PDA

View Full Version : String Stretch On New Bow

skywarrior
March 17th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I am in the process of buying a new Switchback. In the past, I have had other bows with Zebra string stretch quite a bit. I was thinking about marking the cam along the limb with a pencil, shooting a few hundred times, and then placing some twists in the string or cable to compensate for the initial stretch. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and what do I stretch, the string or the cable? Any help would be appreciated.

RobN
March 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Mathews cams have two timing marks (actually they are holes). Your pro shop should be able to show you these and explain how to line them up. You adjust the cam by twisting the string or busse cable (or removing twist from on or the other). You want to make sure your axle to axle measurements are correct and then adjust your cam rotation by twisting or removing twist from the string and busse cable - depending on which way you need to rotate the cam. There might be a better way, but this is how I have done it. I have owned several Mathews and love the bows, but I was extremely disappointed with the Zebra string. I also mark my cam, so I can easily check for stretch and the zebra was a constant headache. :angry: I switched to a winners choice string and I have only made one adjustment since the intitial set up. :D

Preacher
March 17th, 2005, 09:07 AM
The String and Cable will both stretch. The string will probably stretch more because it is twice as long. I'm not sure if the SwitchBack has proper cam roration line up holes or not, I assume they do. Just check the line up holes periodically on the cam to make sure they stay lined up and make adjustments as necessary.

The easiest thing to do is put a set of Winner's Choice on it and once they get shot in after about 20-30 shots you don't have to worry about it. :wink:

Preacher
March 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Hey Rob :) Looks like we were both posting at the same time. We both came up with the same answer though. :smile:

RobN
March 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Preacher, I agree the correct answer is to put on a string/cable combo that does not stretch......unless you just like tuning your bow every 100 shots.....

SpazAttack
March 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I agree the Zebra 8124 material, albeit faster, was a constant source of cam rotational headaches. Tiger's 452 material and the Barracuda's 1425 are significantly better in the stretch department and as a result fewer headaches. The SB will have the new 'Cuda string.

Here's a Hint:

Use the little nozzle pipe end that you get with a can of WD-40 - you know the red pipe for focusing the spray. Cut one in half - they fit perfectly in the cam orientation holes and support the weight of a small level without sagging. Using a press to hold the bow horizontally (no pressure of course) - just level the bowstring and using the red half pipes in the cam orientation holes to rest your level on - rotate your cam until you get it level as well. PERFECT ROTATION! No need to mark your bow up.

Small nails DO NOT work as well as the pipes. They will mar the finish on your bow when you absentmindedly forget to remove them when using a bow scale!

RobN
March 17th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Nice Tip with the WD-40 red pipe :D - I tried wood dowels and they worked but not that good.

low12
March 17th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Great tip on red pipe. On the string question, I have used Zebra strings and Tiger buss for years and after initial shoot in stretch, they never move again.

Jim

draw29
March 17th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Got a new Ovation a couple months ago. Strings streched a little for the first week, but since then it has done nothing. I read all the posts about this happening and really kept an eye on it. I have cam marked and check align holes regulary. I shoot about 200 shots a week and nothing has moved at all. They are zebra twist, but are they maybe putting something better in the strings. I couldn't be any happier and am really happy that I didn't have to lay out another $50 to $80 for new strings.

skywarrior
March 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I really appreciate all the help on the string stretch issue. If it does stretch, do you put a few twists in the string to get the alignment holes to come around or twist the string AND the cable?

Preacher
March 18th, 2005, 10:22 AM
The best thing to do when you get the bow is to record the factory specís. They may or may not be the same as listed in the catalog but if the holes are lined up they are fine and the specís are close enough. Write down the Brace Height and Axle to Axle lengths and Draw Weight and Draw Length.

When the String and Cable start to stretch and they will. Refer back to the factory specís that you recorded. If the axle length is longer and the brace height is shorter, the cable has stretched. Cable stretch will also decrease poundage and draw length. If you have any increase in poundage and the draw length is longer the string has stretched. Normally they will both stretch some but the string will stretch more because it is longer. The stretch is so slow sometimes that as it is stretching you just get use to it because the cable stretch will sometimes offset the string stretch making it hard to tell for the casual shooter. Thatís why you need to record you factory specís so you will have something to refer back to.