PDA

View Full Version : Getting Hoyt to Specs

Archon
March 20th, 2005, 05:25 AM
First up I just wanted to say a MASSIVE thanks to Javelina and some of the other posters who give thier time to help other archers with thier tuning.

I have read through every post I could find on this topic.

I have just picked up a 2004 Hoyt Pro Elite XT 3000 (Ex Clint Freeman) he made me up a new set of strings to go with the 2.5 spirals on the bow.

I spent today setting up the bow, first thing was to time the Cams (he had not done this). Have got them rolling over together very well.

However my ATA measures 39.5 instead of 40 and the brace height is 9 instead of 8 3/4 as in the tune charts.

What would I need to do to bring this into line and do I need to worry about it? Just not sure which cables to play with??

Thanks,

Barry Gardner.

ratfart
March 20th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Barry,
How's it shoot?
If it shoots nice, I wouldn't worry about it. But I would bank on Javi and others having an answer more technical than mine! :p
Good luck to you.
John

FoggDogg
March 20th, 2005, 08:06 AM
You will need to un-twist both cables the same amount. If you only do one, you'll be adjusting the timing of the cams. By taking twists out of the cables you'll be decreasing the amount of pre-load on the limbs thus decreasing ATA and brace height. Then to get the poundage back where you desire you'll have to tighten the limbs, doing the same to the ATA and brace again. So, go in small increments. Easy process, but it will seem a little tedious to go slow. Let us know if you need more help. :wink:

Archon
March 21st, 2005, 02:13 AM
The control cable has almost all the twists taken out of it already... the buss cable does have some twists... but only enough to get the timing right??

I have the limbs wound right up would that account for the difference in brace and ATA???

Thanks for the help.

Jabwa
March 21st, 2005, 02:22 AM
Leave it alone. After a 100 shots or so, check it again. The string and cables will "stretch" as they are "shot in". This results from the string twisting underneath the serving as it is being served. It takes awhile to get these twists out. Incidentally, if you take twists out or put them into the cables, you must do the same to the string or your draw length will change. On the cam.5 you cannot use the same number of twists in the two cables since they are different lengths.

Archon
March 21st, 2005, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the input. I fully expect the strings to stretch. Just wanting to make sure I am in the ballpark.

Tony_zelah
March 21st, 2005, 07:27 AM
My guess is if Clint Freeman sets a bow up like that, I'd try it that way before I make any adjustments. We all know the man can shoot :thumbs_up

Archon
March 22nd, 2005, 01:18 AM
Tony... he can certainly shoot it better than I ever could :D

However he put the strings on without setting them up or tuning...

Think I have things looking better now. Part of the trick was learning that the base measurements are taken when the bow is bottomed out, if I do that my brace and ATA are almost spot on.

Thanks for the help!!