PDA

View Full Version : new set up

Kansas Kid
March 22nd, 2005, 01:03 AM
I recently got a AR 31 ram and a half, 28 in draw and shooting at 65 pounds with Carbon Force radial x weave 200 arrows (330 gr total arrow weight) at 27 1/4 in. I'm having problems tuning this booger and looking for some insight. I keep getting nock high tears (about 3/4 of an inch). This is also my first cam and a half and I was wondering if the cams are out of time due to the fact that I had to put some twists to get bow to specs. just wondering if someone could help me. thanks

keyman
March 22nd, 2005, 01:33 AM
http://forums.pse-archery.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24696

troy306
March 22nd, 2005, 03:57 AM
try lowering your nocking point, or d-loop, just a hair don't take much and see what that does for ya. worked for me on my ar-34. But really 3/4 " isn't really that bad. How close was your papertuner?

Kansas Kid
March 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
try lowering your nocking point, or d-loop, just a hair don't take much and see what that does for ya. worked for me on my ar-34. But really 3/4 " isn't really that bad. How close was your papertuner?

i've been shooting it at all distances from 3 ft to 10 ft

alwayslookin
March 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Make sure you time the bow at full draw and not at rest....lining up #'s with string only gets you close. Also, start from the middle peg with #'s under cable. This is a good Starting point. Then, dram back so both mods are hitting at the same time, like a 2 cam. You can do this at any draw setting. Don't sweat a 3/4 " tear, group it with your broadheads.
Good Luck.

silverback
March 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
nock high tears also commonly result from having too much tension in the rest. If you have a rest with adjustable tension, try turning it down.

Kansas Kid
March 22nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
nock high tears also commonly result from having too much tension in the rest. If you have a rest with adjustable tension, try turning it down.

i'm shooting a TT dropaway

silverback
March 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
are you sure the rest is dropping quickly enough and not contacting the fletch? Perhaps try to powder test. I'm not real familiar with the fall-aways.

Jabwa
March 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
I thought fallaways came into being so that fletch clearance would not be a problem? :D I don't like them myself, but to each his own. Good ideas so far- try setting arrow perfectly perpendicular to the string (i.e. level). If this doesn't work, or even if it does, make sure timing is right on at full draw. If none of this works, leave it alone. A high nock tear is fine in my book especially if it is only 3/4".

Regarding rest tension: I once had a bow that had a 1 1/2" high tear- it grouped great, but that tear bugged me. I finally got rid of it by locking my rest. Perfect bullet holes! Guess what? Wouldn't group worth a @#%$*!!
Go figure!

Kansas Kid
March 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
thanks for all the replies