PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else using Phat Heads?

Thermodude
December 20th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hello all.....has anyone else tried these heads, if not you should I cant say enough about them. The fist thing that really got me started on them was how great they fly, I didnt make any changes at all to my bow settup. Im shooting a D340 at 29" and 70lbs. My hunting arrows with the 100gr heads come in at 385gr. This past fall I took a nice 8pt at 40yrds quarting away................the arrow entered at the back rib braking it and passing through to the shoulder blade..........busting all the way through and falling to the ground. I couldnt have ask for better results! If you combine all this with liftetime sharpening from Steel Force its a great deal. Ive been bow hunting for over 30 years and have used many different heads fixed blade and mechanical...............but Im pretty sure Ive found the one Im staying with.

Timber Troll
December 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Fantastic Broadheads, I've taken two elk, an antelope and several deer with them and they perform flawlessly. Excellent quality............. as to the lifetime sharpening, good luck with that. Been there and it wasn't pretty.

TomBuck2
December 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I love them and the S.O.B phat heads. They fly great and they got better penetration than my Montecs in my target. They also have leave great blood trails.

jerinmn
December 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
385# why so light? J/K. I love em so far. I havent shot anything with them yet but they group great @ 70yds.

Thermodude
December 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hey jerinmn,

Im sure you will love the performance you get out of them...........as for my arrow weight, 385gr really isnt that lite for whitetail and take my word for it we have some large corn fed deer where Im at! The one I spoke about in my 1st post field dressed at 180.............as I posted it was a quarting away shot at 40 yards and the arrow broke ribs in and out plus busted clean through the shoulder blade............I cant ask for more. Im carefull about my shots and Ive passed on many over the years...........I guess its all about knowing your equipment and what it will do.

jerinmn
December 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
^^^^ I was just joking around on the arrow weight. I couldnt agree more with shot placement and knowing you equipment. I was shooting a 380 gr arrow last yr. I took a small 7 pt buck it was my first deer with a bow. I made a bad shot that worked out ok. I didnt realize my jacket sleeve stuck out as far as it did. My string caught it and sent the arrow left. Went through the shoulder blade, rib bone, lungs, rib bone and 4" of dirt. And that was with a rage 3 blade. I was hunting a big seer this yr and my neighbor shot him. Dressed out at 204 lbs. Really wanted to test my phatheads on it. Oh yeah i also missed an elk with them. MY FAULT on that one.

alwayslookin
December 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all of the kind comments.........and the well deserved and totally accurate assessment of the worst customer service ever received from Steel Force.....by Timber Troll (it was a mess and in part my fault).........When I get the company back tracking I will reach out to you Tom. It has been a rough year to say the least.
It is true that we are currently in a restructure at Steel Force..........and sincerely want to Thank all of our loyal customers for their support and patience.........we/I anticipate that 2012 will bring greater availabillity and better customer service for all.
I will keep everyone in the loop.
Blake

HuntinFreak
December 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
I was looking through Witey' test last night on this forum and saw how well they did!

Timber Troll
December 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all of the kind comments.........and the well deserved and totally accurate assessment of the worst customer service ever received from Steel Force.....by Timber Troll (it was a mess and in part my fault).........When I get the company back tracking I will reach out to you Tom. It has been a rough year to say the least.
It is true that we are currently in a restructure at Steel Force..........and sincerely want to Thank all of our loyal customers for their support and patience.........we/I anticipate that 2012 will bring greater availabillity and better customer service for all.
I will keep everyone in the loop.
Blake

Good to hear from you Blake. Still a big Steel Force fan and anxious for the release of the new shorter version of the three blade head. Happy holidays to you and yours.

alwayslookin
December 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM
Good to hear from you Blake. Still a big Steel Force fan and anxious for the release of the new shorter version of the three blade head. Happy holidays to you and yours.

That one will be mid year at best.........we have to dedicate the limited resources to the new Turkey heads and the new single bevel (both take less capital)......but they will be good !!!!!!

Whitey375
December 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I was looking through Witey' test last night on this forum and saw how well they did!

Yes they did, I have compared them to an AP round for your bow numerous times, lol.

Thermodude
December 22nd, 2011, 06:11 AM
Its good to hear that 2012 holds better prospects for the company.............you really do have great broadheads!

mattador96
January 15th, 2012, 12:33 AM
A truly great head that should not be overlooked.

HuntinFoolUtah
January 15th, 2012, 02:43 AM
What kind of blood trails are you guys getting?

alwayslookin
January 15th, 2012, 06:52 AM
What kind of blood trails are you guys getting?

Search the post by fliniginairos............his is pretty typical , and he hits the shoulder....so there are a lot of holes to line up.
I can go into a long egg head post as to why heavy bladed COC heads will leave a better blood trail..........but eyes glaze over LOL.
Typically..........blood trails from our heads are atypically profuse.
In short ......edge integrity has a lot to do with how well the exit hole bleeds.......in our experience, you start to see the advantages around .040.......which is pretty standard thickness........most of ours are .048-.080 main blade........I watched a deer die last week....2 bounds......dead.......it happens quite a bit with COC heads.......mine was a Phathead.

Thermodude
January 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Search the post by fliniginairos............his is pretty typical , and he hits the shoulder....so there are a lot of holes to line up.
I can go into a long egg head post as to why heavy bladed COC heads will leave a better blood trail..........but eyes glaze over LOL.
Typically..........blood trails from our heads are atypically profuse.
In short ......edge integrity has a lot to do with how well the exit hole bleeds.......in our experience, you start to see the advantages around .040.......which is pretty standard thickness........most of ours are .048-.080 main blade........I watched a deer die last week....2 bounds......dead.......it happens quite a bit with COC heads.......mine was a Phathead.

So far I havent had to worry much about the blood trails while using these heads becuase the animal fell within site, but from what I can tell no problem. Thye fly great, they are very well built and they work for me..............

DTales
January 17th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'm a believer:exclaim:

mattador96
January 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I am surprised that we don't here more about these heads.

-bowfreak-
January 19th, 2012, 10:17 PM
That one will be mid year at best.........we have to dedicate the limited resources to the new Turkey heads and the new single bevel (both take less capital)......but they will be good !!!!!!

This is the head I am excited about! Can't wait to put a couple through some KY gobblers.

StoneChaser
January 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I bought a pack to try last year but ended up returning them (main blade looked amazing and was SHARP, but I was nervous of the paper thin bleeder blades possibly breaking off more than others and having to dodge them while field dressing).

Just seems odd to have the thickest main blades in the industry with the thinnest bleeders....I'd have preffered a little more balanced approach.

I've no doubt they'll carve up critters, but has anyone found the tiny bleeder blades on the Phatheads to be a weak point?

GoosebyFLuFLu
January 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I first thought you were talking about the sticker phat head thing. lmao

alwayslookin
January 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I bought a pack to try last year but ended up returning them (main blade looked amazing and was SHARP, but I was nervous of the paper thin bleeder blades possibly breaking off more than others and having to dodge them while field dressing).

Just seems odd to have the thickest main blades in the industry with the thinnest bleeders....I'd have preffered a little more balanced approach.

I've no doubt they'll carve up critters, but has anyone found the tiny bleeder blades on the Phatheads to be a weak point?

StoneChaser,
The light bleeders are actually designed that way for a reason.
Our bleeder will give way in the event of a collision with heavy bone, allowing the least amount of energy to be taken away from the main blade , which really is the containment for all of the arrows energy. If the main blade hits heavy bone, it also has the advantage of being a cutting surface (reduced friction) and it is so heavy (080) that the edge integrity is superior so it loses even less penetration potential.
Penetration is paramount with any head, as 2 holes , regardless of size , increases the likelihood that blood will hit the ground, aiding in retrieval.
I can go into a lot of complicated explanations, but when we made our Hellfire series........with 048-055 main blades and 040 bleeders.........we saw less consistent penetration results.........with our Phathead........our testing (and that of others) has proven the theory in spades......on all kinds of media.