PDA

View Full Version : Please help a Rookie

tewfat
March 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I am very new to archery but really enjoy it, so if my question is lame please go easy on me. I bought a used bow (PSE Baby G) and did what I could to dress it up. I put on Winners Choice cables and string and a 3/4 whisker biscuit. I bought 1/2 dozen Vital Impact 400 grain carbon arrows. I used gift certificates that I had saved up at Sportsmans Warehouse to get me started. The warehouse boys were very nice and seemed knowledgeable enough to me so I can't complain about them personally. However, I am consistantly tearing the bottom vane off of my arrows. It doesn't happen all at once, just a little at a time. I've been back to the warehouse various times both with and without my bow and all they do is tell me that the glue on the vane must have been bad and they exchange my arrows. That seems all fine and dandy but it is getting old. Is this just something that I need to learn to live with because I am using a biscuit? Or is it something else? I'm not against going to another shop to see if they can help me tune it but I would kind of like to have an idea of what to expect before I go in. Also, I've already heard it all about how the Baby G isn't a good bow to learn on and it's hard to shoot, but I'm into this one and buying a new one isn't an option right now. So any suggestions that would help me would be great.
Thanks

AKDoug
March 15th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Turn your arrows over. You need to shoot the cock vane up when using a whisker bisquit.

2ndchance
March 15th, 2005, 09:14 PM
like akdoug said turn your arrow around so the cock feather is up.

also you will find the vanes that come on arrows are cheap and will riple in the WB and eventually tear up. i suggest whenthis happens, have your arrows relfetched with some high quality vanes such as bohnings or flex fletch.

4snshine
March 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM
im fairly new to all the machanics involved with fine tuning a bow myself;however i can say what i have learned has been by hanging around the pro shop asking ? my experience has been that once i got over my embarassment for not knowing and started asking questions, i've learned that 99%of the people involved in archery serious enough to work in an archery pro shop are not only willing but ABLE to help us newbies with our new found hobbie.my advice is go to your local proshop and be prepared to get the help you need ,and you'll also find some great guys who share a similiar interest. good luck and good shooting!

tewfat
March 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice and vote of confidence. I'll continue to read and learn and hopefully one day I'll be to the point where I can offer some advice.

granny
March 17th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I also shoot with a wiskerbisket but have no troubles like you are having.
I shoot with feathers are you using plastic ? Maybe that is the problem??
good luck !

tjb357452
March 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with the Baby G. It will shoot as well as any other bow. It has been one of the largest selling bows of all time and is still a favorite for many. Don't let anybody tell you the Baby G is a bad bow. It's fast, reliable, and accurate.

bow_obsession
March 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I had the same problem with the whisker biscuit on my LX. I finally gave up and put a Drop Zone on it and I have never looked back. I am not bashing the WB, it just didn't work for me and the plus was my groups tightened up a lot, and I picked up about 8fps. I put the DZ on my Switchback and I am getting ready t pu the Shaffer MAT-1 on next week. You will change rests, sights, stabilizers, etc., etc. over and over (I said I wouldn't do it either) once you really get into this. I would look for a used drop away, or go to the local shop and see if they will let you try one out. You can get a decent drop away for about $50 new (NAP 2000GT or 2000) and even cheaper used. Look in the classifieds here or ebay. Don't worry about what bow you shoot either. It's like Fords and Chevys...only opinion. As long as you like it and it shoots well in your hands, then it is the perfect bow. Good Luck, and remember...the only dumb question is the one you never ask :cool: