PDA

View Full Version : My stabilizer points to the left

Aussiebowhunter
March 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM
Hey guys,

My Ultratec shoots bullet hole though paper, but when I'm at full draw and aiming at the target my stabilizer is pointing to the left of the target.

I've been shooting like this for about 12 months. I didn't notice til I put a longer stabilizer on recently.

My groups are not too bad but I do seem to get some right and left arrows

Does this happen to anyone else??

Aussiebowhunter
March 21st, 2005, 11:20 PM
Come on Hoyt shooter I need help

PA.JAY
March 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
on spott hoggs sight they talk about this letter 20 something about the 3rd. axis .

Aussiebowhunter
March 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM
It's not the 3rd axis.

It's the fact that to get a bullet hole with paper the rest needs to bemore to the right than it looks like it should. As a result the stabilizer is pointing to the left of the target.

Anyone else have this problem with their Hoyts'??????????

AKDoug
March 23rd, 2005, 12:47 AM
It does this because of cable guard torque. Just quit looking at it and shoot :D

Archersteve
March 23rd, 2005, 12:51 AM
This is not just a Hoyt problem, if it is even a problem. There are several reasons this happens.

First, some bows are not machined straight so the stab does not point straight to the front to begin with.

Second, some bows have a great deal of built in torque in the grips/riser and to get the bullet hole you need to compensate for the torque. (This is what I found with my Ultratec)

Third, some arrows are overspined or underspined a little and moving the rest to the right tunes for this problem but makes the stab point a little off.

Forth, some archers have form problems that cause torque no matter what grip they are using and this causes the same problem.

In general, if it does not matter if the stab does not line with the arrow. In a thread some months ago I suggested aligning the stab with the arrow, than coming to full draw and inspecting the stab/arrow angle. This tells you very quickly if you, or your bow, are putting torque into the equation. If you can correct your grip or form, than the two will remain parallel at full draw. Then you can adjust your rest for tune and ignore the stab angle. :wink:

Aussiebowhunter
March 23rd, 2005, 02:10 AM
Sorry I wasn't suggesting it was a Hoyt problem :embarasse I thought other Hoyt shooters may have the same problem.

I'm pretty sure it is not a hand torque problem as I am very careful with that and have had some great coaching.

The Stab points to the left the same amount before I even draw it. It is the same at full draw.

I'm just not sure weather to ignore it and continue to shoot that way or align the arrow and shoot that way. both seem to group about the same.

By the way, I did win the national 3D title last season with the same setup :p

bcriner
March 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
It is simply the torque caused by the cable guard. I had the same thing on my RazorX until I put the X system on it and removed the cable guard. Now everything is right down the middle...arrow...sight...stabi lizer...

Aussiebowhunter
March 23rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evan without the bow being drawn??

>>>---dg-->
March 23rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Put a gravity disconnect on your bow and point the stabilizer where you want it to point.

bfisher
March 23rd, 2005, 10:37 PM
I'll add that most often when a shooter is having right/left problems it's drawlength related---as in too long.

Bob H in NH
March 24th, 2005, 07:23 AM
If its pointing left BEFORE you draw the bow, as in the bow just sitting there, then it isn't torque, its the bow. If you are shooting good, which it sounds like you are, then ignore it. Sometimes people get to hung up on details like this.

--Bob

Archersteve
March 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Sorry I wasn't suggesting it was a Hoyt problem :embarasse I thought other Hoyt shooters may have the same problem.

I'm pretty sure it is not a hand torque problem as I am very careful with that and have had some great coaching.

The Stab points to the left the same amount before I even draw it. It is the same at full draw.

I'm just not sure weather to ignore it and continue to shoot that way or align the arrow and shoot that way. both seem to group about the same.

By the way, I did win the national 3D title last season with the same setup :p

You have confirmed that the angle is not changing as you draw, so it sounds like torque from grip or shooter is not an issue. This leaves only the possibility that either you are not center shot (not important if you are tuned and you shoot well - which you apparently do), or the bow was not drilled perfect and the Hoyt insert is not perfectly straight to the front. This is not important either.

I suggest that you ignore it, or that you get a disconnect that will allow you to either angle it down so you cannot see it at full draw, or that will allow you to change the angle of the stab. Only do this if it bothers your head, because it will not bother your arrow if it does not bother your head. :D

catdaddy
March 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
My UltraElite was just like that and it was not torque. The insert or the stabilizer wasn't straight. I believe it was the insert because if it was the stud on the stab. and it wasn't straight when i put washers on it the angle would change when you tightened it up, it didn't. Insert problem, no big deal just adjust with quick disconn. or ignore it. I know it's hard to ignore I couldn't either so go for the disconnect.