed my strings from my cable guard and the upper cam came straight, answered the limb question, so I dug a little deeper, I removed the serving from my y cable where my rest cord goes and there were 3 cut strands, I'm not sure if this cable is stretching or not but it cant be good, so my final question is who makes a good y cable that has a floating yoke? I've got vapor trail strings on one bow and these are dakota prestretch. I dont mind the factory strings, I just hate the 180 degree peep rotation with them.

Thanks for all your help.

atlasmlc
March 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hoyt1967,
I just got a Stone Mountain string and Cable set in 452x...It has the floating yoke. Those folks make a pretty nice string for the money.

JAVI
March 16th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Javi,

I removed my strings from my cable guard and the upper cam came straight, answered the limb question, so I dug a little deeper, I removed the serving from my y cable where my rest cord goes and there were 3 cut strands, I'm not sure if this cable is stretching or not but it cant be good, so my final question is who makes a good y cable that has a floating yoke? I've got vapor trail strings on one bow and these are dakota prestretch. I dont mind the factory strings, I just hate the 180 degree peep rotation with them.

Thanks for all your help.

Several good string makers out there will make you a floating yoke... I make my own; but if I were buying strings... I would look at Gas Strings, Stone Mountain and Winners Choice... I understand that Vapor Trails now will make a floating yoke on request for an additional fee... That is according to Daniel Boone... A little know string maker who makes a very good string is Bob Waddell (Brown Dog) is his AT handle...

I am glad you found the problem...

sunsignarcher
April 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
How does a floating yoke take care of cam lean?

I've got an ultraelite with some serious lean, it has WC string and cables with a static yoke. I've havent set this bow up yet (waiting for my sure loc press to come in), the lean is corrected when the cable guard is removed. What are the benefits of the floating yoke?