PDA

View Full Version : bow question

mikepetit22
March 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM
i have a bowtech extreme solo that i am not happy with. i can hold a good pattern but every now and then i get a flyer that is way off. before i bought this bow i had an old hoyt fast flight extreme. i never had this problem with my hoyt. is this common with bowtechs? i am thinking of going back to hoyt. what does brace height mean?

jonnybow
March 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
It aint the bow!!

By telling us that you can group arrows and then you have a flyer, that tells me that you are failing somehow. The BowTech grip is difficult to get used to especially if you are coming from using a Hoyt. Put a piece of grip tape on the back side of the grip, this might help you.

Have fun and practice, practice, practice.

Jon

mikepetit22
March 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM
is the grip tape put on to encourage shooting with a high wrist? i did not think it was the either but it is very discouraging. i have killed two nice bucks with the bow, but i must say i was a bit lucky with one being a spine shot which was no where near where i was aiming. thanks for the advice. i also must admit that as far as working on my bow myself i do not have much knowledge as what to move, tweak, tune etc.

jonnybow
March 18th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Some folks have good luck putting a thin strip of sandpaper tape on the back of the grip which helps with hand placement repeatability on thew BowTech grips. Keeps your hand from slipping on the wooden grip is all.

Bring that bow into a local pro-shop and have them go over it with you, they might see something obvious. also have them watch you shoot a few arrows, they might be able to pick out something you are doing wrong and help you a little.

Don't give up, thats a nice bow.

Jon

mikepetit22
March 18th, 2005, 03:17 PM
thanks jon i really appreciate the advise. i now its got to be something simple. its just discouraging.

mike

buckfeverben
March 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I have found the best way for me anyways to hold my bowtech is by shooting with an open hand, letting the grip sit on the lower "meaty" part of my thumb, not in the middle of your palm but farther to the left. Doing this it's hard to impart any torque when you shoot. It takes time, but once you get used to shooting this way, there's no looking back.

Another thing you may want to look at, as far as left to right flyers, is how you hold the bow at full draw. If you are canting the bow you're not going to shoot good consistent groups. If you don't have a sight with a bubble level it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in one, or even just modify the sight you have with a bubble level and a little ingenuity.

buckfeverben
March 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Brace height is the distance from the grip on your bow to the string. The longer the brace height, the more forgiving a bow will be of form flaws.

ftshooter
March 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I will say bow techs are not the only ones to have a grip you may not like . In fact, lots of people buy a bow and the only reason is how the grip feels to them .Other people may love the grip.. Then some buy a brand they like and change the grip first thing. I have a parker and did this. It did help ..I took a grip off one of my older bows and drill holes in the grip in order to get it to work. I don't have big bucks to spend on custom made grips...

I shoot with an open hand and let the bow fall forward .but, I do have a wrist strap so, the bow ever hits the ground ...This may work better for you..

IMADMAN
March 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Don't want to sound stupid, but did you check to see if the arrow outside of the group, bent or warped?
I will have to agree with ftshooter, I to just got back into the sport. I noticed with a high grip(FOR ME) as long I hold it the same way, the arrows bunch tightly together. I know when I catch myself grabbing the grip,or putting to much pressure, causes the bow to torque in my hand at the time of release and I can watch it sail outside of the group, and my sight picture never changed. All I can say is keep practicing and try to be consistent in your form as well as your release. I've been praticing almost every day 2-3 hours,before my wife and kids come home, and I noticed a difference in a couple of weeks.Good luck.