PDA

View Full Version : Richloam WMA turkey

deerhunt1988
January 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

My name is Nathan and I am graduate student at Mississippi State University. I was searching for information regarding Richloam WMA turkey hunting. My dad and I were drawn for Richloam during the quota period this spring. We live in northeast Mississippi and it will be a 12-hour drive for us. This will be our second trip to Florida hunting on a WMA. We were successful in completing a single season public land grand slam in the spring of 2010 and are hoping to repeat that feat this spring. My father is getting old and I am finishing up college this year so it will be our last year to accomplish this feat again. I am not requesting your honey holes or anything like that, but more or less any information you would care to share about turkey hunting Richloam. Perhaps some areas you know hold turkey that you don't hunt, areas you have killed turkey at in the past, any tips, etc. We are planning on arriving 2 days early to begin our scouting and I hope that is enough time. But I am trying to gather every little tid bit of information I can just in case things don't go as planned. I can gladly tell you exactly where you can get on birds on public land in Mississippi (my home state), Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota, Tennessee, and OK Slough WMA in Florida (if you are ever drawn for it). I know turkey hunters are very secretive so I understand if you do not want to share any information. I just wanted to get the point across that I am not your average run of the mill turkey hunter and this will likely be the only time I ever hunt Richloam WMA.

I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Nathan

(By the way, feel free to PM me rather than post in this thread)

CamoCop
February 3rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
start looking around the old landing strip (airstrip rd., cattle rd. and cow ford rd.). i see turkey's out there almost everytime i drive that area. one time during archery season, i had to stop my truck on the grade road to let the turkeys cross in front of me to keep from hitting them. they are legal to shoot there in archery season but i could care less about hunting turkeys.

map http://myfwc.com/media/1387081/Richloam.pdf

Duckbill
February 9th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cow Ford rd is usually good, especially near the creek bed. Another good area is the extreme western section where the Withlacoochee River cuts the SW corner of Richloam. As dry as it is, the birds will roost over the river beds and sloughs that have water in them. One other spot is School Bus Rd. There are some big oak hammocks that usually hold birds.
Good luck!

deerhunt1988
February 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks guy! I very much appreciate the help.