PDA

View Full Version : What's my next move???

heavyarrow
March 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM
OK here's my deal. Just switched to carbons from alums and I'm semi new at this self tuning thing.
My setup is this....
Martin RazorX 70#
GT XT Hunters 7595 100 gr tips
3" offset vanes
Originally I shot without moving anything from the old setup, my arrows grouped decent, but I could detect an imperfect flight by eye so I knew I had to paper tune.
I started out with a low right tear. Moved my knock up and my rest in to the riser, until I was getting nice holes.
Started shooting again and my groups were tighter, but drifting low and right the farther away I got. At 32 yds I hit perfect in the lower right spot on a block, aiming dead center.

What do I do next? Move my pins? Move my rest? Combo of both, adjusting rest left/right, and pins for the up down?

archerycenter
March 17th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Unless your arrows are at least 30" or more, your arrows a probably over spined. You could try a 125 gr. point.

However I wouldn't go that rought. Don't worry about getting a heavy arrow set up. If it weighs somewher around 390-400gr. (or more) you are fine for any north American animal. If your arrows are shorter than 30" I would go with a 55/75 and shoot a 100gr. point.

Good luck.

heavyarrow
March 17th, 2005, 06:17 PM
About the 100 gr over spined deal, normally I am using 125 gr heads for deer and I was right on the edge so I went with the heavier spine. For what ever reason I just figured I'd use 100 gr for turkeys, if I can make them work fine, if not I'll bump back up to the 125.

If I can get the 100 gr heads to work(good grouping with good flight) is there any other drawback to an over spined setup?

bow_obsession
March 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
You will get inconsistant grouping and erratic flight if you are overspined. If you are wanting to use 100gr for turkey, just get a half doz. 5575's for that purpose. The only adjustment you may have to make would be your sight. The weight difference isn't that much, maybe 14 or 15 grains, but it could be enough to make you shoot higher. Good Luck