PDA

View Full Version : Group tuning results make no sense - Opinions

Martial Archer
March 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I decided to try a Drop Zone rest on my RazorTec yesterday. Also decided to give my old TR Nitro Extreme sight another try. I installed the rest & sight, paper tuned sighted in & group tuned out to 40 yards & was pretty happy with the results; Muzzy 100s grouping right with my field points.

I was having a little trouble with the vert. pins blocking my view of the dot I was aiming at at the 40' mark (the reason I switched sights last year) & opted to put my Spot Hogg back on.

I sighted in again & was confident that I was good to go with field points. I tried one Muzzy & the darn thing hit about 3" high at 40's. Several other shots verified that things were not right.

Any ideas? The only thing that I can figure is that the different length of the sight mount made some sort of difference but that does not make sense to me.

Thanks in advance for the help/opinions!

silverback
March 20th, 2005, 09:15 AM
are you saying the muzzys and field points were hitting together at 40 and then you put the spot hogg on and the muzzys are not 3" high?

Martial Archer
March 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Yep, Muzzys & field points were grouping great out to 40 with the Trophy Ridge. Put on the Spot Hogg & the Muzzys were grouping 3"-4" high at 40'.

silverback
March 20th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Very strange. I don't see how changing the sight would affect the only the broadheads and not the fieldpoints.

Maybe this has something to do with the balance of the bow. The different sight might be affecting what your bow is doing after the release. Maybe go back and paper tune again with the spot hogg on it. But I would think the spott hoggbeing heavier and further out would cause the broadheads to go lower.

Maybe you could try moving your nock point up a little.

ctarcher
March 21st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Karateman,

I don't know if you answered Silverbacks question completely.

I think Silverback wanted to know if the broadheads and fieldpoints were both grouping but hitting high with the new sight. You only replied that the muzzies were hitting high. Were the field points grouping with the broad heads with the new sight? If they were then a different sight bar length could certainly affect the point of impact. If not, then I don't know why.

Regards,

Gary

Martial Archer
March 21st, 2005, 05:45 PM
ctarcher,

Yes, field points and broadheads were grouping, just that the Muzzys were grouping +/- 3" high with the Spot Hogg but were dead on with the field points while trying the TR Nitro Extreme.

As it stands right now, I have the Spot Hogg on & my Muzzys, Slick Tricks, Magnus Stingers and NAP Nitrons are all right with the field points out to 30 yards. I gotta try it at 40 but think I have it dialed in ! :D

Thanks for the help/ideas!