PDA

View Full Version : Cork-Screwing Arrows

Smokegrub
March 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM
I shoot a PSE Firestorm Lite (60 lb; right-hand) and PSE Extreme 200 arrows and a Whisker Biscuit. A couple of days ago I shot outdoors in great lighting and noticed some arrows were cork-screwing in flight and that the right vanes of the arrows were wearing. These are the vanes closest to the riser with the cock feather up in the biscuit. I was advised that the vane was hitting the frame so I moved it away from the riser about 1/4-inch. The arrows still corkscrew but not so badly and it appears the left vane may now be striking the biscuit a bit. There's got to be a better way to tune a bow than by trial and error! Two pro shops have "eye-balled" the biscuit to set alignment, but it's obvious their method didn't work. Also, the biscuit is getting beaten up a little on both sides of the stiffer bristles--is this normal?

Any help will be appreciated.

Bert2
March 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a perfect situation for paper tuning -- check out the tuning guide available through the Easton home page if you aren't familiar.

You could also try a search in this forum or in the general archery form; however you will probably find a lot of details and controversy but not a clear overview procedure. :wink:

Smokegrub
March 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
I had a few of the same PSE arrows stashed away that had the original fletch and not the Blazers. I shot 6 arrows and they appeared to fly very well at 20 yards. Maybe its the way I fletched the Blazers on my Bitzenburger--they were a bear trying to get them to seat well. I will shoot agin tomorrow in good light and see what transpires. Until then....

Smokegrub
March 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
I shot again today with the PSE arrows and they flew fine. I am now convinced that the problem lies with the manner in which I fletched the Blazers. I thought I understood the Bitzenburger, but the instructions with the jig are poor at best. I used the helical jig on the Blazers. Now that I am reviewing that setup I can see clearly that the helical jig cannot be made to sit flush on the carbon shaft using any of the jig's adjustments. I have now bought a straight jig and it will fit flush on the shaft. I have been "eye-balling" the offset since the instuctions do not speak to that issue at all. Can you tell me how to adjust it to the desired degree offset with a method that is more precise than my best guess? Do you know how I can adjust the helical jig to fit flush with the small diameter carbons? I want to shoot the Blazers but I don't want to do the work of refletching until I get some expert advice on how to do it properly with my jig.

Thanks for your help.

DennyG
March 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I shoot a straight off set out of my biskit, also trim slots for the vanes to pass through. I fletch helical for my dop away rest. I have no problem with a helical clamp on carbons 4" vanes. With a helical clamp you line up the rear of the vane on center, and and the front either on center, or slightly left or right depending on wether it is right or left helical clamp. But you will be better off with a straight off set with the biskit, less vane contact. It is not critical on the offset. Just line up by eye and tighten adjudtment screws.
DennyG

DennyG
March 24th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry i remembered you said small dia. carbons, I use Beeman ICS hunters Probly bigger dia. than what you shoot. Small dia. use straight clamp, either straight down the middle, or slight offset.
DennyG

Smokegrub
March 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I fletched two arrows last night using Blazers and a straight jig set up so that the front of the jig was offset by about 1/16 inch on one arrow and 1/8 inch on the other. The one set at 1/8 inch was pushing it since the front end of the vane was not totally flush.

Does anyone know if the straight jig (Bitz) has a built-in 2 degree offset?

I hope to get to shoot tonight and evaluate the performance of the arrows.

DennyG
March 24th, 2005, 12:40 PM
No the straight jig has no off set. It is straight. You dial the off set with the knob and then retighten your lock screws.
DennyG

bboswell
March 24th, 2005, 01:18 PM
The fletching is not causing your probs. I fletch Blazers with Rt Helical and they fly great.

It sounds to me like the blazer vanes are hitting the side of the rest, the feathers you shot will be much more forgiving in this instance which is why those arrow seemed to fly ok.

I would double check center shot, if your left vane is hitting then you likely need to move your rest left to gain proper center shot