PDA

View Full Version : "Creak" in my Vipertec

JC107
March 23rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
I purchased an "05" Vipertec in late December. It has shot wondrefully all along. Last night it developed a "creaking" sound that seems to be coming from the upper cam area. Upon further inspection it consistently occurs at the start and end of the draw cycle. I found that by placing the palm of my hand on the end of the cable guard and slightly pulling on the cables near the cable slide I can make the bow creak. It is also important to note that the sound can be created by reducing the pull on the cable and returning the slid back to its relaxed possition. A few additional points... It is not the cable slide as I did try a bit of graphite near the slide and e-clips with no luck, evrything is tightened down, I did not lubricate the cam bearings as Hoyt notes the sealed bearings on the Cam and a half system do not need lubrication. My brother in law purchased the same bow a few weeks after I did and noticed the same problem immediately. My bow developed the noise after about 300 shots. Has anyone else experienced this? I would rather fix the problem myself if possible rather than send the bow out. Thanks for your time in advance. :sad:

Bubbahoyt
March 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Do you have a target bow or is this a hunting bow ? If it's a targewt bow then read on . I had a 04 ultratec that creaked. I had to take my limbs out and sand the clear coat on the bottom part of my limbs where they went into the riser. I guess when hoyt clear coats there limbs they get a little too much in there . After I sanded my limbs the creak went away . :teeth: Hope this helped .

JC107
March 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
My bow is a hunting bow.

BOWGOD
March 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
check your limb pocket locking bolts i had the same problem with my vipertec last year we tried everything we could with the cams only to find out it was as simple as tightening these bolts up a little bit.

mhoman9
March 23rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
JC107,
Send a PM to Javelina here on the site. He'll tell you exactly whats wrong and how to fix it. Takes about 30 seconds. I had the exact same problem and I saw a post where he told someone what to do. It worked.

Mike

hansel
March 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
My Vipertec developed a creek, and it came from the bushing the buss cables attach too, I took them off and placed some wax on them, and problem solved. They where rubbing on the limbs causing my bow to creek.

JC107
March 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks to everyone who has offered some advise. I will try a few things tonight. I can say I will be very disappointed with Hoyt if the solution is to continuously apply lubicant to the bushings to keep them quiet. I can see waxing the string and snuging up the nuts and bolts, but I have owned a number of bows from a variety of companies and never had this on my general upkeep list. I guess I expect more from the company who welcomed me to the family with "you have purchased the finest crafted, most dependable bow on the market." I do love the bow but this could get frusterating. Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself.

danboy
March 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
ive got the same problem on my 05 protec. its target color though. guess i better go bug javi alittle :D

JAVI
March 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who has offered some advise. I will try a few things tonight. I can say I will be very disappointed with Hoyt if the solution is to continuously apply lubicant to the bushings to keep them quiet. I can see waxing the string and snuging up the nuts and bolts, but I have owned a number of bows from a variety of companies and never had this on my general upkeep list. I guess I expect more from the company who welcomed me to the family with "you have purchased the finest crafted, most dependable bow on the market." I do love the bow but this could get frusterating. Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself.

Proper bow maintenance includes lubing as required… Usually one application of non-petroleum based silicone grease between the yoke cable bushings and the limbs is all that is required each year… In severe cases it might be necessary to remove a drip or bulge in the clear coat or camo by lightly sanding the area with 400 – 800 grit wet/dry emery cloth…

JC107
March 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Problem solved!! The buss cable bushings were in need of lubrication as suggested. Thanks to all that offered advise.

Javelina-I will not mind a once or twice a year shot of lube if that is all it needs. My concern is that the bow is only 3 months old with about 300 indoor shots through it and it needed a lube job. Hope I'm good for a some time now. Thanks.

JAVI
March 24th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Get it wet... shoot it in a dusty environment... or heavy use and annual maintenance can become necessary on a more frequent basis...

The more sophisticated a mechanical device, the more maintenance is required…