PDA

View Full Version : terminating tag ends

AR Archer
February 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
This is for those of you that still use serving for your end loop. Even those using the tag end method are free to add their thoughts. What is the best way to terminate the tag end when actually using serving for the end loop? I've seen where some just simply cut it off even with end of the serving. I've seen where some carry it through to the very end serving over it when closing the end loop. I was wondering about weaving it through the bundle like some do when using the tag end method, then covering that with serving when closing the end loop. Would that be safe? Also, what about taking the tag and backserving up against the loop serving, then serving over this when closing the end loop. It doesn't look like anything could pull loose using either method, but I'm not sure. I think either way would give a smooth tranisition when closing the end loop. Has anyone tried this? What are you opinions? I really like the looks of served end loops, and was brainstorming on how to finish it smoothly and it not be bulky. I have tried and used the tag end method, but some people may want served end loops. I hope I've made myself clear enough for someone to give their opinion.

Thanks

b0w_bender
February 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Also, what about taking the tag and backserving up against the loop serving, then serving over this when closing the end loop. Thanks

This is what I do, yes it takes a bit more time and it may be overkill but since they are for me and I have the time why not. It seems to me when you whip stitch the tags at the end of the end loop it also creates a ramp like profile which makes it easier to finish the end serving over the top of it. If you are making them for customers then this may be an necessary exercise that eats into profits, so that would be a real consideration. Since I have the time I do it.

jonw
February 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM
I serve with tag ends on all my compound strings and use serving on my recurve strings and back serve my tag ends against the serving on the recurve

Trailerdog
February 22nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
I terminate each tag end with a series of 3 half hitches. Right, left, right, or however you want to do it, right up against the end loop. Pull them nice and tight. After I'm done stretching I'll serve over about 3" of the tag and then cut it off. I stretch the string until it will HOLD 320#. So it must work.

AR Archer
February 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the information. I'm eager to try this method.