PDA

View Full Version : Shots move Right...treestand POI

fairchase
March 22nd, 2005, 04:48 PM
When I shoot from a treetsand that's 20 feet high my arrow group lands about 3-4 inches to the right of my aiming point at 20 yds and I can't figure out why? Any ideas?
I shoot a Hoyt one cam Cybertec w/ a release
Carbon 55/75 Goldtip arrows, Muzzy 125 3 blade
Thanks.

Bobmuley
March 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Sounds like you need a sight with a third axis adjustment (Spot Hogg). Go to www.spot-hogg.com to see what having your 3rd axis out of alignment will do to your point of impact.

bucknasty
March 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
another thing to consider is making sure you bend at the hips to attain your target. if you are lowering your bow arm and/or hunching to attain your target you are changing your anchor and head position. if you draw, anchor, and then bend at the hips to attain your target you won't change anything. it will also help keep you from doing what is mentioned above.

silverback
March 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
another vote for 3rd axis leveling.

are you using your level when you shoot?

REDX
March 22nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
fix your 3rd axis and you will be back on target.

fairchase
March 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I had a feeling it was my third axis. I'm shooting a Spot-Hog Real Deal. There is no third axis adjustment on this model. Is there anyway I can remedy this problem without buying a new sight? I was thinking maybe just ignoring my level all together while in the treestand and just shoot when it feels level. Or maybe using the level and adjusting the sight to the right to bring it back on target. Ideas please. Thanks again

silverback
March 22nd, 2005, 09:25 PM
Assuming you have leveled the second axis...

hang a plumb bob from the ceiling.
nock an arrow
draw and line up your vertical wire with the plumb, aiming up toward the ceiling.
If the bubble goes left, put shims behind the mounting screws.

if the bubble goes rightput shims in front of the mounting screws.

If you are hitting right, I am assuming the bubble is going left and you are canting right to compensate. In that case you want to pun shims beind the omunting screws.

But if you are 3-4" off at 20 yds, I think there is probably something else wrong. That's pretty drastic.

If you haven't leveled in the second axis, you need to do that first. Put a level next to your string, and put shims above and below the sight mounting screws to get the sight level to read with the sting level.

olehemlock
March 22nd, 2005, 10:18 PM
If you don't have a 3rd axis take the level off, its lying to you. If nothing else cover it up and see how you shoot.

Kelsnore
March 22nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Is it possible you are slightly canting your bow on downward shots? Just one more thought!

Fletch Helical
March 22nd, 2005, 11:42 PM
Farichase, are you by any chance shooting lefty?

fairchase
March 22nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
No, I'm shootin right.
Hey, now that it was mentioned, to get my level centered I was really feeling tilted to the right. I thought it was the treestand or maybe the uneven ground messing with my head. I'm gonna shoot again in the morning with the level covered and I'll report back.

robk
March 22nd, 2005, 11:55 PM
make sure you bend at the waist not bring your arm up and down and also make sure your not over bowing yourself and gripping too tight and not turning the bow to get the arrow to fly where you think it should. also use good follow thru and that should help you to figure out if it you or if you need to make a sight adjustment, i sent you a private message and hope that helps you out. i have had 4 shoulder surgeries and lost 4 neck vertebra so i know what sore bow arm means lol
rob k

Kelsnore
March 23rd, 2005, 12:03 AM
You just said it...3rd axis! If you need a level and don't have a 3rd axis adjustment, here is a fix. Use the trees in the background instead of your level. It works!

Ian
March 23rd, 2005, 01:26 AM
Using the bow for hunting just sight in from the treestand. Instead of on the ground. Then it'll be all set for when shooting from the stand.

Devilfan
March 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Do you guys feel that he would be better off without a level at all?

DwayneR
March 24th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hello Fairchase,

You make mention you are off by 3 to 4 inches from a stand...ARe you going from a inside range to the tree stand??? If so, you may have the same problem I had.

For many many years, I used to sight in my bow inside the Archery range, until I was hitting Bullseyes... Then when I went outside, I would be 6 inches to the left. I would then have to re-sight outside, and hunt. It got to where I BOUGHT a target and brought it with me, just to re-align my sight. When I was done, I had to re-align my sight the OPPOSITE way indoors.

It was frustratinig, until I ran into a Competition Muzzleloader. He told me that some people have that problem in his arena too... not as bad. Then he told me how to fix it...

I ended up having to go to a "No-Peep" sight... and my problems went away immediately. In the tree, on the ground, inside range, where ever... The light coming through that peep will sometimes not give you the real situation you are seeing. Reflection can give you problems... Maybe its because of my severe Astigmatism...don't know. This may or maynot apply to you situation...But I no longer have to carry a target out to my hunting grounds anymore. And Now, instead of being 6 inches off, I am only about 1 to 1.5 inches...Something I can tolerate <g>.

Dwayne

Jabwa
March 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Its your 3rd axis. Leave your level on. You can correct the 3rd axis by removing the sight mount and putting a different thickness shims under the front (part of the mount farthest from the shooter, assuming you are right handed).

fairchase
March 24th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks everyone...great thoughts here.
This is what I did. My level was too far off to shim so, first I found out what my level looked like (shooting downward) with the bow vertical (not canted). Then I copied that bubble position in the stand and I was back on spot again. Then I figured if I changed stands, heights or shot angles at all, it would effect my bubble again and throw me off once more. So, I just covered the bubble with tape and went without a level and my shots tightned up even more and know I have confidence in my ability to shoot at any angle by just using my eyes and muscle memory as my only leveling tool.

Greg

Jabwa
March 25th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Unless the deer is standing by a crooked tree. :D