PDA

View Full Version : switchback tuning problem

bowhunter101263
March 22nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
just bought a new switchback, had a heck of a time paper tuning it!was shooting 5575 term. hunter arrows with 100 grain heads . constant tail left tear.does anyone have suggestions? 61lbs at 27" draw. ultra rest drop away rest,never had this hard of time paper tuning my ultra 2or ultra light. thanks! also shooting with a d loop.

archer2
March 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
My Switchback had a left tear issue as well. It was due to the Idler leaning to the right, which causes the string to not track straight. I fixed it with 5 twists in the left cable yoke. I now get a bullet hole. Make sure you check for the idler lean with the limb bolts all the way down, and then check it at full draw. After adjusting check all your specs with the limb bolts all the way down, and tune from there.

bowhunter101263
March 22nd, 2005, 01:18 PM
My Switchback had a left tear issue as well. It was due to the Idler leaning to the right, which causes the string to not track straight. I fixed it with 5 twists in the left cable yoke. I now get a bullet hole. Make sure you check for the idler lean with the limb bolts all the way down, and then check it at full draw. After adjusting check all your specs with the limb bolts all the way down, and tune from there. thanks for the info. i will give it a try.

PA.JAY
March 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Their Must Be A Million Of Sb. Owners Having The Same Problem !
It's Everywere On The Mathews Forum.

raw57
May 12th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem. When you finally get it tuned your broadheads wont clear. I think mathews has went downhill since the mq1 all the bullcrap gimmicks to sell bows. cutting edge my butt. I picked up my brothers $400 ben pearson and its just as smooth and faster than my $700 switchback and his was tuned in 10 minutes. I am switching to bowtech after shooting the new line they really are a superior bow to mathews without all the gimmicks.

Marcus
May 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Straight out of the box my Switchback was shooting bullet holes.

Perhaps you should buy a 10 year old Ben Pearson bow Raw57 and spend the rest of your money on valium.

L-Roy
May 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
purchase of the bow's out of line with center mass grip!

PA.JAY
May 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
heres the straight poop without all the gimmicks!! Mathews is a awsome bow BUT it's not a bow that can be bought off the shelf & shot for a month without tuning it! you have got to mess with these bow more the your 1977 ford truck! straight from factory the cam is out of time from the heat of the UPS truck YOUR DEALER should of set the timming up before you left ! they don' t! they should say come back after 1000 shots for a tune up they don't! THEY should know the correct specs. & how to press it THEY DON'T (most)
I went through all of this crap like every other mathews owner ! THIS SITE HELPED ME LEARN HOW TO DO EVERYTHING MY SELF !! THANK YOU EVERYONE!AGAIN!! IN SHORT the bow is good you got to learn how to work on it to make it better. does bowtech make a better bow I really don't know !
are they less hassle yes! are they as smooth no! O-YA if your B/H WOL'NT clear your not tuned! twist the left yoke cable about 4 times your rest will come to center!

L-Roy
May 12th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Oh, PA-------- doesn't Mathews claim their strings/cables don't stretch--they DO........

You cast stones at dealers without proper knowledge. If they don't know, they are in jeopardy of loosing their dealership. It DOES happen. Mathews does check the abilities/lack thereof and DOES pull dealerships.

To denigrate and lump all as unknowing is unjust and UNKNOWING on your part. Maybe shops in your area are in jeopardy of loosing dealerships. Others nationwide may not be the same----

PA.JAY
May 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Oh, PA-------- doesn't Mathews claim their strings/cables don't stretch--they DO........

SO what does that mean everyone know that ? should'nt it be taken care of asap?

L-Roy
May 12th, 2005, 08:59 PM
and a reputable dealer will do so before the bow is placed on display!

the GREY GHOST
May 12th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Over 60 SBs sold at the local shop.Must have been a lucky batch.Don't know of one yet to loose their smile from day one of ownership.

raw57
May 12th, 2005, 10:01 PM
PA, Just so you would know i had this bow back at the shop two times and we have it shooting bullet holes with feild points and he has checked the timing and twisted the yoke cable as per mathews techs advice but this paticular bow tuned with a 5/8" center shot. we even adjusted the rest so it would lift the arrow faster and stay up longer but it doesnt change the 5/8" center shot which would force me to use expandable broadheads in which i have had no luck with. and when i wrote the mathews tech myself the only answer i receive is use a fixed rest instead of a fall away to minimize hand torque but the problem with that is four different people shot this bow with the same results. It has us scrathing our heads and i have shot mathews bows for twelve years without any problems last week i finally parted with my ever trusted MQ1 and wish i could get it back and throw this one away because i dont feel i upgraded in way shape or form. Mathews has been a great bow for me and i have killed alot of game with them but this switchback has really tried my patience.

dtrkyman
May 12th, 2005, 11:08 PM
i have a switch back with the same problem.ive tuned hundreds of bows and never had one so difficult to tune,fixed rest over drop barely made any diff.ive gripped the bow or not gripped the bow a thousand differant ways fixed the idler lean that it had when i got it,and still the same results shot 5 differant arrows from the bow changed point weight all with no help.oh well my ar shoots perfectly

PA.JAY
May 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM
let me ask you this raw57 are you useing a TT rest ? I took off my mze to try a TT I had to take it off It was so close to my riser I would of had to cut part of the arrow holder off ! I put the mze back on perfect holes!

dtrkyman this is'nt string bashing but I put a new string on a SB put 3 less twist in the left side (i never shot this bow before) it was perfect . I'm not a wiz with bows but you got to take the cable off get it to length try 8 twist on the right side & 5 on the left see what that does. hope this helps!

soccert
May 13th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I just bought a Switchback and I knew this problem existed with drop away and it does. What I decided to do is to go with my Bodoodle Rest and I get bullet holes in about three shots. And for those who say it does not exist just read all the posts about this issue. Even the pro shop where I go tell me they have to tune most switchbacks to the inside with drop aways. I do like the bow and that is why I bought it, but this is an issue and that is a fact.