PDA

View Full Version : Bodoodle: Tuning issue?

ol'okie
March 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I've been shooting a Bodoodle Gamedropper since January 2004. It's been performing fine for me.

Lately, I've been shooting some local 3-D tourneys. I've been practicing daily. Averaging 60 shots a day.

Hours before a tournament last Sunday, I placed my arrow on the rest only to have it fall through. This freaked me out. I messed with the fins for a while and was able to re-shape them to hold the arrow but I had to raise my sights.

Is this normal for the speed fins???

Lately, I've been contemplating purchasing a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter and this has added a little fuel to the fire.

ol'okie
March 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Getting very frustrated. Sighted my bow in out to 50 yards this evening and then decided to paper test. BIG MISTAKE. I'm shooting a combination of tail low and tail left. I tried adjusting the fins but couldn't make progress. Finally decided to give up and just sight in for what looked to be correct.

I'm buying a Trophy Taker before June, bottom line.

tjb357452
March 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Is it possible you're pinching your nock at full draw and forcing the arrow to pass through the fins ? On some of the shorter ATA bows you can actually see the shaft bend due to nock torque. Your problem may not be with the rest at all.

ol'okie
March 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure what "pinching" is, so it's possible :teeth:

tjb357452
March 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM
The "pinching" I'm referring too happens at full draw and is caused by an extreme string angle that forces the arrow shaft down. It can be bad enough to actually warp the nocks. I can't think of any other reason your arrow would be passing through the speed fins without some force being applied. This is not a good situation regardless of what rest you decide to use.

fatboy111
March 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear your woes........are you shooting a loop? I have had a few issues with these rests with those who were shooting without a D-loop. As someone suggested, the acute angle measure on some of the short ATA bows has forced arrows through the speed fins. In general, in my experience and testing, I found that excessive downward pressure on the arrow rest required a stiffer spring setting. When doing so, the arrow would fall through the fins. When I switched to a loop, accuracy improved and the troubles disappeared. Also, as draw length increased, the more down pressure was exerted on the rest. I like the rest, but feel it shoots better with a loop. I hope this helps and good luck.

Kelsnore
March 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM
My guess would be who ever installed your rest never tightened all the screws on the rest which is a neccesary step in prolonged accuracy. It needs the attention of a qualified (maybe you) tech head. Bodoodle rests are pretty much infallible, but so is the Trophy Taker, although this needs to be installed correctly, then inspected and maintained periodically also! Just my freindly .02! :)

ol'okie
March 18th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

My friends also shoot a similar Bodoodle, except their's has an additional spring setting to adjust the tension on the "fall away" portion of the sight.

I do shoot a loop with a 30 inch draw.

My first impression was that the arrow was putting extreme downward pressure on the fins. But with it being a fall away, I assumed that it would alleviate much of the pressure.

I went out today and was shooting tacks at 20 and 30. My 40 and 50 yard groups were inside the 5-spot white.

So, I guess I plan on shooting this set-up until I can find enough time between tournaments to tune the TT set-up. My wife and I are expecting a child in May, so that might be the perfect time...:grin:

Thanks again, guys.