PDA

View Full Version : Help to correct my Poor arrow flying, please..

Vapor 300
March 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi everybody.

Iím new with compound bows and like to get some help for tuning this nightmare..

Iím going lightly mad because of my horrible arrow flight. I have Vapor 300 (60#) bow with NAP2000 rest and I shoot Carbon Express Selected Terminator 4560.

Here is the problem I found:
No matter what I do, or how I try, I just cant get my arrows go straight, without vanes.
It always hit in the target at the head of the arrow right and the tail on the left. I was told that it could be too loose arrow spine. So I cut my arrows 29Ē to 27.75Ē to take them stiffer (that 27.5 is my tru DL, so there was no problem with that). Well, It doesnít help. After that I try get some DW off my bow. I get bow to about 50 lbs. But still these stupid arrows go where THEY want. I have been move my rest in the center, left, right, up, down and so on and so on... But nothing, just nothing seems to help that arrows always hit the target, nose right and tail left. I have been thinking that could it bee some problem with my string?

Have anyone any ideas what can be wrong my bow setting? Just please help me, I think that Iím really lost in here with my stuff. And please donít tell me that go your local proshop.. We really donít have any PROshop here in Finland.. ;)

By the way,
I have been shoot that much that I dont think that problem is in my form..

jonnybow
March 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Are you shooting with fingers or a release?

Are you certain that the arrows are hitting that way or might the arrows kick that way after going into the target? Sometimes different targets can suck arrows into them differently.

Have you tried to shoot it thru paper and does the same thing happen (left tear)?

How do they fly with vanes?

Vapor 300
March 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
Are you shooting with fingers or a release?

Are you certain that the arrows are hitting that way or might the arrows kick that way after going into the target? Sometimes different targets can suck arrows into them differently.

Have you tried to shoot it thru paper and does the same thing happen (left tear)?

How do they fly with vanes?

I use release.
With feathers, arrows go just fine in the target. I papertest my arrows and they was ok, but I havent papertest my baresafts (should I?).
I was thinking that there is no sense to make papertest with baresafts because arrows go thru paper so nice and because of short distanse (1-2ft) it doesnt mather is the vanes/feathers on the arrow or not.

My target is so soft, that I dont think it will effeck how saft is hitting it (arrows go straight it). But when I get about 15ft and shoot shaft it allways hit the target with tail left.

My FOC is somewhere 10.4-10.7. As I understand this should be good enought..? I have 100grains tips my arrows.

tjb357452
March 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Don't worry about it Vapor. Neither can I. I set up for straight arrow entry with the arrow I intend to use and I'm done with it. I have no intention of shooting without fletching so why should I set a bow up to handle an arrow without fletch ? You can make yourself nuts fooling around with that stuff and it detracts from the kind of practice that can do your shooting some real good.

jonnybow
March 22nd, 2005, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about bare shaft tuning if the fletched arrows fly well. You could drive yourself crazy doing things to that bow!

Jon

Smoke
March 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
I don't know why but I have found all carbon arrows twitchy to bareshaft tune compared to aluminum or aluminum/carbon arrows. However depending on the game I don't worry about it too much. For example I have some GT 22 series UL pro's that defy paper/bareshaft tuning for me at the moment but they drill the center out of the X at 20 yards. Who am I to complain??? :rolleyes:

But they won't be my outdoor arrows unless I fix the problem because I'm a firm believer that if a bow/arrow combination won't shoot a bullet hole and bareshaft tune properly at the start of the tuning process then it is not the "best" arrow to use.

Anyway, my advice if you've tuned the bow to the best of your abilities and still can't get them to bareshaft tune is to try different arrows.

Vapor 300
March 23rd, 2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the answers! :smile:

You are right at baresaft tuning will make anyone nuts, if it doesnít start to get any better no matter what you try..

Maybe I just paper tune my bow/arrow combination, forget the baresaft tuning and enjoy the spring. If arrows wont start grouping well, I might have to change them.

But thanks to anyone for supporting me..

Pinball
March 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
Well, since I don't hunt paper I always just tune the bow with the arrows fletched. I get good arrow flight and speed and that's my two main objectives. If I were a tournament shooter I would probably do things differently.

jonnybow
March 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Well, since I don't hunt paper I always just tune the bow with the arrows fletched. I get good arrow flight and speed and that's my two main objectives. If I were a tournament shooter I would probably do things differently.

Funny thing about hunting....the better the arrow flies, the more penetration you can expect. Imagine a poorly tuned bow throwing an arrow with a broadhed at an animal, the arrow hits where you aim but the arrow is travelling crooked. Do you think you'll achieve maximum penetration?

As a hunter, you should demand the maximum performance from your equipment and you should also demand the best of yourself as a shooter. Practicing means more than going out a few days before the season and chunking a few arrows at a target. Bow tuning is as important for hunters as it is for any other type of shooter. Foolish answer my friend.

By making a statement as you just did, it is a poor reflection of you as a hunter.

I expect more from an archer, you should too.

Jon

danceswitharrow
March 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
jonnybow, YOU made some very foolish arrogant statements. Aren't you a big deal.

jonnybow
March 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
I have been known to make foolish statements in the past but which one in this instance would be foolish?

Arrogant?, please explain

danceswitharrow
March 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Quotes"As a hunter, you should demand the maximum performance from your equipment and you should also demand the best of yourself as a shooter", "I expect more from an archer, you should too".
When you use words such as "best" and "maximum" and tell someone that YOU expect more from an archer, you are being arrogant. What "you" expect, come on. No one cares what you expect. And you are foolish to think you will convince anyone that your point of view is right with the obvious attitude you have.
By the way, I agree with the points you made but when I see people writing or talking like you did it just makes me angry. And don't bother replying back that your sorry you weren't more diplomatic but you just call em like you see um or some other such BS. And finally, I should tell you that I expect more from you as a poster on this forum and hope in the future you try harder to be the "best" you can be.

Longhorn
March 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Vapor,

I would paper tune from 5, 10 and 15 yards with fletched arrows. If it does well, you should be good to go. I used to shoot the same bow and in order to make it tune, I had to play a little with tiller tuning by adding 1/4 crank to the top bolt. The Vapor 300 is a little touchy so drive yourself crazy.

Another good test if you're a hunter is to shoot your broadheads and FPs to determine if they impact the same place. If you can get a fixed blade broadhead hitting close to the same point as a FP then your bow is very nicely tuned.

JMHO, George

eriesigtau
March 23rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
I would make sure the bow is properly timed. I couldnt get my arrows to fly strait either untill I got it timed. After that it shoots perfect. Mine was only off a couple twists.

jonnybow
March 23rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
Hey dances....maybe after a few more posts you'll figure it out.

I don't care what you think, nor do I care what you think about me. I'm not here to make you happy and I don't expect you to make me happy either. I didn't post anything forcing anything on you or anyone else. If you think my opinion is forcing anything on anyone, maybe you are guilty of something?

I won't be apologizing to you or anyone else for what I posted, it fit the situation.

Get used to reading what I type or go away. Simple.

Jon

danceswitharrow
March 23rd, 2005, 10:43 PM
jonnybow, You just proved my point perfectly. thank you

Vapor 300
March 24th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Vapor,
I would paper tune from 5, 10 and 15 yards with fletched arrows. If it does well, you should be good to go. I used to shoot the same bow and in order to make it tune, I had to play a little with tiller tuning by adding 1/4 crank to the top bolt. The Vapor 300 is a little touchy so drive yourself crazy.
Another good test if you're a hunter is to shoot your broadheads and FPs to determine if they impact the same place. If you can get a fixed blade broadhead hitting close to the same point as a FP then your bow is very nicely tuned.
JMHO, George

Thanks longhorn.
I Write wrong earlier, the distance was yards, not feets.
But I think I do what you proposal and try to add little more pressure that upper limb and try papertuning again with different distances. Maybe it helps.
I was shooting yesterday and I get my hits ok. But what I notice was at this tuning, bow is very unstable. If there is very little if any lightly bad launch or something, it effect arrow fly and hit, very much. So just now bow isnt any forgiving.

Can you remember LH do you had your centershot close what manuafacter declare(?)?

I think that I wont start tuning my broadheds before I get my basic tuning done.

thanks.

Vapor 300
March 24th, 2005, 02:58 AM
As a hunter, you should demand the maximum performance from your equipment and you should also demand the best of yourself as a shooter.
Jon

I must say that I agree you Jonnybow!

Jabwa
March 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Right on, Johnny bow. I am sick of the statement "its good enough for hunting." What is more important, putting a hole in the center of a piece of paper or making a humane, ethical kill on an animal? Many hunters I know would not hesitate to take a 60 yd shot on a record book animal, but wouldn't on a doe. That doesn't make sense to me either!

jonnybow
March 24th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Right on, Johnny bow. I am sick of the statement "its good enough for hunting." What is more important, putting a hole in the center of a piece of paper or making a humane, ethical kill on an animal? Many hunters I know would not hesitate to take a 60 yd shot on a record book animal, but wouldn't on a doe. That doesn't make sense to me either!

Thanks Jabwa.
Hmmm, according to danceswitharrow, I am "foolish and arrogant" because I feel this way.

I wish there were more people who cared about the animals they hunt. I really don't think some hunters have a clue about their equipment and what makes it tick.

My feeling is this...you can bash me from now until forever because I care about how animals are harvested and feel strongly enough to speak up about it. I am comfortable with the people I associate with and don't need anyone else's approval, especially those who aren't ethical hunters.

Jon

Mike Trump
March 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
How did we get sidetracked from some poor guy asking for help in tuning his bow to hunting ethics and another verbal pissing match???

Please take it outside boys. Lets keep it on topic. :D :D

mt

jonnybow
March 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Well, it was on topic for quite a while until...well you already read it I'm sure.

Mike, you'd make a good moderator! :teeth:

Jon

danceswitharrow
March 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Just for the record, I agree with the content of what JB said I just have issue with the tone of it. I'm spending this entire winter practicing and fine tuning my bow and I shoot almost every day. I just dislike the arrogant tone he used. I have the same high standards as far as Bowhunting. If he can tell people they should follow his high ethical standards I can point out to him that I think he should do it in a less arrogant manner because I think that is a important standard also.
Jonnybow, Thats my point. If it doesn't make sense to you, I tried. I'm done urinating here and I'd like to do a electronic handshake and move on. Have a great day.
Vapor 300, Sorry