PDA

View Full Version : Help With Shaft Selection

BradMc26
March 18th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Ok just got a new bow and I am wanting to give carbons another try. I currently have two different shafts at home. But I am sort of right on the line when it comes to spine. So I am wanting some input.

Here is my setup:

Finger Shooter
2004 LH Martin Razor X
A base Nitrous with mini-module
35-50 lbs (not sure if the limbs max out higher than 50 lbs)
26.5-27" AMO (playing with this, not quite sure which one I am going with, probally 27")

I am going to strictly use this bow for hunting with a 85 grain Wasp SST broadhead. So keep this in mind.

I have two shafts:

Beman ICS 500: cut 27.5"
Beman ICS 400: cut 27"

I have looked at the charts at I am right in between the two, depending on whether I add a few pounds in DW or cut the arrows a little longer.

I am leaning towards the ICS 400's because I think these would be a little stiffer. Which is always better for broadheads.

Please chime in.

BradMc26
March 18th, 2005, 11:35 AM
TTT.

Noone has an opinion?

Jorge Oliveira
March 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM
The Easton shaft program places a spine 500 28" arrow, 100g point (85g BH plus insert) as good from 32 to 46#. The 27.5"would go just a little more.

The 400 spine, 27" same point weight goes from 52 to 62#.

Your ideal arrow would be a slightly longer spine 400, but at this moment I would use the 400 (always supposing you want to shoot 50#).

tjb357452
March 18th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Ran both your 400 and 500 Beman selections through Archers Advantage and they both show being overspined with anything close to your bow specs.

Jorge Oliveira
March 18th, 2005, 05:22 PM
He shoots fingers. Have you taken that in account?

deerdad
March 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I just went to the archers advantage site thinking it was an online system
for spine selection. I was way off. 70.00 to buy this program? OUCH!!!
I guess I'll stay with the basic easton chart.

Greg

falleneagle
March 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM
oo i shoot Beman they kind of slow and i shoot 50pounds they are 500 and my set up is same as yours well u use your fingers but they fly great outside i found better than easton but i have not tryed really good eastons just redlines. i might try 400 for fast speed. :thumbs_up

falleneagle
March 19th, 2005, 06:56 PM
what is Archers Advantage???

Jorge Oliveira
March 19th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I guess I'll stay with the basic easton chart.

Greg

Get the Easton shaft selector program - much better than the charts, and a bit cheaper, $ 0.00 :)

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/programs/ShaftSelector2005/setup.exe

Hollowpoint
March 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM
According to Easton though.....nothing that shoots good for me should work. :rolleyes:
If you have a clean finger release...you shouldn't have to add 5#'s either. ;)

tjb357452
March 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM
The 500's fall right in the middle of the correct spine range when shooting with fingers. The 400's still show too weak. For falleneagle: AA, or Archers Advantage, is a CD operated software program that offers a computer driven arrow selection chart, a target sight tape print out showing computer driven range markings, and a bow set up interface that will estimate speed and KE based on user input. As others have noted; it ain't cheap, but it does do some really neat stuff.

Jorge Oliveira
March 20th, 2005, 02:17 AM
According to Easton though.....nothing that shoots good for me should work. :rolleyes:

You are not representative! :smile:

:secret: Only barebow shooters can achieve this degree of perfection!

deerdad
March 20th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks Jorge. Thats easy enough. We're still living in the dark ages
here and printing on stone. It took 25 min. to download the file.
Someday we'll have a faster computer.

Greg

BradMc26
March 20th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Guys thanks for the input.

Been messing around in my garage for the last few days and want to run a few more things by you.

I did some bareshafting in my garage (5 yds) with the 400's and got the vertical down pretty good for now. But the shaft is hitting about 3-4 inches to the left of my fletched arrows. The fletched arrows, although grouping well have a slight nock lean to the right when looking at them in the target.

Since I am left handed, doesnt this indicate a weak spine with the bareshaft? Someone mentioned earlier that the 400's would be weak and to go with the 500's. This is what has me confused.

I thought the 400's were stiffer in spine that the 500's? In regards to spine, isnt the lower the number, the stiffer the shaft?

Please set me straight.

Jorge Oliveira
March 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Right. 400 is stiffer than 500.

Spine numbers (on some brands - not on all brands) indicates how much an arrow flexes when you hang a weight on them.
Tha'ts how Easton and GT spec their arrows.

The less it flexes, the stiffer - and the lower the number.

Jorge Oliveira
March 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM
... dark ages ... It took 25 min. to download the file.
Greg

It's not your computer, it's your modem/dial up line.

Back when I was a freshman engineer, a state of the art modem wold take some 100 times longer... :eek:

tjb357452
March 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry about the mis-information. The 400's are too stiff on the AA chart. The 500's fall right in the middle. Don't know how that happened. Must have been standing on my head when I read the reading.

BradMc26
March 20th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Guys thanks for the info.

But what about the bareshaft 400's impacting 2-3 inches to the left of the fletched arrows? Wouldnt this indicate a weak shaft and not a stiff one?

Remember that I am a lefty, so unless I am reading the easton tuning guide wrong, I dont know what is up.

Should i mess around with the center shot a little more before making such a broad statment about the 400's being weak?

I think that I am going to mess around with the 500 bareshafts tommorow. Just to see what happens.

Jabwa
March 21st, 2005, 01:09 AM
Cut 2 shafts (probably the 400's) 3-4" too long, fletch one, then bare shaft test. cut off 1/4" at a time until they hit the same spot at 10 yards. Nothing much will happen at first, but don't get discouraged- you have to get pretty close before the arrows will begin to converge. Spine charts and AA (which I use) or TAP are only very rough starting points.