PDA

View Full Version : LX brace height and string twisting problem

pbwhite
March 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I have no problem twisting my string and cable and getting my brace height to 6 5/8 when my limbs are backed out about 3 turns, but when I bottom my limbs out, the brace height is 6 4/8 and it seems like no matter how many twists I put in it, it won't budge off of 6 4/8. I put about 8 twists in it last night, after it is already twisted pretty much and it still didn't move. Now, it seems like there is too much twist in it, my yoke cable is twisting around each other, and it seems like the poundage has increased a lot. What should I do? When I take about 3 turns off of the limbs, I can get 6 5/8 brace height perfect.

sean
March 20th, 2005, 10:58 PM
by backing out limb bolt and trying to change brace height back to original you are changing the geometry of the bow and are probably doing more harm than good . yes when you back out the bolts the brace changes i dont see what you are trying to accomplish .I have never heard any one doing this before whats the reasoning behind it?

pbwhite
March 20th, 2005, 11:03 PM
the specs on the LX are 6 5/8 with the limbs bottomed out, but, in order to press the bow, I have to turn the limb bolts out 7 turns. I can acheive 6 5/8 when I turn the limbs out a few turns, which is where I shoot the bow at, but when I bottom the limbs out, which is what you are supposed to do when measuring brace height, I am only getting 6 4/8.

sean
March 20th, 2005, 11:24 PM
dont sweat the small sh%$. the diference could be that they take the advertised 6 5/8 off a 30'' bow and the cam maybe diferent 1/8 inch is nothing to sweat about do the timing marks line up?

Jabwa
March 21st, 2005, 12:43 AM
Brace height varies with cam size, draw weight, etc. Early in my career I noticed my wife's bow had a brace of 6 1/2", while mine was 6 3/4". I called the tech department of the bow company and was told that the factory brace on that particular bow could vary as much as 3/4". Would it help if I told you you could shorten both strings and cables and get a higher brace height and gain speed? Of course you could also do the reverse. Factory specs are only a ball park figure and the most efficient brace height for your particular setup may be quite different. Unless you want to make your own string and cables or spend a fortune on custom ones of different lengths, don't sweat it.