PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Public Land?

Big E TN
December 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thinking about heading to the land of oz next year. Ive never been before and want to see a new place, would like to try and bag a nice one in all the big buck states during my life. Anybody able to point me in a good general area to hunt public land. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!

zap
December 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>:lol:<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Meleagris1
December 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Thinking about heading to the land of oz next year. Ive never been before and want to see a new place, would like to try and bag a nice one in all the big buck states during my life. Anybody able to point me in a good general area to hunt public land. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!

For starters just pick the county with the most B&C entries, then locate 3 large tracts of public land and have at it! Plenty of good public land out there.

hntnksn
December 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Booner behind every tree

Too bad all the trees are gone

jhunter1
December 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
I've only been to NW Kansas for hunting and I saw a lot of good deer there. Find some public land and put your time in. Good luck it's not easy but do able.

kscumminsdriver
December 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM

Wilson Lake... good public land, big deer, little hunting pressure during archery season... but, you will have to hunt hard to get it done.

Liv4Rut
December 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
We went out by Axtell in 08 early muzz. Slow action but tons of sign. It was just a bad week to go as it was in the mid 80s. I did see one big one on a stalk but no shot. I know it would of been pretty good out there during the rut. There was definitely some great looking pieces to bowhunt.

crockett
December 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
i got three letters for ya.......C R P ! i love that ****!

JWaltrip
December 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Try Jackson and Maple county, loaded with deer and public land.

Whack/Stack
December 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Here is some good reliable information: http://barringer.bowhuntingroad.com/category/hunting-information/kansas/

I enjoy hunting Kansas, I have been there four times since 2005. Feel free to PM me if you don't find what you want at that link but there is a lot of good info there.

Big E TN
December 23rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Here is some good reliable information: http://barringer.bowhuntingroad.com/category/hunting-information/kansas/

I enjoy hunting Kansas, I have been there four times since 2005. Feel free to PM me if you don't find what you want at that link but there is a lot of good info there.
Good info, Thanks!

buckbowhunter1
December 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM
KScumminsdriver when was the last time you hunted Wilson? Been there for the last four years last year there were 4 different groups of non residents hunting the week of Nov. 7. That was just the ones that I saw a buddy went out the firstweek and said there was alot more hunters than previous years.

NC Kansas
December 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Public land is getting more pressure every year as more land is leased and our state is selling more tags. If you are an out of stater wanting to hunt public in Kansas I would think long and hard about spending the money to do so. I would look at an outfitter first.

hntnksn
December 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM
KScumminsdriver when was the last time you hunted Wilson? Been there for the last four years last year there were 4 different groups of non residents hunting the week of Nov. 7. That was just the ones that I saw a buddy went out the firstweek and said there was alot more hunters than previous years.

I was thinking the same thing.

Up until 5 yrs ago I hunted public exclusively and rarely saw another hunter that has since changed.

I've noticed a lot of the NR hunters bring their disrespectful hunting tactics with them.

zap
December 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Merru Christmas to all the other Kansan's.

James Vee
December 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM
^^^and KS nonresidents.

kansasheadhunt
December 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Many problems with hunting public land, at least here in Central Kansas. Your tree stands, blinds, cameras, etc. are never safe from others. You get in your stand early and just about the time the deer are moving, here come some other hunters walking through in front of you. That is, if there isn't somebody else already in your stand when you get there. This all has happened.

hntnksn
December 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Many problems with hunting public land, at least here in Central Kansas. Your tree stands, blinds, cameras, etc. are never safe from others. You get in your stand early and just about the time the deer are moving, here come some other hunters walking through in front of you. That is, if there isn't somebody else already in your stand when you get there. This all has happened.

Sad but true

bigox
December 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Up until 5 yrs ago I hunted public exclusively and rarely saw another hunter that has since changed.

I've noticed a lot of the NR hunters bring their disrespectful hunting tactics with them.
I've hunted Kansas since 2003 and love it, but there are just as many if not more hunters with no ethics at all that are residents. Pheasant hunt with slugs? Buy tags after you kill? There are slobs everywhere but there are also a lot of good honest hunters who have every right to hunt other states than their own. If the hunting shows would quit telling everyone there's a giant behind every other tree that would help. The area I hunt needs to get its poaching problems under control, a lot more than they need to worry about non residents. Still a great time every year and plan on going back, even though only killed two good bucks since 2003.

James Vee
December 25th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think one of the biggest problems is when they made KS resident tags archery or rifle. A lot of the unethical rifle hunters you see that aren't wearing orange or are hunting from their pickups are the resident bowhunters that think that rifle season is their chance to run around and be an idiot. They are bowhunters, who have never rifle hunted and don't know how to. Bowhunters who think that a bore-sighted rifle is rifle ready for hunting. And yes I have seen it.

buckbowhunter1
December 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
James maybe you should talk to some of the wardens and they will tell you a different story. I have talked to 3 different wardens and most of the problems are not coming from local bowhunters. Maybe you should read the officers logbook and see what it says.

mnbirddog
December 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Was on a lot of walk in in Smith County pheasant hunting this year. Tons of deer, and I saw guys who had shot 2 monsters, and found one that was pretty nice but wasn't recovered. That's where I'd go. I saw at least 20 p&y bucks running around during broad daylight in 2 days. That was just while driving from spot to spot.

I've been a lot of places, and from what I saw, that's got to be some of the easiest deer hunting I've ever seen. There were bucks chasing does around every turn, and the trails in the CRP fields looked like cow paths!

James Vee
December 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I've read the logbooks, and I'm telling you exactly what I've seen.

buckbowhunter1
December 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Well I'm telling you what I've seen and witnessed like two guys from Wisconsin hunting in a closed refuge. They wondered why no one was hunting there or how about the four guys from Texas that thought you could shoot two bucks one with a bow and since it wasn't big enough shoot one with a gun.

Deer Mount
December 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Public land where I have hunted is way overrun with hunters. Most of the local guys have given up on the public ground, due to large amount of non resident pressure. The belief that theres a 150 behind every tree is not true they have all been shot and taken out of state. As far as James Vee's comment about the idiot bowhunters with guns I would have to dissagree. Most of the bowhunters in my area that do some rifle hunting acutally do hunt and are good shots. There are alot of the "old time" rifle hunters who still prefer to drive out the pastures with trucks and gun down the deer. I've worked in the hunting industry for almost 25 years and the bowhunters are better hunters and acutally hunt the deer not just push & shoot. Unless your a large tract of private land the hunting is HARD at best.

kscumminsdriver
December 26th, 2011, 11:12 PM

I don't hunt at Wilson... I just happen to be best friends with a former USACE ranger at Wilson who still works there, friends with a current USACE ranger and friends with a current KDWPT ranger.... they all tell me that the hunting pressure during archery season is light.

t-tomshooter
December 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Wow thats a lot of bad stories, but who cares if you want to hunt Kansas get out there and get in there with all of em' cant kill a giant Kansas buck in your homestate!

buckbowhunter1
December 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
KScummin

Well I guess they weren't there the week I was or the week my buddies were out there because we had to move three different times because of other hunters already being in the spots we scouted in October. Take it for whatever you want all I know is what we saw maybe your buddies know some places we could hunt. If so please pm me with details.

Big E TN
December 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I can bet theyll be less pressure than where I live and youll be hunting for something other than a spike!!!!!

Hespler
December 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Many problems with hunting public land, at least here in Central Kansas. Your tree stands, blinds, cameras, etc. are never safe from others. You get in your stand early and just about the time the deer are moving, here come some other hunters walking through in front of you. That is, if there isn't somebody else already in your stand when you get there. This all has happened. Cant be as bad as Michigan.

kansasheadhunt
December 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
To all nonresidents, if you can find that piece of public hunting ground that is secluded, undisturbed, and has nice bucks then by all means go ahead and hunt it. However, as a resident I have not been able to find it in my area. You can scout early and see good sign but it changes once hunting season starts. There are a lot of factors outside of your control when it comes to being successful on public ground. My advise would be to hunt with an outfitter or lease land so you can take increase your odds of success.

zyxw
December 27th, 2011, 02:41 PM
what most out of staters fail to realize is that though kansas is big and rural there isn't that much huntable land here especially bowhuntable. most of the acerage is wide open fields or crp fields. not a lot of wooded areas so it don't take a lot of hunters to make it very crowded. States like wisconson, Penn., illinois ect have much more huntable land therefor can accomodate many more hunters. what you see on TV can lead to a lot of dissappointment unless you have some local connections.
public land here used tp be pretty good and I'm sure some of it still is but over the last few years it has really gotten crowded. you get more than 2 people on a creek section and it makes it really hard to be successful. you will push them off the creeks out into the pastures and hills

kscumminsdriver
December 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM
maybe your buddies know some places we could hunt.

Easy, you can hunt the refuge prior to Oct. 1.....