PDA

View Full Version : A question about recurves.

ccwilder3
March 20th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Is AMO draw length measured the same for recurves as compounds? At full draw, the distance from the string to the handle + 1.75 ? For a 28 inch draw that would put the string 26.25 from the handle at full draw.

Also, does it hurt a recurve to draw it past 28 AMO?

deadeye
March 20th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Yes AMO is +1.75"

No it does not hurt the bow past 28"

Torsten
March 21st, 2005, 02:15 AM
ccwilder3,

ttt on AMO question.

No, it will not harm the bow when you draw over 28. It depends for what it has been desigend for:

Generally when nothing else is specified, 28" of draw is expected. When you draw over 28" in this bow, it will start to stack: the resistance to your draw increases progressively but will no longer improve the speed of your arrow.

When you have a custom bow that is well designed according to your draw, it should not stack before you draw a few inches more.

robk
March 21st, 2005, 02:23 AM
torsten said it if you buy a custom you can custom the draw length for you i am a 29 inch draw and when i draw my longbow it is 28 inch draw and as it comes ot full for me i can feelt he limbs stacking which makes for a less than good feel for me when i am shooting and i know it affects my accuracy. i am ordering my hunter11 form chekmate this next month and will finally have a recurve that is set up for me
rob k

Viper1
March 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM
CC -

You can do the deepest cut + 1.75" if you like, but if you measure a drawn arrow to the BACK (the part away from you) of the riser, you'll get close enough for all practicle purposes. Any variance won't be enough for any shop scale to measure. Most good bows can be drawn well past 28". Some will start "stacking" (abnormally increasing draw weight) past a certian point.

Viper1 out.