PDA

View Full Version : FOC vs. bow tuning

skywarrior
March 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
I was just wondering how much bow tuning and FOC effect each other. Could you get away with a little lower FOC with a perfectly tuned bow compared to an arrow with a higher FOC shot from a bow that is not really tuned up perfect? The reason I ask is I want to get as much speed as possible for 3d and keep good arrow flight.

bboswell
March 22nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
It is possible to get good arrow flight with a low FOC as long as there is no wind (ie. indoors)

Get you a cross wind and you will wish you had your FOC instead of those few FPS you gained.

bfisher
March 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
What bbos said, BUT an FOC around 7% is still acceptable in most cases with target tips. Of course, depending on your choices it's possible to have decent FOC and speed by shooting small feathers, instead of vanes. Three 2" feathers like I use weigh only about 4 grains. Three 4" feathers weigh only about 10 grains vs. 30-35 grains for the same size vanes. That's a lot of weight on the tail end of the shaft.

Jabwa
March 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have used as little at 5.6 FOC for 3D- wind doesn't have much effect out to 30 yards, and there are only a few targets usually that are placed farther. Learn to cant your bow into the wind and you can correct for wind drift, although they will not group quite as well either. In my opinion arrows with a low FOC do not drop as fast, but I think idea will create a lot of argument!

Deezlin
March 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
I would download a trial copy of a program called "Software for Archers" @ pinwheelsoftware.com and try some models.