PDA

View Full Version : Topped out on my sights?????

IMADMAN
March 18th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Ok, I finally got my bow to shoot some decent, size groups. Now I can no longer use my 20yd. pin as my riser blocks it.
I'm using a release and my anchor point is under my chin,also using a peep and kisser. I hope that's enough info. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tjb357452
March 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
You'll have to raise your anchor point. I've run into this on some bows and not others. The window height on some bows is just not tall enough to accomodate a low anchor position.

So.OH_bowhunter
March 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
You'll have to raise your anchor point. I've run into this on some bows and not others. The window height on some bows is just not tall enough to accomodate a low anchor position.

hit the nail on the head.

bfisher
March 18th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Applesolutely correct.

Bobmuley
March 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM
If your anchor position is solid, and its what you've been using for along time, I'd rather get a different bow before I moved my anchor position.

The secret to finding a sweet shooting bow is finding the bow that fits YOU! Not vice versa. :shade:

Some other things to check before you go changing anyting: :shade:
Tiller - is it even?
timing - is it at least close?
rest height - if its any higher than the berger hole you could save some elevation there...in your case I might even go a little below the berger hole.
Loop - Where is your loop (if you're using one)? if you tie both knots below the nock you can get some of your sight picture back. Won't have to change YOUR anchor point, but you will have to move the peep and sight down.

If none of those work I still have some 690 grain 2419s that slow you down so much you'll have to run your sight all the way down to the arrow shelf. :D

Techy
March 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Your anchor is too low. Change the bow or the anchor :smile:

LXtuner
March 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I agree with the others. You'll have to find a way to lower your peep or get a bow with a taller sight window. Changing your anchor point is cheaper though. :D

IMADMAN
March 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Thank's everybody,
Well it seems that, I will try some of the things Bobmuley suggested if all fails,
then I will try moving my anchor point. I just gotten into it again and was strictly a finger shooter for several years, about a year before I left the sport I started shooting a release, so I don't think it would mess me up too much to make a change if needed.
I wish I could get another bow!

Kelsnore
March 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Your anchor is too low! You said you have a kisser on your bow. A proper anchor and draw length would put the kisser roughly around an inch above your nok/loop. Is this the case for your bow?

IMADMAN
March 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
My kisser is about 2-1/4" above my D-loop. I'm gonna go out and shoot for a little while just to check,and see exactly what kind of adj.(s) may be needed.

fastcamo
March 18th, 2005, 10:16 PM
change the bow, you go out and shoot and i bet, you start adapting to moving your head to fit that bow, probably not a good idea.

IMADMAN
March 18th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Taking a break from shooting right now, starting to fatigue a little. Anyways even if I move my anchor point up I still can't see my 20yd. pin. I ended up dropping my rest down a little now I can see the pin,my groups are still consistent. I'm not sure if a bow change will do it,as my MQ32 has the same problem. Well i'm gonna rest up a little and try again before I lose daylight.
Thanks for all the responses.

Kelsnore
March 18th, 2005, 11:22 PM
A low anchor and a high kisser are also an indication of draw length being to long!

IMADMAN
March 18th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Ok, got my sight back on track. I probably have a real low anchor compared to most folks. between both my bows I probably have 1/4-1/2" of difference in D/L. I do know if I stay consistent, lock my arm, lock my back,check my grip and my site picture is true,the arrow is right there. BTW when most folks shoot a group is there a standard for the amount of arrows used? I'm using 6 now but I may lessen that to 3-4.

skynight
March 19th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Make sure your mouth is closed. Sounds funny, but if you anchor under your chin, and you look like MJ going up for a dunk, it will lower your anchor unneccessarily.

Unk Bond
March 19th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Make sure your mouth is closed. Sounds funny, but if you anchor under your chin, and you look like MJ going up for a dunk, it will lower your anchor unneccessarily.

---------------
You are so right about keeping your mouth shut.
Man that was a killer when i shot with a re curve.

-------------
Have some one watch how you hold your head.And help you move your peep.

Try the anchor with out the kisser till you get your peep set.

Recheck peep
Recheck nocking point.

Later
Unk :smile:

IMADMAN
March 19th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Again,thanks for all the advice and suggestions, our range opens only on the weekends, so i'm kinda on my own during the week, with the exception on logging onto here. ;)

Jabwa
March 19th, 2005, 03:45 AM
I think it might help if you could post a picture of yourself at full draw from the side.

IMADMAN
March 19th, 2005, 04:07 AM
I can probably do that, do I need a web-host to send my pic(s) or can I do it straight from my computer? The last time I tried it it said I need to resize the pic. but I have no clue on how to do that.

leblanc822
March 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM
try drawing the bow with your eyes closed, go to normal anchor point, now open your eyes. if you have to move your head to see through the peep it needs to be adjusted in the direction you moved your head. everyone should try doing this once a shooting session...things move!

IMADMAN
March 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM
:smile:
Well, I tried some of the suggestions made, and the only that worked was to change my anchor point.
It was'nt such a big deal, not moving my head around to find the peep.
(Did did move everything accordingly)
My groups are the same if not better, the only problem I have now is that I just want to keep shooting!!!!
I'd like to thank everyone here at AT for all the help,suggestions and advice.

T-Panic
March 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
My kisser is about 2-1/4" above my D-loop. I'm gonna go out and shoot for a little while just to check,and see exactly what kind of adj.(s) may be needed.

Hope you have some hair to pull out this kind of stuff can put you through the test!!! Good Luck :)

bfisher
March 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Don't know what you may have changed by now but here are a couple things to try before you get really set on what you have. I noticed that you said your kisser was 2 1/4" from your nocking point (loop). For this to be so you are most likley floating your anchor. By that a mean your drawing hand is not positioned against anything or not in against your jaw. Am I correct? I find most setups the kisser measureds about 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" above nocking point. Now for you to make such a move and still keep the kisser around your mouth and not back the side of your face, you will need to shorten the drawlength of the bow. Just using my knowledge base I would guess that it's about 1" too long for you, probably closer to 2". The reason I say 2" is because most people draw a kisser button back to the corner of their mouth. I like to say "Why is it called a kisser button? Do you kiss your wife with the corner of your mouth?" Get the idea. It should be at the front of the lips. OK, so not veryone is comfortable with that, but it'a all worth trying before you get caught up in the "too long a draw sysdrome", and get used to it.