PDA

View Full Version : is this nocked correctly?

pbwhite
March 16th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Isn't the arrow supposed to be in the center of the berger hole? I can't get a low tear out of my LX and I was wondering if the arrow is knocked too high or low on the string if it would cause a low tear. The only way I can seem to get the tear out is if I nock the arrow ridiculously high. What should I do?

rogbo
March 16th, 2005, 06:36 PM
ummmm... not to sound silly but is this how you generally nock the arrow when shooting? With the cock fletch (white one) up? If so, then the yellow ones are striking the launcher arms of your rest and causing all sorts of havoc even with feathers. Try turning the shaft 180 degrees so the white one is down, passing between the arms. Contact of this kind can manifest itself as either a high tear or a low tear that will not go away. Other than that it looks ok as far as position goes. Also I have had an arrow that is way out of spine show vertical tears that would not go away.

PA.JAY
March 16th, 2005, 06:36 PM
my arrow runs 1/2 way across the BHOLE the top of the shaft being 1/2 try dropping your rest down & knock up a little . most mathews that i seen the nock runs straight or up a little .

Jabwa
March 16th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Is your arrow perpendicular to the string or to a line attached to both axles?

Top Cat
March 16th, 2005, 07:25 PM
rogbo, I think that is a launcher arm rest not prongs. I could be wrong but it looks like an arm to me.

pbwhite
March 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM
It is a star hunter type rest, not a two prong style. I have the feathers turned so they go perfectly through although I would like to bar shaft tune, there is possibly a slight bit of contact.

Jabwa, should my arrow be perpendicular to the string or to a line running between the axles? It is currently perpendicular to the string.

It is already nocked a hair bit high but to get the tear out i have to nock it ridiculously high. I was mainly wondering if i move my rest and my nock both down, if this would help.

Mainly I am wondering if the arrow has to be in the exact center of the string with the exact distance between the wheels to shoot correctly.

bfisher
March 16th, 2005, 08:19 PM
pb, the answer to your question is "NO". Your arrow does not have to be in the center of the bow (or string as you put it). In fact there is no way to get it there. Pretty much these days that's where the shelf is located. And it doesn't matter anyway. You should still be able to tune the bow.

Years ago the grip was in the physical cneter of the bow and we could still tune them, even though the rest was about 3" above center.

I would try bare shaft tuning post-haste. And for what it's worth I have used a Star Hunter rest extensively with release shooting, and always with good results.

pbwhite
March 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM
yeah i have always used a star hunter bfisher and i've always been able to get bullet holes. I can't understand why I can't with my LX. I wonder if the shorter brace height has anything to do with it....Even though I can't get a perfect bullet hole, my broadheads are hitting the same as my field tips which is what I am striving for but I still can't stand it and I want a bullet hole. Its just constantly in the back of my head and I think my bow isn't tuned if its not shooting bullet holes.

Also it seems like every now and then I can see a little bit of movement in my arrow and I can't stand it.

TANC
March 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM
If your broadheads and field tips are precisely the same place, and they are going where you are aiming, forget about the papertune. It's overrated anyway. You're getting the best of all worlds already. Papertuning is not the end all.

archeryguyrds
March 16th, 2005, 09:11 PM
are you shooting w/fingers or a release :confused:

pbwhite
March 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM
release

Top Cat
March 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
If your broadheads and field tips are precisely the same place, and they are going where you are aiming, forget about the papertune. It's overrated anyway. You're getting the best of all worlds already. Papertuning is not the end all.
What he said! You have to relax man. It seems to me you have the bow shooting great as it is. I had an LX and could not get it to do the paper tune so I said the heck with it. Then I sold it on ebay :)

Ian
March 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Just raise the nock point or lower the rest. If you got a low tear. The arrow does look like it's pointing upwards a little. Most of the time the arrow would be level or point a little down. Single cams usually start with a 1/4" to 3/8" nock height. Go up or down from there.

LXtuner
March 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM
To me it looks like the cock feather is hitting the bottom of the sight. It may just be the picture but the sight looks really low.

Antlernut
March 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
good call LXtuner. After relooking the pic i see that too. You may want to try a straight fletched arrow also.

pbwhite
March 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM
yeah the picture makes it look like the feathers may be hitting the sight but I checked to make sure and they are clearing the sight by a good bit. I think I need to just bare shaft tune and tweak my rest a little more. I can't stand it if I can't get a bullet hole. It just seems like I can see a little movement in the flight of my arrow and I can't stand that.

archeryguyrds
March 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE= Even though I can't get a perfect bullet hole, my broadheads are hitting the same as my field tips which is what I am striving for but I still can't stand it and I want a bullet hole.[/QUOTE]

You can't have them both. Sight it in with a high nock setting to get your bullet hole, Then get another sight for your broadheads. I checked with "mathews" and that what they told me. Take care!

rwduncan
March 17th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I have a new Mathews and reading the Mathews web page on the faq page they stated that every Mathews (kind of hard to believe "but") set your center shot at 13/16th from riser to center shaft. Set nock (not rest) to square and raise 1/8 th inch. The shop had set my new bow and I just was not shotting a nice paper bullet hole or grouping that great.
I removed my nock, set center shot 13/16th's, nocked 1/8 high with arrow center on berger hole and shot a bullet hole that even a bullet couldn't equal. I was shotting through news paper and at 6 or 7 feet I could hardly see the hole!

I also had 3 arrows, same brand (Carbon Impact Fat Shaft) but one inch longer that would shot tail left about 1/4 inch. So your arrows spin can also be the problem.

tjb357452
March 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM
It appears to me that you're nock low for a solo cam. You're where I usually start when setting up a new bow. In every solo cam I've set up I've had to raise the nocking point to achieve level exit. (Or lower the rest).

pbwhite
March 17th, 2005, 11:24 PM
i'm already nocked about 1/8th of an inch high. If I nock it much higher it looks really weird. The arrow looks like it is pointing way down. I think maybe it is the spine of my arrows. I'm gonna try a different weight head and see if that helps.