PDA

View Full Version : string twist

Brad&SUE
March 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
When you replace your string .
do you put it on as is,or do you put twist in it? Why do you put twist in it and how do you know how many times to twist it?

edthearcher
March 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
if you buy at your local pro store the chances of the string having any twists in it is slim unless you buy a zebra or custom made string. why are there twists to staplize your peep for one, next twists make your string follow the grove in your cams better

bucknasty
March 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
was it twisted to start with?

Bubbahoyt
March 23rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
1 keeps your strands together
2 shorten your string if creep has occurred ( adjust draw lenght
3 Correct peep rotation
I believe the standard rule of :thumbs_up is 1 twist for every 3 inches of string . Say you got a 60 inch string you put 20 twist in .

skynight
March 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
All the custom strings I've purchased came twisted to the correct length. If the string were not twisted at all, I beleive you'd need to twist them to the lengths of the bow specs. Adjust from there for timing, peep rotation, ata etc.

PA.JAY
March 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
I Think It's 1 1/2 Twist Per 2 Inch Max.

Crusher
March 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
I generally put about 1 twist for 2" of material. That seems to get me good peep rotation or lack there of it!

If you feel everthing is good...poundage and draw length, mark the position of your cams in relation to your limbs before taking your old string off. Put about 1 twist per 3 inches in your new string and mount. Then add/take away twists as needed to get your cam back into the position you had marked before taking your old one off.

JAVI
March 23rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
If you bring me a set of strings to install on a Hoyt, I measure them as AMO/ATA standards require and adjust as necessary... then install them... (By the way... I've never found a set that was dead on the lengths when measured correctly.... Close but not dead on)

I then check all setup dimensions on your bow and further adjust the string/cables to place the bow in optimum performance condition...

Maxforce
March 23rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
I have always wondered the same thing. How could they stay pretwisted in a package?
I just paid $55 to have my strings and cables replaced. new nocks,loop, and kisser included.
Is it worth me doing it myself?

tjb357452
March 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Custom made strings are shipped pre-twisted with the end loops attached to a paper clip or wire tie wrap. They are set up to go directly onto the cam loops without any additional twisting. You can add, or subtract, a few turns to gain tune or to get your peep where you want it. I'm referring to Vapor Trail and Pro Strings products and have spoken to both owners about installing the strings just as delivered. They've both told me that that's the way their strings are shipped. When I was using Zebras and Tigers, they came pre-twisted in a box but the ends weren't anchored. They seemed to be close to 1 1/2 turns per 2 inches of string and I always installed them as delivered adding or subtracting twists as needed.

bucknasty
March 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM
hey javi, have you ever found a bow that took advertised string and cable lengths exactly? i've put strings and cables on quite a few bows, and make strings and cables myself so i know how to measure, and have found spec string and cable lengths to be lacking. (not to mention true ata and bh specs.)

WGMitch
March 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Crusher]
If you feel everthing is good...poundage and draw length, mark the position of your cams in relation to your limbs before taking your old string off./QUOTE]

Always make note of your setup before you remove your old string.

Andy Pappas
March 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM
When you replace your string .
do you put it on as is,or do you put twist in it? Why do you put twist in it and how do you know how many times to twist it?

The most inportant reason for adding or removing twist from a string / cables, on a non-triditional bow, is cam timing. Cam timing on a single cam bow is important but it is vary important on a dual cam bow.

You will need the specifications from the manufacture for the cam tuning or experiment with it yourself unitl you achieve the results you are happy with. Sometimes it takes a while to find the "sweet spot" but once you do, mark your cam / cams in relation to the limbs.

Personaly, I am never satisified with "factory" setings (or strings).

Andy Pappas
March 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I have always wondered the same thing. How could they stay pretwisted in a package?
I just paid $55 to have my strings and cables replaced. new nocks,loop, and kisser included.
Is it worth me doing it myself?

When I am finished with a string / cable, I tie the end loops together so that they do not untwist. Also, it is not important to have an "exact amount" of twist or an "exact length", all that matters is if they are reletivly close. Cam timing in relation to the performance you want is what you are after.

Is it worth making your own strings?..... I think so, although you need the right equipment and a lot of practice to do so correctly. If done correctly, handmade strings are much better than strings made in bulk by string companys. Dont believe the hype...

bucknasty
March 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Is it worth making your own strings?..... I think so, although you need the right equipment and a lot of practice to do so correctly. If done correctly, handmade strings are much better than strings made in bulk by string companys. Dont believe the hype...

couldn't agree more.

Jabwa
March 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Yep. Make 'em yourself, but be prepared for a whole new hobby! :D

tjb357452
March 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I gave up making my own strings. For a time, I wasn't able to buy a string that was as nice as what I was making myself. That's no longer the case and there are several custom makers that are producing strings that equal and exceed anything I can put together. When I consider what my time's worth and how much of it I have available; it just makes more sense to buy from a good maker. I still have the skills, machinery, and know how to do it, but don't want the bother.

H.Bessette
March 26th, 2005, 06:04 PM
It makes a stronger and rounder string,hence steel cables are twisted.Buy twisting you can tune the lenght but you want to start out with twists for strength. I want twists under my serving also. When I build a string I only serve the end-loops in my jig,then transfer the string to my stretcher and put in desired amount of twists.I then apply 100# of tension to the string and finish serving ends and center.When done I leave it in the stretcher for several hrs.When removing it ,it has become somewhat ridgid(due to the wax) and will not untwist on its own. I get no peep rotation.Jigs & stretchers available from me . PM me if interested. Stretcher $95 , jig $145 or together $225