PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded "CorkScrew"????

deadeye270
March 19th, 2005, 02:03 PM
What cause arrows when flying to have a "corkscrew" type flight path??

Thanks Matt

olehemlock
March 19th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I'll try to be nice. 9 times out of ten straight offset fletching out of a bow that is not tuned.

Hollowpoint
March 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Spine too soft will cause it also....

Crazy C
March 19th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Quick spins and a improperly glued vane will do it :confused:

PA.JAY
March 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
:p

PA.JAY
March 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Was,nt Laughing @ You Dead Eye / Laughing @ Crazy C Inside Joke ! Sorry!

deadeye270
March 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Crazy C - it funny you mention quikspins. I have been shooting 4" quikspins for the last year with no problems. I just switched to the 2.25 to try them out and that is when the "corkscrewing" started.

Crazy C
March 19th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Thats what I'm using 2.25 look at the back of the vane under the kicker on all your vanes pull them a lil you might have a vane coming off thats what happened to me.

deadeye270
March 20th, 2005, 01:06 AM
The arrows I was shooting today had just been fletched the night before and all of them were locked on solid. Any other suggestions?

bucknasty
March 20th, 2005, 08:02 AM
is it a tight corkscrew or a big one. could be contact, or it could be centershot and nocking pt is off. if its a real tight one its probably contact.

deadeye270
March 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM
small corksrew. And I'm using a trap door fall away rest and I'm not having any clearance issues.

bucknasty
March 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
are you sure you're not just seeing it spin? if not probably centershot and/or nock height.

Jabwa
March 21st, 2005, 02:30 AM
The usual cause: fletches of 2 different colors. :D

AllenRead
March 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM
Quick-Spins don't have real good weight tolerance. On a recent package of 36, I found a 1.8 grain variation in weight. The corkscrew might be due to having two vanes at the low end of the range and one at the high end of the range or visa versa.

I've never tested to see if this weight difference can cause corkscrewing. They are too expensive. I just try to match up QS vanes so that all of them on each arrow are the very close to the same weight.

Hope this helps
Allen

Bees
March 21st, 2005, 11:46 AM
small corksrew. And I'm using a trap door fall away rest and I'm not having any clearance issues.

I have helped a few of my friends with thier bows. On at least 3 different occasions I was assured that they were not haveing flecth contact problems. On all three of those and a few more I showed them the fletch contact and when gotten rid off. everything was tuneable and good to go. Yep some were drop aways too.

I used Lipstick to show where the flletchings were hitting the rest.

good luck..

Jabwa
March 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Fletch clearance problems on a dropaway? Heresy! I thought they were designed to eliminate this problem? :D :D

bfisher
March 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM
I have helped a few of my friends with thier bows. On at least 3 different occasions I was assured that they were not haveing flecth contact problems. On all three of those and a few more I showed them the fletch contact and when gotten rid off. everything was tuneable and good to go. Yep some were drop aways too.

I used Lipstick to show where the flletchings were hitting the rest.

good luck..

Bees, was it your wife's lipstick or yours?

ZA206
March 21st, 2005, 02:10 PM
Is it happening to all your arrows, or just one or two that you have noticed this effect on?

Are you shooting indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, which way does the perdominant wind blow when shooting??

Do you have any of your old 4" vaned arrows? Do they cork-screw with them on?

BTW Matt... where do you go shoot, Barefoot Archery?

-ZA206

bboswell
March 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
As crazy as it sounds, one odd color feather can give you this impression.

I had to shoot at dusk with a Luminock to prove it to myself.