PDA

View Full Version : A few tuning issues

1bowhntr
March 15th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Hello, I was looking for a bit of technical support.

I have a new ProTech: 56#, 29" draw, 29" Beman Black Max 400's, with a Quicktune 2000 drop-away.

I have been shooting bullet holes since shot one. After about 500 shots, I went to paper tune again (thinking I should adjust for creep). Now I have a 1.5 inch tear right (point left) that I can only correct if I move the rest so far to the left, that my fletching contacts the riser.

The only change I have made (Don't ask me why I made the change. It was shooting just fine), is that I fletched all my arrows with feathers. Could the weight loss on the rear of the shaft effect my arrow flight this much? Im currently re-fletching a few with vanes to try to answer this question myself. I just thought I would throw my problem out to someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks

AKDoug
March 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Check your drop-away timing, that is most likely the culprit. It could also be your timing now that the strings and cables have settled in.

Jabwa
March 15th, 2005, 10:25 PM
If you move the rest way to the left the fletching contacts the riser? So you are left handed? If so, a nock right tear indicates a weak shaft. Guess what? I bet your string has lengthened and your draw length has too. An increase in power stroke (also draw weight, probably) will require a slightly stiffer arrow spine.

I would check your draw length (I hope you kept accurate notes) and exact draw weight and adjust accordingly. Perfect bullet holes are a will-o-the-wisp and occur for brief periods of time, only to disappear once again. Don't obsess over bullet holes like I did for 5 years. I would lay awake at night trying to figure it out. Now none of my bows bullet hole, but they shoot exactly where they are aimed when they go off. What more could I ask for?

1bowhntr
March 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my thread. Thanks