PDA

View Full Version : Probaly Another Stupid Question?

deer dude
March 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
i just got a new sight,i see alot of talk on here about leveling the sight and setting your axis. is this nessasary if all your going to do is hunt? and where do i find the info.on this?

silverback
March 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
it may be necessary if you have a slider sight. If you have a slider sight and it is not level, it will move left and right a little bit as you move it up and down.

If it is a pin sight you can set the pins to compensate for the sight not being level. If you ant to level it, all you need to do is place a level against the sting and put shims between the sight and riser to get the leve on the sight to read the same as the level on the string. That should be good enough for hunting.

T-Panic
March 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM
i just got a new sight,i see alot of talk on here about leveling the sight and setting your axis. is this nessasary if all your going to do is hunt? and where do i find the info.on this?

What kind of sight? Does it have a third axis? Spot Hoggs web. site has a bunch of good info in they're news bulletins. :wink:

Jabwa
March 21st, 2005, 02:15 AM
Not to be rude, but you guys kill me! Good enough for hunting? What is more important, punching a hole in a piece of paper or making a humane shot on a living creature? Everything done to a target setup is even more important on a hunting setup in my opinion.

KYShooter
March 21st, 2005, 09:07 AM
Leveling 2nd and 3rd axis is actually probably more important hunting than target because of shooting strange terrain and steep angles like out of a treestand. 2nd axis is easy, you just level it with your string. Spot Hogg describes 3rd axis leveling here:

http://www.spot-hogg.com/3rd_axis_adj_.htm

silverback
March 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Jabwa,

You don't have to spend 5 days a week at the range to be a humane hunter. People are just as able to kill a deer without having their bow set up level in the third axis as long as they practice out of a treestand. I've never had a hunting bow that was leveled in either axis until this year and I have done just fine. I think it's ridiculous to call it inhumane to go into the woods without a bow that is leveled in the third axis. If a person practices and knows where his arorws hit at the distances he shoots and out of a treestand, he should be ready to hunt.

I'll admit it, I don't even look at my level when there's fur in the sight. I think it's more important to concentrate on a clear well-placed shot with a smooth release.